Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chrysler 300 CRD 2007 (123k miles)

I am looking into getting the oil coolers seals replaced. I bought the car a couple of years ago with a known oil leak and although it doesn't seem to lose much oil on the engine dipstick, the under trays are in quite a mess, as is the underside of the engine. I have spent quite a bit of time looking at videos and forums and I am fairly sure it is likely to be the oil cooler seals.

Can anyone in the UK recommend a garage to do the work, please? I live in Hampshire. I understand it is estimated to be about an 8 hour job, so know it will not be cheap, but I am prepared to travel any distance to get the job done well and hopefully at a reasonable price.

I am contacting a couple of reasonably local independent Mercedes garages this week to see what they say but it would be nice to have a recommendation from another Chrysler owner!

Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,569 Posts
There's a guy on the 300c UK Facebook group (Link) Gavin Bailey. Think he's somewhere Wiltshire way, he's done multiple people's oil cooler seals (I don't have person experience). Might be worth looking him up? Just a thought

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DGO. I am not on Facebook and I have tried to find him outside of Facebook but am struggling a bit. Any chance you could point me in his direction, please?

I have been on a Mercedes forum also and a couple of Mercedes independent garages have been suggested. I have called MBS in Southampton but they will not do a Chrysler 300. Going to try Star Motor Services in Reading next.

2 Estimates so far have been around £1,000 .....yikes!!!

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,768 Posts
Have you diagnosed the cause of the seals failure? The usual culprit is leaking fuel from the pipes to and from the fuel filter above.

I have had a look at Gavin Bailey's Facebook page and he is located in Swindon. Why not join the 300C group to get more info?

I'm not surprised at the £1000 estimates, if 8 hrs labour is involved.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you.

I did go ahead and sign up for Facebook last night and am waiting for "approval" from the 300C group to join.

When I bought the car a couple of years ago I was aware of the oil leak but was happy to buy it as it was a reasonable price. When I started to do my first service, one of the fuel pipes connected to the fuel filter was slightly split and there was a small amount of fuel sitting in the ridge around the top of the filter. I changed the split fuel pipe but probably the damage was already done. One of the orange plastic seals (the smaller one of the two located to the left) was also split so I changed that too, but not before I had the swirl flap problem which I resolved with the bypass resistor from the Custom Shop.

When I track down Gavin Bailey I will let you know what he says. As the car is probably only worth £3k I need to convince myself that spending £1k on a fix is worth it, especially as I am nervous from threads I have read saying that it is a big job with potential problems resulting.

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,569 Posts
It's a multi hour job (around 10) due to having to remove everything on top of the engine in the Vee. If you want to see what's involved search OM642 oil cooler seals on youtube

That's why it's worrh having someone with experience do it

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,768 Posts
I know it's a big job, as everything inside the "V" has to be removed first. It's always a dilemma when trying to weigh up the pros and cons of an expensive repair on a 14yr old car. If you really like the car and wish to keep it for a few more years, then it may prove worthwhile, although you run the risk of more repairs to come. On the other hand, if you trade the car for a newer vehicle, you will lose £1k or more, as soon as you take delivery. You say your car is only worth £3k; this valuation is unlikely to increase whatever you spend on it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks yes agreed with all the comments. I have watched a number of Youtube videos of changing the oil cooler seals on Mercedes, at first I thought it may be a job I could attempt, but realise it definitely is not!!!

I do like my car a lot, it makes me smile every time I look at it, but clearly when cars get to this age, there will always be a point when you have to decide whether to repair or scrap......I am not quite at that point yet though. I think if I could be sure that spending £1k on this repair would not cause other problems, then I would probably do it without much hesitation.

Still waiting for "approval" to the Chrysler 300 Facebook group, not sure why this is taking so long.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I have contacted a few Merc independents and most won't touch a Chrysler despite it having a Merc engine. The others were quoting £800+ to do the work. Where is your Merc garage located, please?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts