Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this could be another forum topic question?
Oil filter part numbers...any preferences?
FRAM
K&N
MOPAR
etc...any others.
Whats the best with Mobil 1.
While were on replacement topic..
Air Filter part number?
FRAM
K&N
MOPAR
etc...

I want to do my first oil change, I have 2300 miles and will go with Mobil 1.
Don't feel a need to hit the dealer till maybe the 6000 - 7500 mile mark.
but I can't find an oil filter at the local auto parts( no numbers in books or computors, too new)...I got a FRAM PH16.
This is what the Ram pickup 5.7L calls for but I'm not sure if it will work..
don't want to dump the oil and then need to run out and get the proper one.

Has anyone done there own oil change? Any tips or concerns would be highly appreciated...Not That I'm a novice...
Thanks Again..
Fernando

·
Registered
281 Posts
Apparently were hearing these engines use the same filter that has fit every Chrysler LH model and the V8 engines built for many years.

I use the Amsoil SDF-15 on all my Chrysler Corp Vehicles. It's a little deeper than the normal one (SDF-42).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1st oil changed done ....did it myself

ok, I used a K&N oil filter # HP-2004
Used Mobil 1 - 5-30 weight for newer vehicles. 7 quarts...per owners manual.

Jacking this car is a pain, I drove drivers fwd wheel up on a 4x4 block to be able to get floor jack under car..jacked from beam behind drivers shock absorber.
You will need to remove the plastic pan under engine 4 bolts 7/16ths...
after that its all easy to get to...oil plug 13mm.
oil filter is on passanger side. may be easier to jack from pasanger side.

good luck..
45min job, with 10 min beer break...cost - $40

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Hey big tuna, get yourself a set of those 12,000lb fiberglass (or steel) ramps from autozone and just drive up, set the brake, chock the rear wheels and place two jack stands up front for safety. It is so easy. My safety precautions may seem excessive but you will NEVER read about me crushed under a car because of a support failure. I too will be using the Amsoil filter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGTUNA
ok, I used a K&N oil filter # HP-2004
Used Mobil 1 - 5-30 weight for newer vehicles. 7 quarts...per owners manual.

Jacking this car is a pain, I drove drivers fwd wheel up on a 4x4 block to be able to get floor jack under car..jacked from beam behind drivers shock absorber.
You will need to remove the plastic pan under engine 4 bolts 7/16ths...
after that its all easy to get to...oil plug 13mm.
oil filter is on passanger side. may be easier to jack from pasanger side.

good luck..
45min job, with 10 min beer break...cost - $40
BIGTUNA, I just finished up the 1st oil change on my C (2200 miles). Exact setup that you did: K&N oil filter and Mobile 1.

I tried using my ramps at the house, but the nose is too low. One of the benefits of being in the military is use of an Auto Hobby Shop. For $2, I rented a lube stall. Drove the mighty Hemi onto to the lift, cranked it up, viola, oil changed in about 20 minutes. However, it took me a minute to figure out the plastic shroud under the oil pan.

I'm sure you noticed the funky setup on the oil filter output from the block .......it's not round like every car that I've ever worked on. Interesting to say the least. Did you also notice the hash mark on the oil pan plug and the one on the oil pan? I guess it's to make sure the service technicians don't over-torque it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Today I went to my Chrysler dealership to buy an oil filter. The parts guy told me that the 300C takes the same oil filter as the 300M. That seemed weird to me since the 300C is a Hemi engine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
300CinLV said:
Today I went to my Chrysler dealership to buy an oil filter. The parts guy told me that the 300C takes the same oil filter as the 300M. That seemed weird to me since the 300C is a Hemi engine.
Why would you feel that the 3.5 V6 is any different than the 5.7 V8 Hemi? Both are gasoline fed fuel injected internal combustion, and nowadays the combustion chamber design isn't too different. That "hemi" chamber (which really isn't a true hemi any longer, it's just a trademark) alone shouldn't make any difference in oil flow, filtering, and heat control so long as a good Mopar filter prescribed for the car is used. That's what you should be concerned about along with a good quality oil or synthetic.

The fact is that some brands of oil filters are just junk and better not even installed on any car. Staying with Mopar can't hurt your car, whatever the engine, so long as Mopar says it if for your car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No knowing that much about engines, it seemed like a big diffence to me. I purchased the Mopar oil filter, and my husband will change the oil to synthetic oil tomorrow.

If the dealership tells me it fits, then I am going to use it. Better to take their advise than someone at Pepboys, right?

·
Registered
365 Posts
300CinLV --Absolutely. Way to go. You did good! Just don't buy any critical parts from the Boys, i.e., no oil filters, for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
mileshoover said:
300CinLV --Absolutely. Way to go. You did good! Just don't buy any critical parts from the Boys, i.e., no oil filters, for sure.
Wix oil filters are top quality...I buy my filters at NAPA, the NAPA brand filters are made by Wix (silver or gold). You can catch them on sale for under $2.00...you can't beat it. Don't ever buy Fram, they are junk!!! Years ago Mopar oil filters were made by Wix, then more recently Fram. I don't know who makes them now....

·
Registered
272 Posts
yeah my experience is that wix filters are indeed good filters. however, i agree with Miles, i take mine to dealer for oil changes and carry my syntec with me but use mopar filter. i also keep my oil reciept and dealer oil change reciept so no future conflicts if something happens.

·
Registered
272 Posts
yeah my experience is that wix filters are indeed good filters. however, i agree with Miles, i take mine to dealer for oil changes and carry my syntec with me but use mopar filter. i also keep my oil reciept and dealer oil change reciept so no future conflicts if something happens. changes cost about $20.

·
Registered
103 Posts
james jefferson - You mean you purchase and bring the oil to the dealer? I was thinking of trying that but figured they wouldn't change the oil unless purchased from them?

·
Registered
272 Posts
changing oil

coolvanilla said:
james jefferson - You mean you purchase and bring the oil to the dealer? I was thinking of trying that but figured they wouldn't change the oil unless purchased from them?
yes i have done that with all my cars last 15 years. i buy my on oil and take it to dealer (including my 92 lexus coupe). all of them have deducted the price of their oil from the change. at times, in the past i took oil and filter. no problem.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I have done the same too, I like to do my own but I want the documentation of a dealer change for DC given their warranty shenanigans. My dealer will do it and discount the oil and filter price. Stay away from Fram filters, cardboard end caps glued in place, the worst filter on the planet. Check out the oil filter study here http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
john300k said:
Wix oil filters are top quality...I buy my filters at NAPA, the NAPA brand filters are made by Wix (silver or gold). You can catch them on sale for under $2.00...you can't beat it. Don't ever buy Fram, they are junk!!! Years ago Mopar oil filters were made by Wix, then more recently Fram. I don't know who makes them now....
Mopar may be fram or Purolater (very good), you never know. I too have used the Napa gold, an excellent filter. Go here for a cutaway of the Mopar(Purolator) filter from my C on the first change I did.http://www.300cforums.com/showthread.php?t=896&highlight=magnet

·
Registered
529 Posts
I was watching the Truck show on Spike TV on Saturday and they had an ad for Cool Blue filters (air). Has anyone heard of it or is there a website? I have never heard of this product before. Also someone was saying they were going to give an update on the K&N filters. Are they worth the money? :confused:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Mikeyjohn said:
I was watching the Truck show on Spike TV on Saturday and they had an ad for Cool Blue filters (air). Has anyone heard of it or is there a website? I have never heard of this product before. Also someone was saying they were going to give an update on the K&N filters. Are they worth the money? :confused:
Am I on the wrong thread here? If so I apologize and will go to bed without supper!!! Please place in right discussion if I am wrong. Thxs. :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts