Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there who have a noisy rear diff?
I get a pretty loud clunk when shifting from neutral to either drive or reverse. It's not as loud when driving, but I hear it during downshifts on gentle decellerations..

How much play is acceptable? And what's the best way to check it?

Any info is appreciated.

·
Administrator
13,066 Posts
I don't know what the acceptable amount of play is for that assembly. It should not be clunking when shifting though.

Coming out of Park into Reverse or Drive having some clunk is understandable, especially if you are parked on an incline.

·
Registered
78 Posts
From an earlier post I made....still not resolved after first discovering it over a year ago. Chrysler knows they have a problem and will not address it.

Where do I begin? Same issue, but mine has a "clunk" along with the hard downshift. 6 months ago, took it in. Dealer agreed there is a problem. Could not find the cause. Elevated it to Chrysler's Tech Center. Nothing happens. Took it to a second dealer. They hear it, and say it's normal. Read about many others on multiple forums with same condition. Months past. Second dealer calls last week, says ZF transmission people need to see my car. They want to travel 800 miles to evaluate it. OK, take car to dealership. Car sits at dealership for 5 days waiting for ZF people to arrive. They don't. Keep saying they will be there the next day. Nothing. Finally give up, pick the car up after 5 days. No loaner was ever offered. Two days later, get a call, dealer says ZF people here. No notice, just show up. Interrupt my dinner and bring the car back up yet again. Take ZF transmission guy for a drive. Yep, "something's not right there", he says. We take it back, he puts it up on the rack. Says "it's not our transmission, it's the car". Dealer says, "nope, it's not the car must be the transmission". ZF guy takes some data and travels 11 hours back to his headquarters after spending two hours here. Next day, a manager from Chrysler headquarters calls. This genius says "sorry, we won't fix your car". I say, I didn't ask you too, YOU called me and asked me to bring my car to the dealer so ZF can look at it. I did this as a FAVOR to you, get it? Now, you call and tell me there's nothing you will do for me? What part about this am I missing? I was home minding my own business when I get a call, my car sits for 5 days while a technician travels from S. Carolina to PA to see my car, admits a problem and then leaves. Dealer #2 wants nothing to do with it. Chrysler manager suggest that I take it to yet another dealership. What? Finally tell him that Chrysler customer service is atrocious, not to mention insulting and I hang up. I'm still where I was at the beginning. End of story. End of Chrysler's for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow!!! Not cool.
Granted, I don't have the new ZF, and I'm not sure if you have the same diff. as the srt's. It sounds like I might need to stop by the dealer...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Mr. Frank Palmer, let me be the one to say that you need to read up on the Lemon Law criteria for your state... Right off the bat, I'd say that it REALLY helps your case that both Dealer #1 and the ZF rep both admitted that there was definitely a problem...but they're pointing the finger @ each other, but this doesn't solve your problem. Even though it'll probably be a major hassle, you need to look up your state's Lemon Law clause. The fact that they're not pursuing any resolution for you and the problem is only getting worse justifies possibly a new vehicle trade @ minimum. It's unacceptable and just plain bad business that they haven't helped you thus far! :cussing:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts