Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
oil leak on top any ideas ? SOLVED

Ok guys, had an oil leak on the top around the right hand side of the turbo area (looking from the front) gets worse on the motorway and first time done a few miles serious panic when saw smoke out of bonnet - it was some oil burning off !! I cant see anything obvious and its not mountains of oil seems to collect between wiring loom and turbo.
Any ideas where its coming from ? and fix ?
thanks Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Could be rocker cover......whereabouts are you from?

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Hi Steve.
There's an oil cooler in between the V under the inlet manifolds that has been known to leak on Mercs. I really hope it's not that. Is it definitely engine oil and not diesel? It's common for the rubber fuel pipes to sweat/leak and that would be an easy fix.
I also seem to remember something about the oil filler cap has to be on the right way round.
Hopefully someone on the forum can pin point the problem.

regards

Doug L

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Don't think it's the oil cooler as the one we did you couldn't see the oil leak from above as it ran down a purpose built channel so it runs out over the starter motor

Reactions: Sonsarus Amaryllus

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had oil in a similar place. Turned out to be the seal in the charged air tube where it slides on to the turbo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

thanks for all suggestions , got to try and clean it off and try and inspect after a short journey.
Interested in the "seal in the charged air tube where it slides on to the turbo." steadyaway I replaced the air intake pipe to the turbo as usually recomended as the original oil seal was on this and these have a habit of failing is this what you were meaning ? The leak seams to be behind the turbo directly under the engine cove mount in this area still struggling to identify where its from and its damn cold under the bonnet today !

·
Registered
390 Posts
The seal I'm on about is in the alloy tube which runs forward towards the radiator from the turbo. If you remove your engine cover you will see it. There is a " Torx" screw about two thirds down. Remove this, grab hold of the pipe and give it a good shake. If it rattles at the turbo end then the seal is shot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
solved

sorry its taken a while weather too cold Christmas etc but solved the leak .
It was the oil seal on the pressure steel/alu pipe from the turbo . Seal split underneath and dripping oil below and the air draught from the rear of the turbo blowing the oil up and around making it hard to see where the oil was from any way £6 from the dealer and job done . Many thanks to all who made a suggestion. One thing I struggled with was the clip at the end of the pipe just a screw and didn't realise the "bracket " was a c clip and you pulled this out and the removed the pipe . Big bloke and just kept pulling !! Next time I'll know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This jobs next on my list, got new seals for both ends of the charged air pipe and the turbo intake seal. My oil leak isn't as bad. More of a fine coating but in the same areas.
Better get it done before it goes worse...........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts