Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my beautiful black 300C is a fine machine. I do, however, get an occasional smell of oil burning, like when you spill oil on a hot manifold. My frend said he has smelled it too on his 300C. Usually after a higher speed drive, slowing for a toll booth or such. Any one else had a similar experience? Thought it would go away by now (1200 mi) but still get it once in a while.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have over 2000 miles on my C and no oil smell...you shouldn't have any oil smell, since oil fumes from engine heated oil should be managed through the pcv valves and the rest of the pollution control systems. I would take the time to get the car into the Dealer and get it into their vehicle service computer, should the problem continue or get worse.
Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Probably a bad seal on your stock oil filter or some such. I had a drip on mine that I took care of when I did the first oil change. Best thing to do is get it up in the air and look around carefullly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
300C smell

The first day I got my 300C. I was speeding home from the dealership and I smelt a burning smell. I thought it was maybe plastic that the dealership left under the hood. A little ways down the road the car was smoking from it looked like the left tire. The car hasn't smoked anymore, but every once in a while I do get that smell, less and less each time. I have 2700 miles on car now. Maybe just breaking it in.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Im in the middle if a long road trip now and never a smell of oil. My C has 3000 mi on it now, and been through an oil change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oil smell

I think I figured out the oil smell. Althought I thought I had checked the oil level carefully before, I guess not. I checked it today, after continuing to get the smell of burning oil. I found that the factory had added an additional quart of motor oil, showed all the way above the "safe" mark to the bend in the wire. I sucked it out (am a boater, have the sucker) and then took it for a spin, no smell so far. Hope it didn't cause any damage, I would guess too much oil would, foam and screw up the PCV valve, or such. Hate it when the obvious turns out to be the solution. Damn

·
Registered
272 Posts
oil change

Midnight Blue C said:
at what mileage did everyone get their first oil change? did you notice any difference at all after the first change? im at 1500, i am due arent i..
i changed my oil and filter to castrol syntec at 310 miles, and will change again at 1000miles. then i'll get on a 3k to 4k schedule.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts