1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

• Drag Racing • AutoCross/Car Control Course
• Burnout/Donut Contest • Exhibition Drifting
• Displays • Trophies • Drawings • Giveaways

Be a part of the biggest LX-based Performance Driving Event in the U.S. Our second annual SpeedFest is guaranteed to appeal to performance-driving novices and seasoned speed demons alike.

Sign up now to participate in a full day of performance driving: AutoCross/Car Control, Drag Racing, and our famous (or is that infamous?) Burnout/Donut Contest.

The whole day of activities is open to everyone, whether you have an LX platform vehicle or not. Whether you're attending the Spring Festival or not. Where else can you legally spank your buddy in his Camaro or whatever, in a straight line AND in the twisties? On the same day!

Our event this year will take place at the HISTORIC EL TORO MARINE AIR STATION, less than a mile east of the City of Irvine, where Interstate 5 and the 405 Freeway meet. Before it was decommissioned in 1999, Marine Corps Air Station El Toro was the home of Marine Corps aviation on the West Coast. Designated as a Master Jet Station, its four runways could handle the largest aircraft in the U.S. military inventory.

Ozzie's SpeedFest will take over large sections of two of those runways for our event. It's the perfect location to go as fast and/or enthusiastically as we possibly can over two (or three if you've got the cajones) thrilling courses. El Toro is scheduled for re-development, and this could possibly be the last opportunity most of us will ever get to check out, let alone be able to say we raced down, a runway at this historic military site.

*** 1. AUTOCROSS/CAR CONTROL COURSE ***

Novice Drivers Want to experience how your ride handles under extreme driving conditions? Want to further develop your driving skills? Our professionally-run autocross course is the perfect introduction to performance driving. No special preparation of your ride is necessary.

Throughout the day, you'll methodically take your ride to performance levels you'll probably (or should I say, hopefully) never encounter on the streets. You'll experience the thrill of learning to control your ride under "unusual" driving conditions. All in a very safe, controlled environment. You won't damage your ride. Each of your runs will be timed, so you will receive tangible proof of your rapidly improving skills.

You will definitely leave this event a better driver, with a real appreciation for your improved driving abilities, and a deeper understanding of your ride's capabilities.

Advanced Drivers Time to take your driving skills to a new level. Accurate timing equipment will measure your performance and give instant feedback as you push yourself and your ride to new levels of car-control competence. Want some bragging rights? Challenge your forum buddies to a REAL TEST of driving skills. Who can get around this challenging, professionally designed course the fastest? Without "killing a cone." PLUS! Get "real world" feedback on the value of some of those performance mods you've installed.

Know someone who would benefit from this? Doesn't drive an LX? Doesn't matter. Everyone is welcome. Whatever their ride. Just make sure they register online on the official Spring Festival signup page.

*** 2. 1/4 MILE DRAG RACING ***

Novice Drivers Ever wondered what it's like lining up against another car, and flooring it for a quarter-mile? Just like they do at an NHRA event? Just like you see on TV? Here's the perfect opportunity. No experience needed. No special preparation of your ride is necessary.

You'll be guided through the process, and, without any pressure, develop the skills needed to launch your ride perfectly. In no time at all, you'll be on your way to a "personal best" 1/4 mile E.T.

After this event, you'll look like a pro at the track. You'll be totally comfortable participating in test 'n tunes and drag races anywhere in the country.

Advanced Drivers Time to put aside the on-line braggadocio and let your quarter-mile times speak for themselves. How does your ride and the mods you've installed measure up on a real "driver's track." Same day. Same conditions. No excuses. Just bring it! This is as close as you will probably get to an old-time airstrip drag race. "Two Lane Black Top" anyone? Except we'll have timing equipment so there's no doubt in anyone's mind who won.

Classes for just about every ride. Even bracket racing if you want. Feel free to invite your buddy and whatever ride he has, too. Doesn't have to be an LX. Hell. Doesn't even need to be a Mopar for that matter. Just make sure your buddy registers for this event on the official Spring Festival signup page, and is prepared to have a great time!

*** 3. BURNOUT/DONUT CONTEST ***

Without doubt, this was a highlight of last year's event, and this year's contest promises to be even more spectacular. Everyone who registers for the SpeedFest may enter this contest, and burn rubber like you've never done before! Take a look at what you can expect!

*** PLUS ***​

EXHIBITION DRIFTING Don't miss some exciting Drifting by the "pros". Come see how it's really done.

DISPLAYS Our sponsors will have displays of the very latest performance parts and other mods for your ride. Come talk one-on-one with the professionals about your speed needs.

TROPHIES Trophies will be awarded in up to 30 different categories! Your chances of taking home a trophy just don't get any better than this!

DRAWINGS There will be drawings for thousands of dollars worth of performance products.

*** GET INVOLVED ***

VOLUNTEERS Once again this year, we'd appreciate some assistance with parking and such for an hour or so in the morning, plus we'll need a keen-eyed crew to help keep the dragstrip debris-free and running smoothly throughout the day. Make a post in this thread if you are interested to VOLUNTEER, and we'll contact you.

MENTORS Last year at the California Speedway SpeedFest, a few folk gave generously of their time, helping track novices develop their skills for a few laps. Or in some cases, a lot of laps. This year, we're hoping our MENTORS will pitch in again, helping the newbies negotiate the cones, or helping them learn the ropes on the dragstrip. Post in this thread and let us know you'd like to be a MENTOR.

SPECTATORS Spectators, as always, are welcome. Free parking for all.

*** WHAT TO BRING ***

HELMET Bring one for yourself and any passengers (Yes, you may take a passenger for a ride on any of your runs!) No special requirements for the helmet. Either auto or motorcycle helmets will be acceptable. There will be a couple of helmets on hand to borrow, but with the number of people we expect to attend the SpeedFest, there might be quite a wait to borrow one. You'd be better off bringing your own or arranging prior to the event to borrow one.

FOOD El Toro Air Station, while being relatively close to everything in Irvine, it is just far enough away from the usual fast food outlets to make it a bit inconvenient to leave the base for lunch or snacks. Although you may leave and re-enter the facility any time. We hope to have a concession stand available, but it might be an idea to pack a lunch and snacks. Oh, and water. There will be free bottled water for all participants, but you can never have enough water on hand here in Southern California.

SHELTER Hey! It's an airstrip. There's no cover. Anywhere. Definitely bring a pop-up if you have one, and lawn chairs. And a hat. And sunscreen!

GAS No race gas, or any gas for that matter, will be available on-site. BYO gas can, or watch your fuel gauge. You may leave and re-enter the facility at any time to re-fuel.

*** DIRECTIONS ***

Exit Sand Canyon from Interstate 5. Take Marine Way around to the Station entrance and follow the SpeedFest direction signs from there.

*** COST ***

Sign up on-line RIGHT NOW with Credit Card, E-Check or PayPal, and this whole day of performance driving fun costs only $110.00!

The fee for same-day registration will be $125.00 (cash only).​

1. If you are already registered for the Spring Festival of LXs, PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK! Simply sign in with the username and password you used during Spring Festival registration.

2. If you have not yet registered for the Spring Festival, please do so at SoCalLX.com - Where Southern California Car Culture meets Modern Mopar Muscle, and then return to the SpeedFest link above (or simply select the SpeedFest tab after successful signup).

3. Want to participate in the SpeedFest, but you will NOT be attending the Spring Festival? Easy. Follow the same instructions in (2) but click "No" when asked if you will be attending the Spring Festival.

Don't miss out on this great event. Sign up right now!

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
Looks awesome, Ozzie! Great job with organizing this whole event. Looks like you have all the bases covered.

I'm very tempted.....or as fatchance would say.....sitting on the fence!

However, don't let that stop the rest of you from entering!

bruno

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bruno! We'll get you off that fence! There's just too much fun happening at the SpeedFest for folks NOT to participate. What you see above is just a taste! :)

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
Thanks bruno! We'll get you off that fence! There's just too much fun happening at the SpeedFest for folks NOT to participate. What you see above is just a taste! :)
If I do take that step, please don't put me up against MattR. He will kill me!
Cam would leave me eating his exhaust and DanR will have me chewing on burnt rubber chips!

You're talking bare bones, here!
bruno

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If I do take that step, please don't put me up against MattR. He will kill me!
Cam would leave me eating his exhaust and DanR will have me chewing on burnt rubber chips!

You're talking bare bones, here!
bruno
HaaaHAAA! You'll do just fine!

We have classes for just about everybody. In fact, your chances of taking home a trophy at this event are pretty good:

1 – LX OPEN
2 – LX 426 N/A
3 – LX LX 392 N/A
4 – LX 6.1 N/A Drag Radials
5 – LX 6.1 N/A Street Tires
6 – LX 5.7 N/A Drag Radials
7 – LX 5.7 N/A Street Tires
8 – LX V6 N/A Drag Radials
9 – LX V6 N/A Street Tires
10 – Other Modern Mopar
11 – Old School Mopar
12 – Heathen (other makes)

We'll be awarding trophies to the winners and runners-up in each category

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
HaaaHAAA! You'll do just fine!

We have classes for just about everybody. In fact, your chances of taking home a trophy at this event are pretty good:

We'll be awarding trophies to the winners and runners-up in each category
Okay, you got me thinking. I'll pray about it! (I know you get that!)
bruno

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I never took you for the religious type bruno buddy! I'll race ya in my "bone stock" 300!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Oh but I am very spiritual. Are you planning to sign up/pay for this event?
I put yes when I registered for SF to race, haven't paid yet though. I wasn't sure if it was a pay on arrival thing or in advance, but I guess I know now.

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
I put yes when I registered for SF to race, haven't paid yet though. I wasn't sure if it was a pay on arrival thing or in advance, but I guess I know now.
That's great! Sign up early and get the free t-shirt! You will love the event and show these guys put on for experienced members as well as all rookie/newbs.

bruno

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Maybe on fri, since its payday I'll pay up the booty for the fun.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe on fri, since its payday I'll pay up the booty for the fun.
Excellent! We really need folks to get their entry fees in ASAP so we can cover the upfront costs for this event, and then we can add some more fun stuff for everyone! :arms:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Excellent! We really need folks to get their entry fees in ASAP so we can cover the upfront costs for this event, and then we can add some more fun stuff for everyone! :arms:
Will do ozzie man!

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I'm coming as a spectator and going to get Hemiwagn to give me a ride in the autocourse again this year. Ozzie, email me if you need anything. We can be in for a small donation if you need it.

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
Very nice gesture, Heidi!

And, I'm still debating on this event. Maybe I should get a ride with hemiwagn as well. I would try asking some of the other guys but I'm not yet ready to die. :biggrin:

bruno

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I would try asking some of the other guys but I'm not yet ready to die. :biggrin:

bruno
No need to ask bruno! I got ya covered, I'll even bring a helmet for ya and I wouldn't worry about death part, nobody's died yet under my care!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts