666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this months motor trends says Sen. Barack Obama drvies
a 300c fun fact

McCain drives a Caddy cts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Considering they're both running for President of the United States, it's a good thing they drive American since it's public knowledge.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I heard Obama actually got rid of the 300c because it "was too much of a gas guzzler". I think he was told to by his campaign manager. He probably drives a prius now. I will try to find the article.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Here is the article stating he got rid of the hemi
Looks like i was almost right about the prius!!!!

Obama swaps 300C for Escape Hybrid - Autoblog

Senator Barack Obama has tossed aside the keys to his Chrysler 300C in favor of a new Ford Escape Hybrid. According to the Detroit Free Press, the senator from Illinois was lambasted for driving the a V8 300C after chastising Detroit in a May 7 speech for failing to anticipate rising oil prices that have changed consumers' buying habits.

We for one wish Obama would've kept his 300, not because we hate the environment or think his lecture to Detroit wasn't a wee bit hypocritical, but because hybrids have become nothing more than a decorative accessory for politicians on both sides of the aisle. The Freep reports that John Edwards, Chris Dodd, Hilary Clinton, Mitt Romney and Bill Richardson all have Escape Hybrids in their fleets.

What does it all mean? Nothing really, as hybrids are now politicized to the point where politicians believe owning one gives them a free pass to guilt trip the auto industry in every speech. Less pandering, more substance, please.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Supposedly articles like this pressured him to get rid of the HEMI. I like how they call the hemi an "earth killer" little dramatic? Of course they don't point out that half the valves shut down while not using them, hence conserving way more gas than a normal hemi, but whatever, its the news what do you expect.

Obama Condemns Big and Fast Gas Guzzlers, But Drives Hemi V8 Sedan
By Lynn Davidson | May 12, 2007 - 01:26 ET

Obama Condemns Big and Fast Gas Guzzlers, But Drives Hemi V8 Sedan | NewsBusters.org

The religion of the left seems to be environmentalism, and the everyone knows what happens when religious figures on the right are exposed as hypocrites. Ted Haggard, Jim Baker and others have claimed to stand for one thing and privately lived a life that conflicted with their stated beliefs, and the media covered it non-stop. In contrast, the media ignore that the darling of the Democratic presidential candidates has again been nailed as an environmental hypocrite.

Barack Obama was outed as an SUV driver in 2006, who said at the same time, "the blame for the world's higher temperature rests on gas guzzling vehicles." Now, a year later, the Detroit Free Press' on-line site Freep.com reported similar contradictory behavior today and stated, "his choice to drive a V8 Hemi-powered Chrysler 300C emits a whiff of hypocrisy along with its exhaust fumes." (emphasis mine throughout):

The Democratic presidential contender was in Detroit on Monday, oozing charisma and environmental awareness as he chided local automakers for building too many big vehicles and not enough fuel-efficient hybrids.

So his choice to drive a V8 Hemi-powered Chrysler 300C emits a whiff of hypocrisy along with its exhaust fumes. Obama's choice proves once again that fuel economy is seldom the No. 1 factor when Americans buy cars. The 340-horsepower 300C has plenty of room for the lanky senator, his wife, Michelle, and their two daughters. It gets 25 miles per gallon on the highway, good for a big sedan, but far short of hybrids and compact cars.

His campaign Thursday said it leases a flex-fuel vehicle, and Obama, whose family has just one car, "believes we need to work together to achieve energy independence."

Newsbusters blogged about this Detroit speech that this article referenced. Keep the description of Obama's car in mind when reading these excerpts of his the above-mentioned speech:

Obama this week flew to Detroit to deliver his message that the U.S. auto industry is the villain for "investing in bigger and faster cars while foreign competitors invested in more fuel-efficient technology."

"While our fuel standards haven't moved from 27.5 miles per gallon in two decades, both China and Japan have surpassed us, with Japanese cars now getting an average of 45 miles to the gallon..."

So, while Obama is chastising the auto industry for making “bigger and faster cars,” he's driving a big, heavy Hemi V8-powered Chrysler 300C sedan that gets 25mpg, which is lower than the 27.5 mpg US standard that he says is too low.

Now, driving the same kind of car that one claims is responsible for destroying Earth doesn't raise the same level of interest to the media as religious leaders doing meth off of a prostitute's rump or defrauding little old ladies, but to the left, anthropogenic global warming has reached religious-like fervor. A Democratic pol who violates liberal environmental dogma should be treated the way conservatives are when their private lives appear to contradict their political beliefs or their party's.

Frankly, I don't blame Obama for driving the 300C; it's a pretty nice ride, but don't drive it if you tell the people who created it that they are doing something wrong and ruining the world by making it. Unlike with Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney's controversies, except for the Freep.com article, the media ignore this example of conflicting behavior and claims of double-standards; not even a belief in the overall social issue of the environment is enough to get them to cover the story.

In contrast to the examples of media coverage of hypocrisy on the right, the media have not pinned Obama down on his double-standard of chiding Detroit for making the same kind of “bigger and faster” inefficient carbon-spewing Earth-killer that sits in his drive way.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, Barack Obama's Got A HEMI!
HEMI Hybrid: Yeah, Barack Obama's Got A HEMI!

Presidential wannabe Barack Obama came to Detroit earlier this week and hammered on Detroit automakers for spending too much time focusing on horsepower rather than fuel efficiency. Here's an example of his lovely comments:

"For years, while foreign competitors were investing in more fuel-efficient technology for their vehicles, American automakers were spending their time investing in bigger, faster cars,"
In addition, Obama spent the better part of his remarks criticizing US automakers for not building more hybrid vehicles like Toyota and Honda. Well, we're glad to see Obama's shifting the blame from the consumer to the automakers. That must explain why the Illinois Senator and Presidential candidate owns a HEMI-powered V8 Chrysler 300C. Obviously it's Chrysler's fault Obama bought a big 5.7-liter engine from them -- he just didn't have a choice. – RAY WERT

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Considering they're both running for President of the United States, it's a good thing they drive American since it's public knowledge.

Even better because the "american" car he owns are mostly foreign built haha. I think at this point toyota is more domestic lolz. :dead1:

·
Registered
191 Posts
If I would have known this vital piece of information I would not have voted for him. You can tell alot about a person by the car that they drive.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well, I think Obama should stuff his campaign geeks in the trunk, roll the hemi up to the redline and cruise right into the White House. Beep, Beep shift your gift Hillary, we're coming through! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
This is all so much B.S.

The reason we are paying $3 a gallon for gasoline and $100 a barrel for oil is not because oil has gone up; it is because our dollar has gone down! If you look at the price change over the last 5 years of a barrel of oil or a gallon of gasoline in comparison to the price of gold or silver, you will see that oil or gasoline hasn't really gone up; Rather, It is the value of our money that has gone DOWN because it is merely worthless paper backed by nothing. If our dollar was still redeamable for a certain amount of silver or gold as it once was, there would be no inflation! And we could all afford to fill up our Hemi's and the politicians wouldn't have to pander to this false issue.

So what does our government (and the Federal Reserve) do to "stimulate" the economy? Why of course! It does more of what caused the problem in the first place! (i.e. flood the market with even MORE worthless "fiat" dollars that have no real value, thus making all the dollars that you and I already have worth even LESS!

The first politician that actually has the sense and the courage to address the real problems (i.e. the Federal Reserve and fiat currency with no backing) will get my vote, no matter what he drives!

·
Registered
116 Posts
He might be driving green now, but if he becomes president, he'll be rolling in a 4 ton limo that probably gets 7 gallons to the mile, and has 8 large SUVs following him around, getting another 2 gallons to the mile. So much for being "green" :pat:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
This is all so much B.S.

The reason we are paying $3 a gallon for gasoline and $100 a barrel for oil is not because oil has gone up; it is because our dollar has gone down! If you look at the price change over the last 5 years of a barrel of oil or a gallon of gasoline in comparison to the price of gold or silver, you will see that oil or gasoline hasn't really gone up; Rather, It is the value of our money that has gone DOWN because it is merely worthless paper backed by nothing. If our dollar was still redeamable for a certain amount of silver or gold as it once was, there would be no inflation! And we could all afford to fill up our Hemi's and the politicians wouldn't have to pander to this false issue.

So what does our government (and the Federal Reserve) do to "stimulate" the economy? Why of course! It does more of what caused the problem in the first place! (i.e. flood the market with even MORE worthless "fiat" dollars that have no real value, thus making all the dollars that you and I already have worth even LESS!

The first politician that actually has the sense and the courage to address the real problems (i.e. the Federal Reserve and fiat currency with no backing) will get my vote, no matter what he drives!
agreed

·
Registered
544 Posts
Oh, I plan on voting for Obama March 4th and then McCain in November! I doubt whether there is 5 miles different between the two vehicles. I guarantee the 300C is more comfortable!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
He might be driving green now, but if he becomes president, he'll be rolling in a 4 ton limo that probably gets 7 gallons to the mile, and has 8 large SUVs following him around, getting another 2 gallons to the mile. So much for being "green" :pat:
Exactly, it's one of the many reasons I think Obama is a raging hypocrite. :arms:

And I can't stand hypocrites.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is all so much B.S.

It all started with Greenspan and his 1% interest rates which resulted in the real estate boom and now with all the foreclosures they can't keep interest rates up. I agree with you that its a big mess and they can't do a lot to combat inflation with a weak economy.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
It all started with Greenspan and his 1% interest rates which resulted in the real estate boom and now with all the foreclosures they can't keep interest rates up. I agree with you that its a big mess and they can't do a lot to combat inflation with a weak economy.
Well you're on the right track, but it actually all started with the unconstitutional creation of the Federal Reserve Bank in 1913. The U.S. Constitution authorizes Congress to coin money, not some privately owned bank. Many people mistakenly think the Federal Reserve Bank is a government entity; it is not! It's about as "Federal" as "Federal Express" is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts