Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing my catch can today and decided to clean out the TB one last time. Removing the cover off of the air filter revealed a couple of drops of engine oil on the fileter. Where is it coming from? And what is that tube that runs from the box to the engine? What does it do?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
That should be the crankcase breather hose. Air flow direction should be from air box to crankcase. But supposedly, under certain rare conditions, the air flow can reverse and oil from the crankcase can backup into the air filter.

Look inside the airbox, where the breather hole is located. Is there any oil on the inside of your air box?

I checked the breather hole area inside my air box about 2 months ago and there was no oil.

Here is a picture of my first filter change after about 12k-13k miles. It does look like oil was entering my air box, but there is none inside the air box.

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That should be the crankcase breather hose. Air flow direction should be from air box to crankcase. But supposedly, under certain rare conditions, the air flow can reverse and oil from the crankcase can backup into the air filter.

Look inside the airbox, where the breather hole is located. Is there any oil on the inside of your air box?

I checked the breather hole area inside my air box about 2 months ago and there was no oil.

Here is a picture of my first filter change after about 12k-13k miles. It does look like oil was entering my air box, but there is none inside the air box.
No, there is no oil on the inside of the air box, only a couple of spots on the top of the air filter. It seems to be "dripping", as the hose has a slight film of oil in it and so do the connectors from the engine and the airbox.
Is there anything that can be done about this?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I just took these pics of the breather hose and inside the air box.
Is the first pic the hose you are referring to?
I can't explain why there would be oil on the outside connectors, unless someone spilled oil during an oil change.

I was wrong in my previous post. Oil has backed-up into my air box.
The fuzzy pic is inside the air box where the breather hose enters the air box.
Oil can be seen, although it cannot be felt.
I assume it is oil, although it doesn't feel oily.
The other pic with the arrow is the top half of the air box where the oil has drained to the edge of the air box.
But my filter is clean. I changed it about 3k miles ago.

I wouldn't worry about the oil drops for now. I would watch it to see if continues, or gets worse. I don't know if a faulty/plugged PCV valve could cause blow bye to get forced out the breather hole.
How many miles since you changed your PCV valve?

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just took these pics of the breather hose and inside the air box.
Is the first pic the hose you are referring to?
I can't explain why there would be oil on the outside connectors, unless someone spilled oil during an oil change.

I was wrong in my previous post. Oil has backed-up into my air box.
The fuzzy pic is inside the air box where the breather hose enters the air box.
Oil can be seen, although it cannot be felt.
I assume it is oil, although it doesn't feel oily.
The other pic with the arrow is the top half of the air box where the oil has drained to the edge of the air box.
But my filter is clean. I changed it about 3k miles ago.

I wouldn't worry about the oil drops for now. I would watch it to see if continues, or gets worse. I don't know if a faulty/plugged PCV valve could cause blow bye to get forced out the breather hole.
How many miles since you changed your PCV valve?
I changed it in December, under warranty.
BTW, that oil catch can I installed yesterday (it's a DIY job, but it cost my $18) has collected 3 TABLESPOONS of oil so far. It's only been about 100 miles! :scared:
Yes, my airbox looks like that. The drops of oil were sitting ontop of the mesh and there was a drop in the hose. I found it 2 oil changes ago for the first time, but that might just mean the oil was always there and was dropping through the OEM air filter mesh and seeping into the filter media. This air filter (wix) has a much closer "weave" so I suspect the oil just falls out of the house and sits there.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I changed it in December, under warranty.
BTW, that oil catch can I installed yesterday (it's a DIY job, but it cost my $18) has collected 3 TABLESPOONS of oil so far. It's only been about 100 miles! :scared:
Wow! 3 tablespoons after 100 miles is a big problem. That is not normal.
You have serious blow-bye occurring.
How often do you have to add oil?

Here are pics of my catch-can after 400 miles.
I am accumulating about 1/2 a TEASPOON every 400 miles.
The amount of oil in my can is consistent with others.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the cause of blow-by?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Has anyone made one of these cans by hand, or with parts from the auto store?

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
No, there is no oil on the inside of the air box, only a couple of spots on the top of the air filter. It seems to be "dripping", as the hose has a slight film of oil in it and so do the connectors from the engine and the airbox.
Is there anything that can be done about this?
Completely normal, under high throttle conditions, a slight vacuum will happen causing vapor to some out in small quantities.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok, I've got a story for everyone. I went and made my own filter system, like the picture above w/ a filter from home depot. I got done, and it was steller... It looked great, and probably would have been fine. Then I walked away, feeling like it just wasn't robust enough... I mean, if the plastic warps from the heat, or crystalizes from the oil, or the o-ring does not seal... or the filter plugs up, I could potentially totally lose the closed system, resulting in an open vacuum port, and a damaged engine, due to lean mix. I went ahead, and pulled everything out, and cleaned it all up and returned it all. I went ahead and bought the BT catch can today. I will assemble it and add photos. I want something that I can walk away from and know it will work for the life of the car on a $40,000 car...

·
Registered
84 Posts
The only problem I have is that I'm a little upset that on this expensive of a car (that I absolutely love) that Chrysler would allow this to happen and not add something similar to catch this oil. This has to add to their engine warranty issues, spark plug premature failure, and engine gunk buildup and loss of power. I wonder if they don't do something like this, because the engine will simply probably survive, and this would add an unwanted service point for the average driver that doesn't want to service anything.... Just thinking outloud, but it would be nice to hear from a Chrysler engineer...

·
Registered
84 Posts
one more thing - Has anyone w/ the Billet can, seen oil in the line after the can... is there still any fine mist blow bye?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts