Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunno what the deal is but they are now calling it Auto Club Speedway. Personally, i liked California Speedway better. :12:

·
Registered
903 Posts
You scared me there. I thought another CA drag strip was gone.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You scared me there. I thought another CA drag strip was gone.
God no! Don't even go there.:sour: Hey, you still going to Famoso this Sunday? I hear it's a go rain or shine.

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
Hi Brute,
Yes, I heard this today on a news report and agree the name California sound far better than something partnered with the club so many of us have a membership card to these days.

However, it appears they have some improvement plans that might be beneficial. Don't tear up Famoso. At least you won't have to worry about your former competition! (Hope Paul's not reading this, lol)

Friday, February 22, 2008 - 12:40 PM PST
California Speedway now the Auto Club Speedway of Southern California

Los Angeles Business from bizjournals

The International Speedway Corp. today announced a partnership with the Automobile Club of Southern California to re-name the California Speedway as Auto Club Speedway of Southern California.
ISC declined to disclose the value of the 10-year, multi-million dollar partnership, but the Los Angeles Daily News reported that industry sources valued the deal at between $50 million and $75 million.
The partnership allows International Speedway to embark on a series of capital improvements that will make the racetrack more comfortable, accessible and enjoyable. Although no design plans have been finalized, the racetrack will have new escalators, increased shading, additional misting zones and new friendly technology for interactive elements.
The Auto Club will also use the Speedway for testing of new automotive equipment and performance, and as the home of the new Auto Club Teen and Mature Driver Schools.

[SIZE=-1]All contents of this site © American City Business Journals Inc. All rights reserved.[/SIZE]

·
Registered
24 Posts
The dragstrip at Pomona has been called "Auto Club" dragstrip for some time now. At least it a car organization, I'd hate saying "Kotex maxi pad" raceway !!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I HATE the speedway. As a local resident in Fontana and as a local business standpoint in the area. Nothing but B.S. and headaches. =p
Wow, I'm sure traffic is a nightmare when they have there big events. And maybe the noise pollution is bad. Would you care to elaborate more? I used to live next to LACR and the noise never bothered me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow, I'm sure traffic is a nightmare when they have there big events. And maybe the noise pollution is bad. Would you care to elaborate more? I used to live next to LACR and the noise never bothered me.
The noise isn't any problem. The traffic is tho, roadblocks and detours are everywhere. Detours that sometimes take us 3+miles out of the way and into mainstream heavy traffic which also cost more time. Blocking off nearby or closeby freeway entrance and exit locals use daily, especially for those who live under the I10.

Getting to work is a a detour as well, sometimes I'll tell the cop/ chp posted at certain streets that I work down this street and so forth and just get denied.

As far as business, I'll admit knowing vaugely and not in details just yet. But if you're not familiar with the area, it's very industrial. On my street of work, and the area around is mainly Auto Recycling yards aka junk yards. Ever since the Speedway came around, the county and city etc has been VERY VERY strict on how we do business. Specifically how dirty or clean we are with oil,fluids,etc. All the wrecking yards been around for nearly 20+ years and all of a sudden they are citing yards left and right and heavily penalizing us and making things very difficult to continue. This also goes for the liquor store/donut shop/ etc on Cherry Ave that I frequent for many years where the store owners say the county is being strict and wanting everyone to "update" eveything so it's more appealing etc.

Other issues that I've heard, which may or may not be true is Land. Either the county or Speedway is trying to make things hard so that we go out of business and lose the land/ property we are on. Also the reason for wanting everything be updated and ultra clean is to make it look more tourism appealing for "race fans". And when the helicopters are doing their broadcast etc they don't want the wrecking yards and other dirty looking businesses be a "eye sore". There has been a few groups that are asking everyone in the area to boycott the speedway for various reasons, and I'm sure these are just a few. Bottomline, I believe there is a lot of political motives and surely money involved in this mess.

Just very unfair and difficult things have become ever since the *** @SS speedway poped up.:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn! Thanks for the explanation. I'm sure i would feel exactly the same way if i were in your shoes. When did they open up the speedway?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I guess with the complaining... I shouldnt say I work for ISC who owns the track :) :twak:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts