Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one Happy Chappy. After 14 months of ownership, my El Camino was officially registered today. EARLE is on the road.

My project had a serious schedule and cost blow-out (maybe I should work for the Victoria Government as that is normal for their projects) and today I paid my money and got my rego sticker.

If anybody else is contemplating taking on the challenge of getting an imported vehicle on the road ask me what hurdles and burning hoops you need to negotiate (LHD/RHD, ADRs, sourcing parts, Engineer's Certificates, unregistered vehicle permits, and the list goes on).

Right now there is little I have done cosmetically but the mechanicals are in good fresh shape.

I have been on notice now for months to take Paula and one of her chardy girl friends on a Thelma & Louise trip down the Great Ocean Road (with me as chauffeur of course and no running off the cliff at the end of the trip), so that will be on in the next few weeks.

Now to recharge the bank balance and budget for the cosmetics and comforts.

·
Registered
633 Posts
well done john u must be a very happy man. Its hard dealing with vic roads.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Hell yeah John bring it along to the M&G, or if you want, I can drive it there and you can drive your SRT8.:)

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Great news John - I know this has has been a long, slow process for you.

How bout some pics?:)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Congrats mate. Yes, it's very satisfying and rewarding getting rego or completing a project.

Photos are wanted! It doesn't matter that the outside hasn't been done...

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope to get a new pic or two this coming weekend. I still have the centre caps off the wheels as I am getting a new wrench made to be able to remove them (I broke the bodged up plastic one the wheel dealer fabricated for me) and didn't want to have pics without it looking at least a bit presentable.

I bought a Rotary buff a few weeks back and I am carefully feeling my way with that too. So far no disasters or paint burnt through.

EARLE is starting to look reasonable okay and the comments & looks I get when driving remind me of the first days of ownership in my first 300C back in November 2005.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hell yeah John bring it along to the M&G, or if you want, I can drive it there and you can drive your SRT8.:)
Hey John, Daniel may have a spare bottle of nitrous or a spare turbo in the boot he may chuck on for ya
Glad to see your project is moving along..:)

Cheers Frank

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was waiting to do complete some cosmetics (cut & polish, wheel caps on, wheel arch trims, etc) before I posted up pics and wouldn't you know it? steady rain. Well, we ventured out anyway and even though EARLE was soaking wet and it was raining, the pics turned out okay.

·
Registered
933 Posts
They are an unusual looking car but they look tough. I went to a wedding last week and the reception was at the Opera house pier. No joke - an El Camino (white) pulled up. A bloke and 2 chicks got out of it. There was another bloke driving and a German Shepherd in there! I should get one as a family car! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unusual looking?????? :nono: Where you been??? :laughing:.

Don't let Michaelr know that Elkies are used for weddings, he will be right onto that.

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Looking good John - definitely looks a bit different since the last time I saw it!:fing02:

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shane, the pictured are very kind to EARLE. Think celebrities photos, but without the airbrushing :laughing:.

Photos hide a multitude of sins, but I must say the attention EARLE gets, and the comments, makes it all worthwhile.

Working on the exhaust system currently. Had new system fitted with off-set straight through mufflers fitted but not too pleased with the result. Too quiet. We will see what can be done.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Looks hot John!!
I actually saw one of these on the bruce highway last week, up towards the sunshine coast.
Black & shiny, my camera was out of reach though :pat:

Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I dig up this thread to see what car drinks 85 litres for 330 km. Then I saw the picture, a classic indeed, very nice car. I bet Earle still drinks less than John. Heeeee

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
James, I am in constant hope that it will improve. I now have an unrestricted exhaust (straight through mufflers) and today I adjusted the timing which was too advanced and had been the cause of pinging. We will see, but it will never be "green" with an old 350 SBC and heavyweight chassis.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
As long as Earle runs and sounds right, I wouldn't care about few litres of petrol. Must say Earle looks fantastic with the two tones body colour.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts