Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the TSB's but didn't see anything.

Car: 2006 RWD 300C
Problem:
While driving above 30mph, the RPM's just keep raising and it doesn't seem to be shifting.

Anyone?

·
Registered
4 Posts
RWD Chrysler?

If your vehicle has an A-500 or A-518 tranny, they are notorious for 3rd gear lip seals going out. However, if it's a new vehicle it may just be a sensor. Scan the vehicle for trouble codes and let us know what you got.

-Trans Man

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A-518 said:
If your vehicle has an A-500 or A-518 tranny, they are notorious for 3rd gear lip seals going out. However, if it's a new vehicle it may just be a sensor. Scan the vehicle for trouble codes and let us know what you got.

-Trans Man
Now it is leaking. The service tech said it is throwing a different then the normal tsb. They reset it and ran to see code. They haven't told me what codes though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Noticed something close to your experience.

Leaving my garage, noticed the RPMs were up about 2500 and car was bearly moving. Let idle and tried again, car moved as normal.

That same day on freeway I felt engine rev but car was not picking up as it should, RPM's rising with accel. Trouble light on. After pulling off freeway, light stayed on even with a few ign on offs. Proeeded with route and car seemed fine except for waning light.

Next day, light off and car seemed normal. No leaks yet on 06 build 11/05.

Going in for check nex week. Will see if any codes are found.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3 CNOTES said:

Leaving my garage, noticed the RPMs were up about 2500 and car was bearly moving. Let idle and tried again, car moved as normal.

That same day on freeway I felt engine rev but car was not picking up as it should, RPM's rising with accel. Trouble light on. After pulling off freeway, light stayed on even with a few ign on offs. Proeeded with route and car seemed fine except for waning light.

Next day, light off and car seemed normal. No leaks yet on 06 build 11/05.

Going in for check nex week. Will see if any codes are found.
Mine wasn't leaking either...at first. I'm going to pick the car up and I'll let you know what codes were found.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you know what model trans it is?

If it is an A-604, it has a solenoid pack on the side of the case, the gaskets tend to leak and eventually the solenoid pack shorts out. Be sure to fix the leak cause it doesnt take long to burn it up.

-Trans Man

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A-518 said:

If it is an A-604, it has a solenoid pack on the side of the case, the gaskets tend to leak and eventually the solenoid pack shorts out. Be sure to fix the leak cause it doesnt take long to burn it up.

-Trans Man
Sorry, I don't know what model tranny it is. I'll ask them today when I drop it off AGAIN.

Invoice said:
Code 21102090 0.4 21-002-05 (leaking connection). The codes were cleared out, the system is working fine at this time.

I feel like I'm driving my t/c Integra waiting for the boost to hit since the rpm's are racing and nothing is happening. :pat:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm at the dealer and I think he said A-588 but it could have been 518.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
A-518 said:

-Trans Man

are you really a "trans man" as in a transmission rebuilder? Cuz you should know that a 604 is a FWD tranny used in Caravan's and such. He's got a 300C!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are ordering a new valve body for the transmission and it should be in tomorrow. We will see if this works out.

It's funny, when I dropped it off yesterday I talked to the shop foreman.

Foreman: You're still having that same problem?
Me: Yes
Foreman: Hmm, after we changed the seals and cleaned the connector we drove the hell out of the car and it didn't do it.
Me: O.k.

Now, should he really be telling me that they, "Drove the hell out of my car." :twak:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just had tranny checked for the problems I experienced. Dealer could not locate any trouble codes. They did not 2 updates were avalable and applied. Now I need to see if I can find out exactly what was included in these updates.

Anyway to determine based on the FP Number and Description:
FP Number 4669020 Label AUT 14086100
FP Number 4275086-AB Label GEN 14086100

I'll also do some searching to see if I can locate anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the history lesson, I appreciate the kind words. If you would have read instead of just browsing the internet looking for people to pick in, you would have seen that I said I am not sure about the leaking problems on the REAR WHEEL DRIVES. Since you seem to be such an expert on transmissions, why don't you enlighten us on late model rear wheel drive Chrysler transmissions.

P.S. For your information the new 300C has a W5A580, but Im sure you already knew that.

-Trans man

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
A-518 said:
Thanks for the history lesson, I appreciate the kind words. If you would have read instead of just browsing the internet looking for people to pick in, you would have seen that I said I am not sure about the leaking problems on the REAR WHEEL DRIVES. Since you seem to be such an expert on transmissions, why don't you enlighten us on late model rear wheel drive Chrysler transmissions.

P.S. For your information the new 300C has a W5A580, but Im sure you already knew that.

-Trans man
Hmmm, don't really understand your "P.S." since you were the one asking what tranny mikes has?
Anyway..............

Hey mikes- any resolution yet?
I'm interested, as I had a strange occurance of RPM spiking back in December, no leaks... let us know and best of luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HEMEEE said:
Hey mikes- any resolution yet?
I'm interested, as I had a strange occurance of RPM spiking back in December, no leaks... let us know and best of luck!
I did get my car back and it seems to be running fine now but shifting at lower rpms. Maybe it's just me.

Here's what the write up said on the invoice:
9290 Loss of input signal 21950151 1.3. Found that there were metal shavings in the valve body. The shavings were in the sensors. The new connecter was installed and the valve body was reconditioned.

O.k., now that I think about it, the dealership said they ordered a new valve body for me. So, what's this with a valve body being reconditioned?

JFYI: I also had them do an oil change since I had the free oil change certificates. Well, that didn't get done until the 3rd time that I brought it in and that's only because I was persistent. The service writer kept telling me that he spoke to the technician and it was done. O.k., I checked the oil when I got home and it was still black and there was not a sticker on the windshield. You know, the sticker makes you feel all good like someone has done the work. I then told him that there was no sticker on the windshield but that doesn't mean that they didn't change the oil. I asked, can you please check again? Like I said above, this goes on for two more times every time I keep taking my car back to the dealer during the week since the transmission problem is not fixed. Now, I'm pretty sure the oil was changed but I still don't have my windshield sticker.

CF: Ensure your oil was changed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
3 CNOTES said:

Yup, same exact problem here, for about 2-3 months now. I just figured it was cold. Got better after a little driving.

My car is getting fixed right now. The other day my car wouldn't upshift out of 2nd gear, 40 MPH and high RPMs. The manual shifting wouldn't work either. I had to pull over and shut off the car and start it again before it would start shifting again.

This thing is 1.5 years old (got it as a 2005 initial test market production). How the hell can the transmission break so fast? I don't race, I drive it like a grandpa, and I'm not really all that rough on it outside of the occasional passing of the idiot getting on the HWY at 30 MPH.

Outside of this, cars been fairly decent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a bit of information: This problem is due to contamination in the plant during manufacture of the valve body and transmisison assembly. Debris is not sufficiently cleaned from the valve body prior to assembly. The result is the 3-4 shift holding valve can hang up during a shift request from the TCM. This valve is more sensitive than others in the valve body due to its lower spring constant (pressure).

The result is the transmission gets stuck between gears and the TCM detects a ratio error. This "ratio error" fault puts the transmission into a Neutral state until you decelerate below (approx) 26mph. At this point the transmission "should" shift back into gear.

**This low speed is a safety engagement limit in case the transmission shifts back into 1st gear, the driver won't smack the driver's face off the windshield or overspeed the engine.

Chrysler is working on a fix for the build procedure in the plant. However, if you know anyone with this problem, a simple valve body change at the dealer will solve the problem. Changing the whole transmission is not necessary. Plus, that will take forever. A valve body change is relatively easy on the W5A580 as you can access/change the valve body by only removing the transmission pan.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hornet said:
Just a bit of information: This problem is due to contamination in the plant during manufacture of the valve body and transmisison assembly. Debris is not sufficiently cleaned from the valve body prior to assembly. The result is the 3-4 shift holding valve can hang up during a shift request from the TCM. This valve is more sensitive than others in the valve body due to its lower spring constant (pressure).

The result is the transmission gets stuck between gears and the TCM detects a ratio error. This "ratio error" fault puts the transmission into a Neutral state until you decelerate below (approx) 26mph. At this point the transmission "should" shift back into gear.

**This low speed is a safety engagement limit in case the transmission shifts back into 1st gear, the driver won't smack the driver's face off the windshield or overspeed the engine.

Chrysler is working on a fix for the build procedure in the plant. However, if you know anyone with this problem, a simple valve body change at the dealer will solve the problem. Changing the whole transmission is not necessary. Plus, that will take forever. A valve body change is relatively easy on the W5A580 as you can access/change the valve body by only removing the transmission pan.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Good information. What you said above is exactly what they changed too. I've dropped transmissions before and it's not fun. I searched on the brampton site and didn't find anything about this either. I know some of the V6's where having transmission leaking issues but that is something totally different.

The car rides fine now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My fathers hemi is doing the same thing! I scanned the codes and there was like 3or 4 gear ratio errors. I cleared them and the car drove fine, the next day after about 2 miles its doing it again! I pretty sure its outta warranty. Is this problem a recall yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks. Good information. What you said above is exactly what they changed too. I've dropped transmissions before and it's not fun. I searched on the brampton site and didn't find anything about this either. I know some of the V6's where having transmission leaking issues but that is something totally different.

The car rides fine now.
Thanks for info , mine just started doing this I'm made it to shop see if that's what they do thanks heaps

1 - 20 of 20 Posts