Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I am driving my car I have to turn the steering wheel to the left a little to get the car to go straight. I thought this was an Alignment so I took it to the garage and they said everything is in the specs it should be. What could this be, does any one know??

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
It could simply be the crown of the road causing this. It it happening on all roads and all the time?

Bernie

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Did they check tire pressures?

Bernie

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
So when I am driving my car I have to turn the steering wheel to the left a little to get the car to go straight. I thought this was an Alignment so I took it to the garage and they said everything is in the specs it should be. What could this be, does any one know??
WHERE did you take it..

I took mine to 4 shops who all told me the alignment was fine, IT was not and it was NOT road crown (that is a complete cop-out IMO)

I finally found a shop that looked up the alignment requirements, dropped suspension craddle and did the alignment correctly.

PM me with your email and I will send you a PDF with the CORRECT instructions on how to align your car, not the generic (it's within spec) crap most tire shops tell you..

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
WHERE did you take it..

I took mine to 4 shops who all told me the alignment was fine, IT was not and it was NOT road crown (that is a complete cop-out IMO)

I finally found a shop that looked up the alignment requirements, dropped suspension craddle and did the alignment correctly.

PM me with your email and I will send you a PDF with the CORRECT instructions on how to align your car, not the generic (it's within spec) crap most tire shops tell you..
Marc, you mind sending it to me as well? You have my email right? If not let me know and I'll PM you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PM sent.

I brought it to the dealership where I bought it, which is a Chrysler dealership. They put it on the rack and said everything was fine. 2nd place was NTB (National tire and battery) Also said it was fine.

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
PM sent.

I brought it to the dealership where I bought it, which is a Chrysler dealership. They put it on the rack and said everything was fine. 2nd place was NTB (National tire and battery) Also said it was fine.
look at the PDF I emailed you..

dealer doesn't want to do the craddle work, it is a LOT of work..

Discount Tires did mine, took 5 hours to get it right, and yes it was "in spec" when I brought it to them according to my dealer..

but the car did not track correctly..

here is the thing about "road crown"

take a 5 lane highway.. all roads have a crown for water run off..

the left side of the road crowns left, the right side crowns right, and the center is the "hump"

if road crown was the issue, then in the left lanes your car would pull left, and in the right lanes it would pull right and in the center lane it should track straight...

ever watch where the water pools in rain on a road? it pools on both sides, not just one.. not all the lanes are "crowned" to the right..

also road crown WILL NOT effect the tracking of the car at low speeds (speed under 15 - 20mph)

go to a parking lot, most are 95% FLAT with no crown.. drive 10 -15mph.. does the car track straight?

to check remove your hands from the steering wheel, is the car tracking straight or does it try to turn or drift to the right? if it does, your alignment is off, or your tires are so worn that they are out of round and need to be replaced..

Like many things I think the excuse of "road crown" is a cop-out (so is A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. IMO but that is another story)..
if road crown was such and issue, why out of the last 8 cars I have owned is this one the only one that is "sensitive" to it? and why do my motorcycles track stright (no hands on the handlebars and they track perfectly straight on "crowned" roads) I have been driving the same roads for 28 years.. and all of a sudden "road crown" in the problem.. yeah I don't think so..

·
Registered
931 Posts
ive had this problem on older cars i owned. from underneath the car, all the specs are good. but the problem was, when someone did an alignment on it. they didnt have the steering wheel straight, when they put the car on the rack. or the steering wheel got moved, while the tie rods were disconected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts