Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you are aware of the writing talents of our own Northern Rider (Northern Writer ?)...
For those of you that are not yet familiar, check out this recent write-up, or this one!

Well our esteemed Wordsmith has done it again and this time, in addition to accolades, he has won a contest!
The theme of the contest was "What My LX Means to Me".
I proudly present for your reading pleasure, "Northern Writer's" prize-winning entry:

Northern Rider said:
About 18 months ago, I saw the first photo of the production 300C.

I was not impressed. The grille seemed overbearing.

A friend of mine, Jim, owned a Chrysler store, and had seen the actual car at a DC Dealers' function. He said, "Pat, you have to see this one in the flesh. It is stunning".

In the spring of 2004, Jim had a "showing" of the new car at his dealership. I walked slowly around the new car, taking in the lines, curves, glass, chrome, massive wheels, and acres of sheet metal

Jim was wrong. It was not 'stunning'. No. It was simply knock-you-over, drop-down-dead gorgeous! I was in love. With a car. A car I had not even sat in, let alone driven.

I'm a car nut. Been one ever since my uncle (the rich one) sat me on his knee at the age of four in his new 1948 Cadillac. I love cars - all kinds; muscle cars; hot rods; customs; rally cars; racing cars; luxury cars; SUV's - hey, if it has an engine and moves - I'm interested.

I've misspent much of my life modding, racing, rallying - even buying and selling cars. I've owned or driven hundreds of different vehicles over the years. Of late, though, I had come to regard my cars as transportation. Getting into the car in the morning ceased to be 'exciting'.

That is, until I met the 300C I call "Black Beauty". How could one car be so many different things - a gangsta’ car from the thirties; a refined, timeless Euro limousine with a 120" wheelbase; a mean, arm flexing, street fighting muscle car; good, ole American iron - with a Hemi V8 and rear wheel drive?

Not only that - I was staring at Chrysler's replacement for the Intrepid and 300M - their full sized 4 door family sedan, priced in with the Buicks.

2 weeks later I brought Black Beauty home. My love for this car has turned into an obsession. It looks good from every angle - the second car that I have owned that can make that claim (the other was a 1968 Alfa GTV Coupe). Everything in the design integrates and yet is very functional.

I usually get bored with a car after 6 months. This car is different. I started to really detail it. Then I wanted to mod it - haven't done this in years. Found online forums with car nuts just as crazy about the car as I am.

Recently, my wife brought home a new Magnum R/T in inferno red. Very different look. But, again, an awesome design. It's starting all over again! And I'm not finished with the 300C....

I blame all of this on one man. Ralph Gilles. This man's vision and talent is pure genius. The past year and a half have proven that his designs cut across all ages and backgrounds amongst the motoring public.

And, if I ever have the chance to meet you, Ralph, I want to say this to you in person,

"You have put the boy back into this man. You truly understand what it is all about. Thank you so very much."
Congratulations NR (NW), scribe extraordinaire!

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another classic short story. By the way, Ralph is a fellow Canadian, and (for me), a fellow Montrealer to boot! :wink1: :wink1: :wink1:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice One Northern nRider!

smooth1 said:
Another classic short story. By the way, Ralph is a fellow Canadian, and (for me), a fellow Montrealer to boot! :wink1: :wink1: :wink1:
A very well witten, informative and amusing story NR. I particularly liked the way you differentiated what the 300C means to a varied cross section of owners and enthusiasts. In my case, it is most deifinitely a classic UK gentlemans carriage.

Upon delivery of my 300C CRD in March (mineral grey metallic with T-Rex mesh grille installed) I will be driving a 'Bentley' at a fraction of the price!

That is the unique aspect of this wonderful car, it can be everything to everyone!

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
NR, beautifully written.

When I am driving my 300C I feel like "King of the Road".

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
A man who writes as well as he drives is a rarity indeed.

Congrats, Pat, on receiving this high honor - it is richly deserved. :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well Done NR!!!
from a neophyte scribe...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts