Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Make sure the old oil filter gasket doesn't stick on the block. Mine did. I didn't look closely at the old filter. Tightened the new one up,7 quarts of Mobil 1. Started it up to check for leaks. Blew out 5 quarts of oil in no time.
Stupid, but make sure the old gasket is on the old filter.:pat:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
^ I did that on my ex's brothers car.

Pissed 5q all over her driveway haha.

She deserved it.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Make sure the old oil filter gasket doesn't stick on the block. Mine did. I didn't look closely at the old filter. Tightened the new one up,7 quarts of Mobil 1. Started it up to check for leaks. Blew out 5 quarts of oil in no time.
Stupid, but make sure the old gasket is on the old filter.:pat:
Excellent warning, but don't feel so bad; you are not the first one to do this, and you won't be the last. I work in an auto parts store and hear this story from a customer at least once a month.

Many years ago my sister had a '79 Toyota Celica with a 20R engine, and the filter gasket would stick to the engine every time I changed the oil for her rather than come off with the filter. I have never had this happen to me on any other vehicle, but I learned early on (the hard way like you) to always check!

Thanks for the post, it may help someone avoid a big mess!

·
Registered
465 Posts
which gasket is this? dont the filters come with a carbon seal that pressurizes with vaccum pressure and no seal is required? i have been doing oil changes on different cars for years and have never noticed a seal on the filter.

·
Registered
465 Posts
i looked on an old filter and saw the rubber o-ring that goes around the border of the filter. i stand corrected :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Advice From An Old Guy

Hey Y'all, here's an "old school" trick that, I believe, will prevent the oil seal sticking to the engine. Dip your finger in the drip pan after draining yer' ol' oil and rub it on the rubber seal of your new replacement oil filter. Problem prevented !

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Yep coat the o-ring with oil, it's what I've always done.. But I have still had a couple in my history of changine oil, stick.. And I've been doing it for a few years :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
i have always done that out of habit. i guess that is a good habit. i am a jet engine mechanic by trade anyways. standard procedures for us

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey Y'all, here's an "old school" trick that, I believe, will prevent the oil seal sticking to the engine. Dip your finger in the drip pan after draining yer' ol' oil and rub it on the rubber seal of your new replacement oil filter. Problem prevented !
I dip my finger into the clean oil (after I fill the filter with oil) for 2 reasons:

1: It's clean

2: I don't feel like sticking my finger into the hot oil that was just drained from the hot engine.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Good point; I should have mentioned that but I just thought that was a given that everyone knew.:pat:

Didn't matter on that old Toyota though; the damn gasket stuck to the block every single time!

·
Registered
42 Posts
wow that sucks. the same thing happened with my parents '91 caravan. the old gasket was stuck on the oil pan and the new filter didn't seal properly. unfortunately, we didn't catch it until on the highway at which point it was too late and the engine ceased. :smashfrea

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
While oiling the gasket before installing the filter may keep the gasket from sticking upon removal of the filter, the real reason to oil the gasket is to prevent the gasket from sticking to the face of the gasket seat as the filter is screwed on and torqued. If the gasket sticks during installation it can be distorted resulting in a leak when pressurized.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
none of the above is the problem,the problem is forgetting to put the sump plug(oil pan plug bolt)back in before you pour the oil in THEN start.It has been known.ouch(not me obviously)

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I've never forgotten to put the drain plug back in.. In the oil pan or in my boat :) Forgetting either, can have bad consequences! :)

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
i did it once in my speedboat,there i was thinking why is my boat a bit slow today.lmao.wasnt until I loaded it back on to the trailer and like a gazillion gallons of water came out of the holes I forgot to put the plugs in.DOH

1 - 18 of 18 Posts