Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Oil everywhere

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Torian 
#1 ·
So, I normally get my oil changed at the dealership but wasn't able to this time.

So I took my car to a localish muffler man chain store to have the oil changed. I supplied the Mobil 1 0W40 and a Bosch D3410 oil filter as indicated by the book at Wal-mart. (Only place I can find my oil near me)

They do the oil change and all seems well. I take it home and park it. Leave for work the next morning. Get home, notice HUGE oil spots where I parked. Not good.

I pull the dipstick...bone dry. WORSE. especially since I put about 500 miles on the car since the oil change. No low oil light, no overheating, oil pressure gauge seemed fine...the car didn't seem to mind it as far as the sensors told me.

Thankfully, I have a buddy that lives near that Wal-mart and he grabs more oil and another filter and heads on over. I verified the filter that I bought originally is for my engine, from several online sources, the new filter is the same one. We put the new filter on and it doesn't thread all the way up.....

What in the hell would cause this kinda issue? There was definitely no leak prior to the oil change....

See less See more
#2 ·
I have never heard of such a problem. Very strange. Don't have a clue what would stop a filter early from threading up all the way to seal. The ONLY thing I can think of is if the filter can was extremely short and the threaded post hit the bottom of the can before the seal reached the block. But if that were the case, it wouldn't be the correct filter for the car...

#6 ·
Maybe they didn't remove the old gasket which would prevent the filter from seating properly, and allow oil to leak out.

#8 ·
And you had been using the same filter since you have owned the car? And never had an issue? Weird!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.