Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for the very simple question, just want to make sure I know where the oil drain plug is on the sump.

Is it on the front middle of the sump (low down) pointing towards the front of the car? It looks like a cross member is in the way and will get covered in oil when the plug is removed.

Is that right?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Sorry, can't help you, as I always use the dipstick tube method. I have searched the Service Manual, but this important detail seems to be missing. Hopefully, another owner will pop up and reveal the location.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
To the original post "Yes" (pointed at an angle down sort of) and "yes" (unless you're quick/lucky you'll get oil on your hand, make sure you have a glove

The sump bolt is small(ish) and a bit tight. Make sure the oil is only warm (not hot) when you take the plug out as that takes some time and you don't want burning hot oil on your hands. Also make sure you have a big enough container to catch the oil as there's 9 litres or so in there.

Oil filter as I'm sure you know comes out the top (front passenger side in the engine bay)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks DGO.

Is it recommended to change the drain plug and/or drain plug washer after draining the oil, do you know?

With previous makes of car, sometimes this is recommended, but I guess if the plug and washer (if there is one) looks ok then no need to change?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Not sure what the official approach is, what I can tell you is that I have changed the oil on mine several times and never replaced anything yet

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've found that when I buy a genuine Mercedes filter from a Mercedes dealer on ebay, they supply a new sump washer. But as I use a pump, I've never had the sump plug off! The pump is also good at sucking all the old oil out of the filter housing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts