Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post any tips here, the details of the change have been listed elswhere.

Just completed my third change at 6012 miles

Make sure the filter gasket comes off with the filter, I double check bu looking at the block flange where the filter mounts. I have had two gaskets stick to the block (yes I put a film of oil on it before installing). An XR4Ti that I bought had a new engine because the gasket stuck to the block and the new filter could not seal properly and lost the oil on the freeway.

I use a funnel to add oil, keep it in a zip lock bag to prevent dust and dirt from collecting in it

Re cycle, I have a 6+ gallon gas can marked OIL and only make one trip a year to Advance auto.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just completed my first oil change this past weekend. It was too easy. You gotta use the ramps. The "how to" was very helpful.

Rmedina

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anither tip, on bottom mount filters like the C, Odyssey fill the filter with oil prior to install, this will help get up to full pressure quicker on the first dry start.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
Just completed my third change at 6012 miles

Complete absurd!! Justify the need to change oil every two thousand miles and I bet you are using Mobil 1 or synthetic, in which case, good luck justifing it....Oh yeah, your motor will last longer....hahahahahaha!! Complete joke and DC knows it(recommend 15K mile intervals for most of the product to the bit more educated Europeans).

Send that oil off for anaylsis if you don't believe me or DC.

Todd

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WhiteDiamond said:
Complete absurd!! Justify the need to change oil every two thousand miles and I bet you are using Mobil 1 or synthetic, in which case, good luck justifing it....Oh yeah, your motor will last longer....hahahahahaha!! Complete joke and DC knows it(recommend 15K mile intervals for most of the product to the bit more educated Europeans).

Send that oil off for anaylsis if you don't believe me or DC.

Todd
As a matter of fact I am using synthetic castrol, normally I don't change every 2K, as I stated I am on a 6K schedule now which is what the factory calls for (don't stick to that schedule and you can kiss your warranty good bye, it has happened). As one who has owned only 7 domestics out of more than 40 cars I am well aware of the Euro intervals of 12-18K, I did this on my 02 X5.

Here is the justification, I went to Amsoil 5w20 XL at about 1900 miles to get past "break in" if there is such a thing and get the factory fill out, boy was it black. I had planned to go to 6K followed by 6K intervals. I subsequently learned that this series of Amsoil is not 100% fully synthetic but reformulated regular oil so I got that stuff out and went to Castrol syntec (bought 3 cases at $3.48/qt on sale for the C and Odyssey). This is how you wind up with 3 changes in 6K miles. FWIW, I changed the Odyssey at 3700 and will do again at 7500 and stick to the factory 7500 schedule. It uses a lawn mower sized tiny filter which concerns me a bit but I trust thier engineers far more than DC engineers.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Excessive. 6K miles is a sham by greedy American makes that want you in their dealerships for those changes. I switch my vehicles over to Amsoil typically around 1K miles and they are lucky if I do a full change at 15K. Filter replacement around 7.5Kmiles is it.

Todd

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WhiteDiamond said:
Excessive. 6K miles is a sham by greedy American makes that want you in their dealerships for those changes. I switch my vehicles over to Amsoil typically around 1K miles and they are lucky if I do a full change at 15K. Filter replacement around 7.5Kmiles is it.

Todd
Excessive? Mayhaps, but kiss your DC warranty good bye if you don't go on a 6K schedule, they even call for a 3K schedule if you do any city driving which is most of us. I agree that 12-15K with synthetics is fine, I have done it on some cars. I don't think that the sham is unique to American cars, how bout dem Japanese cars, 7.5 K tops. The RX8 is 3K.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
So you say that you found out that the Amsoil is reformulated regular oil; I don't think so. They have no oils that have regular crude oil in them.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The XL7500 series is suppossed to be only a Group III Synthetic. Still a PAO based oil I believe, but not the same caliber Group IV Synthetics like their other oils.

I have written to Amsoils product folks and suggested they come out with a 5W20 oil quick as Mobil 1 has an edge right now. So many Honda, Ford, and now Chryslers need this oil and XL7500 is not enough. Hopefully they will come out with something soon.

I'm using the XL7500 I have until it's gone, then I'm gonna jump to the Mobil 1 unless Amsoil puts a Group IV 5W-20 Series 2000 to the market soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts