Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a problem , as I was driving a loud howling noise came from my engine / transfer case area . It stopped and started all over again . Don't know what the hell it is but it comes on and off and wondering if anybody has any idea what this could be ? I pushed the gear lever into neutral and the howling noise still continues . CV joints ? transfer case ? drive shafts ?
Appreciate any help here .
B D HEMI

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Got a problem , as I was driving a loud howling noise came from my engine / transfer case area . It stopped and started all over again . Don't know what the hell it is but it comes on and off and wondering if anybody has any idea what this could be ? I pushed the gear lever into neutral and the howling noise still continues . CV joints ? transfer case ? drive shafts ?
Appreciate any help here .
B D HEMI
Can you describe in as many ways and with as much detail as possible what exactly this noise sounds like? If it is real loud I would suggest taking it to your local shop of choice ASAP even if it is no longer covered by factory warranty. If it doesn't sound like it is going to seize in the next 5 miles you might want to do a few experiments. Vary speeds, vary the rpms, forward/reverse, turn left/right. Do this with the windows up, only left window down and only right window down. While you try all of the possible combinations above note the change in volume, pitch and if there is any rhythm to the noise. If there is a rhythm what does it match, the engine rpm or the tire rotation? If you still can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from get someone to drive the car while you stand outside and listen. Hopefully this will give us an idea of where the sound is originating and if it is transmission, wheel, axle, engine etc.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
noise

Thanks for some suggestions , the noise did it's thing twice today , it sounds like a rear differential whine except without the high pitch , more like a midrange pitch sound to it . Possibly this is coming from my transfer case up front , but not 100% sure .
B D HEMI

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
So the noise only happens a couple times a day? Well that's good news, I would guess. Did you notice what you were doing when it started and stopped? Were you turning, braking, accelerating etc.? What was the engine temperature when you noticed the noise? Did it keep making it when you came to a stop? Why do you think it is the transfer case? Have you checked your fluid levels recently?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
300awd

Talked to the dealer today and they cannot figure out what it might be , so I'll have to hope this noise happens when I am near a dealer to scope it out .
This noise is unpredictable midnightsun 300 ,next time it happens I'll put the car in park immediately and eliminate the drive train as suspect if it continues to make it's sound . At least that will tell me where it is coming from .
B D HEMI

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Please let us know how it works out. For your sake I hope the noise doesn't return, but I am curious as to what it is so in a way I kind of hope it returns so you can pinpoint it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
noise awd

Gary25 , the noise started around 80,000km . The noise started off this morning so I applied the brakes a.s.a.p. then the noise stopped . Not sure what this means though .
B D HEMI

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hum...I have 44K miles on mine and the damn sun roof is squeaking like crazy.
Dealer says they have a service bulliten on this and that it requires a new bolt kit to be installed. They have to pull down the headliner to do it and it costs about $300!

Let us know if you find out what your noise issue is?

Good luck.
Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts