Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I've chronicled my initial gas mileage observations in a previous couple of threads.

One of the contributing posters mentioned whether I'd changed my oil yet in my less-than-2000-mile-old '08 300C. I found that fairly interesting, so I checked and searched the forums, and it seems that fuel economy increases after the first oil change.

SO, my question is: should I get an oil change (to put in Mobil 1 5W-20 synthetic) at this point, with about 1300 miles on the clock? Does it really help? And more important: the main question I have is, can it hurt at this point?

I'm off from work today recovering from the brief vacation :) and based on the reasoned, and knowledgeable comments from the body, I may or may not head to Jiffy Lube for the change.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
No, too early. Stick to conventional till 5000miles.

Swap out the factory fill at 1300miles if you want to clear out any casting silicon and breakin metals, but stick to standard oil.

As of now, I haven't really heard of anything relating the first oil change to a fuel economy increase.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
I changed the original oil in my MSRT8 at 700 miles (or maybe it was 900). Anyway, oil analyses since then indicate that that was too early, as metal wear indicators continue to come down. In other words it wasn't fully broken in. I now am using extended run cycles (8000-9500 miles) and a fully synthetic special 12.5W40.

I wouldn't have the oil changed at Jiffy Lube at all. I take my oil and a new filter to my dealer, and they change it for under $10.

·
Registered
829 Posts
"Engine Break-In Recommendations", per the owner's manual:

"A long break-in period is not required for the engine in your new vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (90 km), speeds up to 50 or 55mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable."

Under the "Engine Oil" section of the owner's manual:

"You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed.

Incidentally, the SRT8 comes with Mobil 1 synthetic oil from the factory, as do many other cars. The dealership told me that my 5.7L had synthetic oil from the factory as well, though I didn't verify that.

My first oil change was done by the dealership at 1500 miles, using Mobil 1 synthetic. I did the second oil change myself at 6000 miles, again with Mobil 1. My engine runs strong and doesn't burn a drop of oil, so I'd say it's broken in perfectly.

If you're at 1300 miles, then your engine is already broken in, per the owners manual. IMO, you should change your oil asap to remove any assembly lube and metal particles/break-in byproducts that are circulating in your engine, and switch to synthetic.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
note

and you should note that SRT8's ship with synthetic factory fill.

So does Mercedes. Corvette. And so on.

Break-in is an old timers myth. So is the idea that you shouldn't use synth in a new engine.

You only have a few minutes at the rings/cylinder wall to create the seal, the rotating assembly is either right or not regardless of how you drive it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The new engines are machined so much better that radical break in measures are not necessary.... I'd just follow schedule B for the first oil change and then schedule A afterward. The notion that you can't change to synthetic on the first change is up to you. Some cars come with synthetic in them. I think you will find the car will increase fuel efficiency for the first 20K miles and then level off after that. I like several others here think that 5K miles for oil and filter are a good balance between cost and safety.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
I'd change it regardless of what you plan to use for the previously stated reasons of cleaning out any possible debris.

You are getting sound advice on everything else here, but I personally would never go above 5000 miles on an oil change(sorry Tim) because I notice my oil gets pretty dirty by 3000 miles and my start-ups occasionally get a little noisy when my oil gets that old too.

I don't know how some of you guys sleep at night with tar running through your engine!

Eric

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I changed oil in mine about 650 miles; and put Mobil 1 in. I've since switched to Royal Purple, but there is no reason not to go ahead and put synthetic in right away if that's what you plan to run. After all many cars including SRT8's come from the factory with synthetic oil.

The reason for doing the initial oil change so soon was to get all the contaminants from assembly and initial break-in out of the engine. Although not required for warranty, this is a time honored practice that makes a lot of sense and certainly can't hurt. I didn't notice any difference in gas mileage and can't imagine that there would be. You might notice a small increase in fuel economy as the engine fully breaks in and everything 'seats' but not due to the oil change.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
and you should note that SRT8's ship with synthetic factory fill.

So does Mercedes. Corvette. And so on.

Break-in is an old timers myth. So is the idea that you shouldn't use synth in a new engine.

You only have a few minutes at the rings/cylinder wall to create the seal, the rotating assembly is either right or not regardless of how you drive it.
Break in is not a myth.

Here, come to this section and check out the oil analysis's where they all show break in metals in the first 5000-10000miles.

If no breaking in is not occuring, why are there copious amounts of copper, iron, nickel in the oil sample as the rings and bearings break in.

Used Oil Analysis - Gasoline - Bob Is The Oil Guy

People need to stop comparing racing engines to standard engines.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I guess when ever you get 3000 miles on your oil you can pull out the dipstick and look at the condition of your oil. Once you get high mileage on the car the blow-by etc will contaminate the oil faster. I got 28K on mine and at 3000 miles the oil still looks clean so I would have not reservations running 5 or 6K miles. The old 3000 mile sticker is for the service stations to make money. Many cars recommend running 7500 or so but since Chrysler recommends 6K I would stick with that until the warranty is out! Seems like running 5K...one thousand less gives you a nice safety factor. I want to be good to my car but I don't want to over do it either.........

·
Registered
364 Posts
You have an '08 300C which has an Flexible Service System (FSS) built-in which will tell you when you should change your oil based on environmental and operational variables and not the idiot countdown type.

Whether you trust technology or not, that's up to you, but the system exists.

And at the very least, Chrysler can't fault you if you're following their system.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oil Change

Lifetime power warranty.. I am following the book. $59.00 oil change at dealer. Partial synthetic oil 5w 20w which MDS requires to work.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
You sure the 08 system isn't an idiot countdown sorta thing?

I like our 05/06 build cars - they have no sign of modernism at all in them, you can start them in neutral.. shoot! if you put your foot on the brake and have the p-brake off (and seatbelt on) when starting.. it'll start without a single ding, dong, or boop!

And there's no oil change timer or anything.. XD

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already changed it :).

Mobil 1 full-synthetic 5W20 (as required for MDS functionality). All is right with the world. :biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts