Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check out the filtermag.com site and ebay search oil filter magnets for turbomag for great info on reducing engine wear (of course put out by people who sell magnets). According to turbomag, Cummins showed the greatest wear from particles less than 10 microns which would pass through the excellent Mobil 1 filter.
This is really important on a new car given all the break in metal floating around in the oil. Does it really matter? My dad's 97 Town Car has 130K, uses the awful Fram made Jiffy Lube filter and others, non synthetic oil, no magnets, and gets changed when he remembers at every 5K and does not burn a drop of oil. The Idea of magnets is excellent, some engineers laugh at them saying anything less than 10 microns is not harmful. We enthusiasts are always looking for that something extra. I will be using the Filtermag on the filter and the flat turbomag on the trans pan and oil pan bolt (or area if the bolt is recessed, if not on the bolt it will need to be removed prior to draining to flush the particles out). If I am able to put it on the bolt, I will leave it on and remove the bolt and see what it captures. I am also going to cut the factory filter with the filtermag on to see what it captures as well. I will post photos of both. My Cool Vanilla C is due mid June and the first oil change I will do at 1K with regular oil and go to synthetic with the second change at 2K. My Alfa 164 used a magnetic bolt which indeed picked up a small amount of "magetic debris". BTW, do a search on the oil filter study for fascinating info on filters.
www.filtermag.com
www.synlube.com (a terrible website but they show a nice cutaway of a filter with metal debris trapped by the magnet, who knows if the filter media would have trapped this debris.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts