Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Oil in the 6.1L SRT-8, info only

12K views 64 replies 30 participants last post by  topfuel67 
#1 ·
Guys,

Do to the recent thread I started that got way out of control, I have been doing a lot of research on oil specifications for this motor. Unfortunately, the MS-10725 Daimler Chrysler spec does not show up online, so I finally called DaimlerChrysler directly today to try and clear this up.

I, like many of you, put some serious effort into locating Mobil 1 0W-40 over the last week almost. It is hard stuff to find and if you really want an eye opener, get the price per quart from your local DCX parts department(or the 150 or so oil change service fee).

Anyway, today at 4:05pm I called DCX customer support and was told that a good quality synthetic was required for this motor. I asked what good quality meant. I got a list that included Valvoline synthetic, Castrol, Royal Purple(hmmm), and Amsoil(sorry, I had to ask, you know me, he didn't recommend it pricewise, though ;) ). Now, the even better part was the fact that most of these are NOT 0W-40 oils, most are 5W-30 or 5W-40 and one he mentioned was even 10W-40.

Anyway, that is the info and for anyone curious about oil and modern formulations, I would enjoy seeing you at 'Bob Is The Oil Guy' forums on oil discussion. I learned a lot over there, along with my chemistry background, and they have numerous postings of oil analysis at various milages(yes, there are some Mobil 1 OW-40 results and they show some concern, one reason I want to steer clear to a higher quality oil personally). Check out German Castrol sometime!!! It is awesome, hard to find though, even harder than Mobil 1 0W-40.

The factory filter is a good quality unit and Mobil 1 OW-40 is recommended, so should you have any issues, the oil cannot be a concern if you stay this route. The best reason, perhaps, to stay the route. Please don't put a fram filter on your SRT-8, my .02 on it.

Todd

See less See more
#2 ·
WhiteDiamond said:
Guys,

Do to the recent thread I started that got way out of control, I have been doing a lot of research on oil specifications for this motor. Unfortunately, the MS-10725 Daimler Chrysler spec does not show up online, so I finally called DaimlerChrysler directly today to try and clear this up.

I, like many of you, put some serious effort into locating Mobil 1 0W-40 over the last week almost. It is hard stuff to find and if you really want an eye opener, get the price per quart from your local DCX parts department(or the 150 or so oil change service fee).

Anyway, today at 4:05pm I called DCX customer support and was told that a good quality synthetic was required for this motor. I asked what good quality meant. I got a list that included Valvoline synthetic, Castrol, Royal Purple(hmmm), and Amsoil(sorry, I had to ask, you know me, he didn't recommend it pricewise, though ;) ). Now, the even better part was the fact that most of these are NOT 0W-40 oils, most are 5W-30 or 5W-40 and one he mentioned was even 10W-40.

Anyway, that is the info and for anyone curious about oil and modern formulations, I would enjoy seeing you at 'Bob Is The Oil Guy' forums on oil discussion. I learned a lot over there, along with my chemistry background, and they have numerous postings of oil analysis at various milages(yes, there are some Mobil 1 OW-40 results and they show some concern, one reason I want to steer clear to a higher quality oil personally). Check out German Castrol sometime!!! It is awesome, hard to find though, even harder than Mobil 1 0W-40.

The factory filter is a good quality unit and Mobil 1 OW-40 is recommended, so should you have any issues, the oil cannot be a concern if you stay this route. The best reason, perhaps, to stay the route. Please don't put a fram filter on your SRT-8, my .02 on it.

Todd
Do you mean $150.00 for an oil change????? I hope I'm reading that wrong

#3 ·
reply to cost for oil change...

mine was $97.38 at the dealer...
definitely looking into the pre-paid oil package DCX offers...
works out to like $48.00 a change at the dealer...

#4 ·
The pricing could be worse.......

In what must be the worst possible oil change, my air cooled 911 takes 11 quarts of Mobil 1, has 2 oil filters, and is a dry sump engine with remote mounted oil cooler. That means they put the car on a lift and let the oil drain from all the lines for several hours. Total cost is about $300 per oil change.

7 quarts and one oil filter every 6,000 miles is a bargain!!

#59 ·
Just bought my 06 SRT8 a couple of weeks ago. I decided to get the oil changed from the dealer and it ended up costing $110.42! I thought that was really high, so I asked them why so much. They said the manufacturers approved engine oil is expensive (9.98 a quart X 7), so I went on my way. According to my maintenance book, I should do an oil change every 6K, but the dealer sticker says its due in 3K. At that price, I'm going with the 6K!

#6 ·
JMatt said:

In what must be the worst possible oil change, my air cooled 911 takes 11 quarts of Mobil 1, has 2 oil filters, and is a dry sump engine with remote mounted oil cooler. That means they put the car on a lift and let the oil drain from all the lines for several hours. Total cost is about $300 per oil change.

Seeing as you said every 600o miles......I'm curious how many folks are going with the 6000 mile intervals.? I'm doing 3000 right now, but i have been driving it pretty hard, but I was considering going 6000 after i settle down a bit

#7 ·
I stopped by Walmart today, and picked up enough 5W-40 Mobil 1 for two changes. They did not have any 0W-40, but the manual says 5w-40 is OK, I don't anticipate temps below -20*F here. The price was $20 for a 5 qt. jug, and the one quart containers were ~$5 each.
I will be doing the changes myself, as I have always done. Even so, between the 7 qts and a Mobil 1 filter, each change will cost me ~$40 just for supplies.
I only put about 7K on my car / year, so I change the oil every 2500-3000 miles. If I put more miles on a car, I think I would let it go until 4 or 5 K.
I'm a firm believer in doing the first oil change at around 300 miles, because the most wear takes place in an engine when it is brand new. You also have cleaning solutions, casting by-products, and general crap left in the engine from the manufacturing process.
-Steve

#48 ·
I stopped by Walmart today, and picked up enough 5W-40 Mobil 1 for two changes. They did not have any 0W-40, but the manual says 5w-40 is OK, I don't anticipate temps below -20*F here. The price was $20 for a 5 qt. jug, and the one quart containers were ~$5 each.
I will be doing the changes myself, as I have always done. Even so, between the 7 qts and a Mobil 1 filter, each change will cost me ~$40 just for supplies.
I only put about 7K on my car / year, so I change the oil every 2500-3000 miles. If I put more miles on a car, I think I would let it go until 4 or 5 K.
I'm a firm believer in doing the first oil change at around 300 miles, because the most wear takes place in an engine when it is brand new. You also have cleaning solutions, casting by-products, and general crap left in the engine from the manufacturing process.
-Steve
Was this the walmart in green acres mall?

#8 ·
wow-we got lucky
our deal on the mag SRT8 (full list no discount) includes free oil changes for life!
And since we never intend to sell it, say 200,000 miles (remember I WILL change the oil--its free), say what every 5,000 miles (not sure what the manual says) thats 40 changes at say $100 each (including tax) is $4 grand. Ignoring time value of money that sounds okay to me.
The dealer moved to a new location and a promo they were having was the oil change thing. I'll bet they did not realize the cost of an SRT8 change. We were their first sale at that location. (still not delivered, in D1, ship date Aug 23)

#10 ·
You guys are getting the oil changes for less than 100.00??!!! I am going to have to call a few more dealerships around here..Not that I'm going to take it in, but I think I just got phone raped :D

SRT42, for oil analysis stuff, do a search for that website or remove the spaces between the words with a .com at the end ;)

Todd

#12 ·
need4speed said:
I would feel more comfortable running an Amsoil fluid. I have been running 0w30 in my STi for the last year or so ....

I wish Amsoil had a 0w40, it would just make me more comfortable running it.... sometimes the winters get below -20 degrees here .....
Amsoil Euro Spec 5W-40 has received and is still receiving a great deal of attention on the oil board. Anaylsis after 7K, 9K and even longer OCI(oil change intervals) is showing the oil doing its job and with very little degredation, unlike Mobil 1 0W-40 at 7K miles. Check out the German Castrol synthetic as well. It is very hard to come by, but has outstanding lubrication and protection.

Just info:
Mobil 1 0W-40 cold pour is -65 degrees.
Amsoil 5W-40 Euro Spec cold pour is -59 degrees
Data on almost every other oil is listed on that website.

Todd

#20 ·
need4speed said:
hmmm .. one would think that this 5w40 that they make would be acceptable though .....

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/afl.aspx

EDIT: Sorry, I'm a nimrod, I guess this one doesn't meet the DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-10725 .......
Need4speed,

This Amsoil exceeds the spec big time. The standard Amsoil synthentics meet the spec. Euro blend oils are typically MUCH higher grade than anything sold in America. The Amsoil meets the Mercedes Benz spec 229.5 which is perhaps the most difficult spec for oil right now(gasoline engines, that is). The Mobil 1 0W-40 also meets it, but I have seen the anaylsis of both oils after use and the Amsoil is still in much better shape to protect.

Todd

#21 ·
I've always done my own changes, of course all I've had are pickups. I get a couple free ones, but I think after then, I'll buy the oil and filter and carry it to one of the local lube guys here in Anthem who has a lift. He seems really good, and somebody I could trust.

#22 · (Edited)
JMatt said:

Could be an Enzo, 12 qts of Shell special synthetic at $60.00 (that's right sixty) per quart, Don't use it and void your warranty, engine rebuild is estimated at $200K.

Oh, btw, as good as amsoil 5w40 is, it is still not 0w40 which is indeed factory spec for the SRT8.

As long as $7 is the norm, what about Redline, do they have a 0w40.

#23 ·
II kings 9:20 said:
Oh, btw, as good as amsoil 5w40 is, it is still not 0w40 which is indeed factory spec for the SRT8.

Actually, Mobil 1 is 'recommended' and not spec'd. Also, Mobil 1 is basically the only oil company producing the 0W-40 synthetic that can meet the 'specifications' for oil on this vehicle. All of the Euro spec oils that meet MB's 229.5 spec are not 0W-xx, they are almost all 5W-xx.....There is a reason for this, but that is another discussion all together. It appears you have to meet the MB 229.3 spec for this car, but Chrysler won't cross reference the MS-10725 directly for me. They just give me a list that includes oils off of the 229.3 approved list.

Todd

#24 ·
If anyone wants to save money on their oil changes, then go with the Mobil 5-40. Even Chyrslers own oil chart tells you that the only time you need the 0-40, is when your in temps below -20F. You can buy Mobil 5-40 at many national auto parts stores and take the oil to a oil change place if you don't want to do it yourself. Also, if you do change your own oil, make sure you keep a log of your mileage and date that you made the change. It wouldn't hurt to hold onto any recietes for oil too. Cecil......... :yawn:

#25 ·
II kings 9:20 said:
Could be an Enzo, 12 qts of Shell special synthetic at $60.00 (that's right sixty) per quart, Don't use it and void your warranty, engine rebuild is estimated at $200K.

No offense but if you own an Enzo i really don't think you're gonna be too worried about your oil changes. just my .02, but if I'm spending Enzo bucks I think the oil changes are gonna be the LAST thing on my mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.