Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my car is now officailly out of warranty (thought it was Oct but realised it ran out yesterday). Good news is MOT went fine today with no problems - however when disconnecting my SPIDER before the emissions test I noticed oil everywhere near what I think is the air inlet above the swirl motor. THere is also all oil under the engine cover (thin sprayed fluffy later). My question is whan I had a new swirl motor in Nov last year (so should still be under warranty) I thought they fitted an updated pipe to stop this happeneing. I have a picture below which I think shows where it's leaking can someone confirm this is the only place that leaks. Need to either silicone seal it (is it just the red ring bit?) or take it in and push for a new pipe and a promise if the motor goes again (its covered in oil) they will foot the bill. Can I manually fix this with silicone - and is the yellow arrow where I would do it ? (red arrow shows where oil build up is.)

Thanks all !

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I read showhere that all repairs carried a 2 year warranty, but not to sure if the original work was within the warranty, as to the leak i am not to sure i would use silicone to seal it, as the access that would got on the inside of the pipe could break free and go into the spinning turbo, maybe replace the seal? as the the orignal turbo intake pipe, is the seal red or black ( the large seal with a jubilee clip) the old pipe had lugs at 12 , 3 ,6, and 9 oclock position and the new 2 4 8 and 10

·
Administrator
13,325 Posts
that small pipe isnt the one they replace....its the large one coming from the airbox that they change. Havent you got a catch can inserted into that smaller pipe yet?

clean that stuff up quick....try putting a panty pad under it to absorb leaks until you get a catch can!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
that small pipe isnt the one they replace....its the large one coming from the airbox that they change. Havent you got a catch can inserted into that smaller pipe yet?

clean that stuff up quick....try putting a panty pad under it to absorb leaks until you get a catch can!
Does the catch can just go in the middle of the small pipe ? -
Where do I buy one ?
Will a panty pad not set on fire in the engine bay ? - is that safe if so one going in tomorrow.
Also do I just wipe all the oil off after removing the intake pipe or is there more to it than that.

Well annoyed as I assumed they stopped this ... after the last time.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read showhere that all repairs carried a 2 year warranty, but not to sure if the original work was within the warranty, as to the leak i am not to sure i would use silicone to seal it, as the access that would got on the inside of the pipe could break free and go into the spinning turbo, maybe replace the seal? as the the orignal turbo intake pipe, is the seal red or black ( the large seal with a jubilee clip) the old pipe had lugs at 12 , 3 ,6, and 9 oclock position and the new 2 4 8 and 10
Pic of the large seal - is this the old or the new one ?

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Sods - should they not have replaced with the new one ? - is it worth a fight now I am out of warranty or can I stop it leaking myself ?
They should have changed it. You could remove the small pipe and remove the seal from it and clean it all then replace it. That would stop the small one leaking but the large end secured to the turbo will probably be weeping too.

You really need to swap the pipe for the new type and then fit a CC.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They should have changed it. You could remove the small pipe and remove the seal from it and clean it all then replace it. That would stop the small one leaking but the large end secured to the turbo will probably be weeping too.

You really need to swap the pipe for the new type and then fit a CC.
Are there part numbers for the new pipe and catch can ?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Intake pipe- 04861686AD

The catch can will have to come from Kraftwerk (Germany) or Billet Tech (US).
Hmm - the catch cans on both sites state 5.7 or 6.1 ? - no diesel ?

Can I just buy a "generic" catch can from ebay or does it have to be a specific one.... seem to be lots of them for sale on ebay.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Hmm - the catch cans on both sites state 5.7 or 6.1 ? - no diesel ?

Can I just buy a "generic" catch can from ebay or does it have to be a specific one.... seem to be lots of them for sale on ebay.
Having seen some of the ebay ones I wouldn't go there, they are nothing but empty cans. The BT one has a mesh filter built in the top to help separate the oil from the vapour. I went for the 6.1 unit, Kraftwerk do a CRD fitting kit for it. I fitted mine using some 10mm threaded bar and a couple of 10mm nuts and washers.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Having seen some of the ebay ones I wouldn't go there, they are nothing but empty cans. The BT one has a mesh filter built in the top to help separate the oil from the vapour. I went for the 6.1 unit, Kraftwerk do a CRD fitting kit for it. I fitted mine using some 10mm threaded bar and a couple of 10mm nuts and washers.
Ok thanks - it's a bit naff these cars don't come with them fitted if it creates all these problems not having one.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It shouldn't need one if the new type intake pipe is fitted and does not leak but I chose to fit one anyway just to be on the safe side.
Ah ! - I have contacted my (new) dealer to see if I can get the updated pipe fitted as they did not replace it when they did the swirl motor - one can only try.

·
Registered
258 Posts
the guys in the Sprinter forum are suggesting that the oil eventually damages the rubber turbo hose, causing it to leak near the intercooler. Not sure I'm buying into that thinking, just thought I'd pass it along.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts