Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm reading the manual and it says change every 3000 miles if any of the following apply:
1. temps below 32 F
2. stop & go driving
3. extensive engine idling
4. dusty conditions
5. trips less than 10 miles
6. sustained high speeds at above 90 F
7. trailer towing
8. taxi, police or delivery service
9. off-road

Otherwise, every 6000 miles.
2 and 5 apply to me, which seem normal, while the others do sound extreme. Oil changes every 3000 miles sounds excessive for 7 quarts of full synthetic, especially when my 330ci went 14,000 miles on 7 quarts. Will I be in warranty trouble if I decide to do change it every 6000 miles?

·
Registered
593 Posts
99% of cars meet criterium number two. 90% of them meet number five. 3000 miles is probably extreme. I'd say go every 3k till the warranty's expired, then 6k.

·
Registered
701 Posts
MB has been saying about 10K between changes of Mobil 1. I believe both MB and BMW had free scheduled maintenance for the first few years -- MB just discontinued it but I don't think BMW has. And if the manufacturer is giving it away free, it wants to reduce the amount that it does. Whereas if the owner is paying for it, the manufacturer even makes money on it.

Also MB has about a 12 quart oil system. Maybe the same for BMW. More oil means that less impurities are collected in a given volume of oil and if it's well cooled while in the sump, it may slow the breakdown of the oil too.

Our service booklet shows oil changes every 3K. That does seem like an awful lot to me, given that Mobil 1 is quite durable. MB says that is why their oil change interval is so long. Why doesn't the Chrysler side say the same when they put Mobil 1 in the SRT-8?

One other thing is that the thermostats are set to very high temps which can accelerate the breakdown of the oil. Other threads show how this can be improved by replacing the thermostat, but I don't think DCX can recommend it because the high temp thermostat is there for emissions.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Touchy subject. Sure to stir opinions of many. Personally, I think even 6,000 miles COULD be overkill with synthetic. Porsche has been using Mobil1 synthetic exclusively for years. The recommended oil change interval on a 911 is 15,000 miles. Combine this with all of the oil company advertisements offering "long life" oil of 10 or 15,000 miles, and the 3,000 looks even more outdated.

Personally, I'd change once by 3,000 miles (many recommend a 1,000 mile change). I'd follow that up with 6,000 mile interval changes.

To reiterate my warning: You'll see many opinions on this subject, with many of them being strongly held beliefs. I'm not an oil expert, and have no quarrel with anyone having a contrary viewpoint.

·
Administrator
14,572 Posts
330toSRT8 said:
I'm reading the manual and it says change every 3000 miles if any of the following apply:
1. temps below 32 F
2. stop & go driving
3. extensive engine idling
4. dusty conditions
5. trips less than 10 miles
6. sustained high speeds at above 90 F
7. trailer towing
8. taxi, police or delivery service
9. off-road

Otherwise, every 6000 miles.
2 and 5 apply to me, which seem normal, while the others do sound extreme. Oil changes every 3000 miles sounds excessive for 7 quarts of full synthetic, especially when my 330ci went 14,000 miles on 7 quarts. Will I be in warranty trouble if I decide to do change it every 6000 miles?
The operative word is "ANY". Have you considered an extended warranty that has the oil changes included?

I've had my car a little over 9 months now and am just under 3000 miles (4909 Km's). By mileage alone, I should be due for my first change. I just had my 3rd one done last week. Along with the explanation of the schedual B conditions, it says "whichever comes first". My next change will be in March & I expect to have zero miles acumulated, but it will be three months. Don't give them the out should you develope engine trouble by not following the recommendations. I can't see anyone who would meet ALL the other schedual guidelines anyway. Just for the record my extended warranty plan number is 365. You may want to check that out.

Rambit

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I change twice a year or 6K, fully aware that DC will try to wiggle out of any warranty claim if ANY of schedule B criteria are met which includes 95% of us.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rambit said:
The operative word is "ANY". Have you considered an extended warranty that has the oil changes included?
Just for the record my extended warranty plan number is 365. You may want to check that out.
That sounds good. How much did it cost and for how many miles? Any other normal wear parts they replace?

·
Registered
701 Posts
If I do oil changes myself, how much documentation would be necessary to stay covered under mfr. warranty / extended warranty ?

·
Administrator
14,572 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Rambit said:
Here's a link to my warranty details:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/56395-post5.html

Rambit
It seems that your particular warranty includes almost all possible oil changes anyway so you might as well use them. Once the warranty expires, all the free (well, prepaid) oil changes end anyway. You are entitled to 20 oil changes during the warranty period.

Consider time. 5 years = 60 months and 60 months / (3 months / oil change) = 20 oil changes, so you will use them up exactly at the end of the warranty period if your warranty expires because of time and you do the changes every 3 months.

Consider mileage. 60000 miles / (3000 miles / oil change) = 20 oil changes, so you will use them up exactly at the end of the warranty if your warranty expires because of mileage and you do the changes every 3000 miles.

You could possibly have to pay for a couple oil changes yourself during the warranty period if your use intensity is inconsistent. Say you drive a lot at first and rack up a lot of miles, so you do the oil changes more frequently than every 3 months. Then you start to drive less and ultimately the warranty expires because of time. You might have a few months at the end of the warranty where you are paying for oil changes.

·
Administrator
14,572 Posts
artichoke said:
It seems that your particular warranty includes almost all possible oil changes anyway so you might as well use them.

Consider time. 5 years = 60 months and 60 months / 3 months = 20, so you will use them up exactly at the end of the warranty period if your warranty expires because of time and you do the changes every 3 months.

Consider distance. 60000 miles / 20 = 3000 miles so you will use them up exactly at the end of the warranty if your warranty expires because of mileage and you do the changes every 3000 miles.

You could possibly have to pay for a couple oil changes yourself if your use intensity is inconsistent. Say you drive a lot at first and rack up a lot of miles, so you do the oil changes more frequently than every 3 months. Then you start to drive less and ultimately the warranty expires because of time.
I'm betting it'll expire on time and I'll probably never put over 3000 miles between changes, or anywhere close to it. Your right, seeing as I've really already paid for it, I might as well have it done. It works out to a total of 20 changes over the 5 years @ 3 month intervals. I didn't get the warranty specifically for the oil changes though. If you noticed, there's a $0 deductable, road hazard for the tires, meals, accomodation and all that stuff included. I got it more for peace of mind than anything else.

Rambit

·
Registered
701 Posts
Documentation for Self Changing the Oil

What documentation would I need to keep if I want to change the oil myself? I don't need the car lubed that often, and Mobil 1 isn't that expensive in large jugs at Walmart.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm a believer in synthetics, I change at the interval suggested by the oil manufacturer. I belive that most of them will warrant any problems caused by their oil if you follow their recommendations.

·
Administrator
14,572 Posts
artichoke said:
What documentation would I need to keep if I want to change the oil myself? I don't need the car lubed that often, and Mobil 1 isn't that expensive in large jugs at Walmart.
You'll need to keep all the jugs and old filters over the warranty period, all signed by either a police officer/doctor/accountant and the like, have your WalMart receipt notorized by a Justice of the Peace, take photos of all oil changes with you and 2 witnesses with no criminal records, holding a newspaper with the date on it (also notorized), save a 30ml vial of the old oil for each oil change and another 30ml vial from every new oil jug, both of which must be clearly dated and also notorized...simple stuff like that.

Seriously I think just having a receipt of the purchase would be good enough, but I'm not really sure.

EDIT: Just make sure you get 0-40 oil. Things may have changed, but in the past it's been hard to find.

Rambit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone know how many miles you can rack up before you no longer can buy the extended warrranty? I took delivery of my car on 12/18/05, but I already have about 800 miles on it.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
srt-w8ting said:
Does anyone know how many miles you can rack up before you no longer can buy the extended warrranty? I took delivery of my car on 12/18/05, but I already have about 800 miles on it.
Thousands. In some cases, all the way to 36,000 or even beyond. The price typically goes up the more miles you have on your car though. You're probably still at the "new" car price. Perhaps you can even negotiate a better deal today than the day you bought the car.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Model 57 said:
I'm a believer in synthetics, I change at the interval suggested by the oil manufacturer. I belive that most of them will warrant any problems caused by their oil if you follow their recommendations.
Yeah...except that the oil manufacturer will say the problem's not theirs, and DCX will say the problem is you didn't change the oil often enough...and how are you going to pit them against each other? The oil company will tell you that convincing DCX that it wasn't the oil is your problem, not theirs. And DCX will tell you that the oil-related problem is for you and the oil company to sort out...it's like flipping a coin where the rules are "heads, I win, tails, you lose"

That's why I say go with the owner's manual instructions till the warranty's expired. After that, go with the oil company's recommendation.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Rambit said:

I've had my car a little over 9 months now and am just under 3000 miles (4909 Km's). By mileage alone, I should be due for my first change. I just had my 3rd one done last week. Along with the explanation of the schedual B conditions, it says "whichever comes first". My next change will be in March & I expect to have zero miles acumulated, but it will be three months. Don't give them the out should you develope engine trouble by not following the recommendations. I can't see anyone who would meet ALL the other schedual guidelines anyway. Just for the record my extended warranty plan number is 365. You may want to check that out.

Rambit
same situation with me Rambit.....i paid for 20 oil changes in 5 years....i've had my SRT-8 for 6 months and i have only 7100 kms....but i've had 2 oil changes so far....one every 3 months....i will never rack up 5000 kms before 3 months....so one every 3 months for me will do it.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
artichoke said:

Just keep a log of the dates and mileage; Chrysler cannot require you to have maintenence done by the dealer or by any shop for that matter. If you are really concerned you could keep the receipts for your oil and filters; the dates would roughly coincide with the dates in your maintenance log.

And whatever you do don't use FRAM filters on you new baby!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts