Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was backing out my driveway when I heard A "pop" in the front end.My driveway is inclined and a narrow street,so when I back out I have to cut the wheel sharp.It does it backing out either left or right.My wife took it this morning and I heard it again (loud) from outside the car, so its not the window pop that others hear.Has anyone else have this problem. :wall:

·
Registered
252 Posts
could it be the front lip of the chin spoiler scraping on the ground? the SRT8 has only a 5 inch clearance. it is very low to the ground, many memebers have had issues with this. so that might be your culprit

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I watching and listing And pouting (wife driving the car) and made sure that the spoiler is not hitting the pavement.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sounds like suspension. Ball joints being tweeked a little too much? Does it only happen when you turn the wheel all the way? If so, that's more than likely the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes , only when I turn the wheel all the way, when I am backing out of the driveway (left Or right) !Other then that you never hear it again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My lower ball joints need to be changed at 29,000. All highway driving-go figure. Must be defective parts. I had that "clunk" noise also.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bunch of threads over at the chargerforums about this ...several causes but some have had to have their whole rack replaced....

Jaybo

·
Registered
381 Posts
My clunk was the bilstein shocks didn't have gas. New set put in around 1500 miles. I now have almost 20,000 miles and my alignment is still perfect. This is the first car I've ever had with this many miles and not needing an alignment. No I don't hit curbs, the streets in So Cal are about the worst in the county for pot holes.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
the streets in So Cal are about the worst in the county for pot holes.
Um...I could take you a couple places that may change your mind:biggrin:

Eric

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Thanks Jaybo, I've been lucky to stay clunk free. Keeping a close eye and ear on it before I hit 36,000 miles though:)

Eric

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a similar but different problem.

My front end feels loose going over moderate bumps - not when I turn the wheel real sharp. So, I'm thining its not ball joints - but maybe sway bar connectors, or low gas in shocks, or ???

Very interested in any feedback here

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yesterday I was backing out my driveway when I heard A "pop" in the front end.My driveway is inclined and a narrow street,so when I back out I have to cut the wheel sharp.It does it backing out either left or right.My wife took it this morning and I heard it again (loud) from outside the car, so its not the window pop that others hear.Has anyone else have this problem. :wall:

I am not saying that you do not have the front end "clunk" that others are describing but what you are talking about here is something different, I think. This exact situation was addressed in one of the SRT Engineer's Chat Sessions. They said that it was perfectly normal and not a problem. (I'd look up the Q & A for you if I had more time.) Could what you are describing be caused by tire scrub? I have the exact same issue when I cut the wheels hard while backing out of my driveway. It seems to be more evident when it is colder outside.

I lost my "front end clunk" when I installed the coilover suspension kit but I still have the noise that you are describing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it was COLD, and you have F1's on, it will make a thunk that you can hear and feel. SRT is aware and said it was not a problem. It goes away when it gets warmer. You could put on RSA's and have no noise!

·
Registered
1 Posts
300 Noise in front end

I have a similar but different problem.

My front end feels loose going over moderate bumps - not when I turn the wheel real sharp. So, I'm thining its not ball joints - but maybe sway bar connectors, or low gas in shocks, or ???

Very interested in any feedback here
I had a similar noise, the dealer replace almost the entire front end. Finally they found the problem. The sway bar bushings were gone. As soon as they replaced they, the noise went away. Good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ifit happens in real cold weather, backing up and turning the wheel, chances are it's the F1's.....now if you have RSA's or it is warm, it is some other problem. But with cold and F1's it happens, and is no big deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts