Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a couple of occasions in the last few days I've had the oil light come on (the red oil can picture on the dash). On the first couple of times I brought up the EVIC pressure display and then pulled over and checked the level. Everything seemed fine - the level is still at the max mark, and the EVIC reported 115p (which is all it ever seems to report apart from zero, unless it is left displayed when the ignition is turned off, in which case I've found it sometimes jumps to 147p!). After restarting the light went out. On the third occasion the light went out by itself without me having to pull over.

It's coming up for a year since the last service, so I'll be booking it in again very soon, and will get this checked out then, but I wonder if anyone else has had this. Is there a known problem with the oil pressure warning light? I can't see why the light would come on if the pressure and level are both fine. I phoned the local dealer in case it is an urgent genuine oil pressure problem, but was told that as long as the level is fine, then I can keep driving it until the next service.

·
Registered
148 Posts
now i am not a mechanic, but surely a failing oil pump might give this problem, it cant be just about levels.

I found this about the OM642 engine here:-
http://www.ourexcellentadventures.com/wp-content/documents/OM642.pdf

A separate roller chain is used to drive the oil pump. Via a large full-flow oil filter,
the efficient and quiet external-gear pump delivers the oil to the
[FONT=CorpoA,Bold][FONT=CorpoA,Bold]oil-water heat
exchanger
[/FONT][/FONT]located between the cylinder banks. The high 15-kW output of the
heat exchanger ensures that even under extreme engine loads, the oil
temperature does not rise above 130 degrees Celsius. The tunnel of the balancer
shaft also serves as the main oil duct from which the oil flows to the main
bearings, into the cylinder heads and to the piston-cooling spray units, which

automatically open at a certain oil pressure and cool the pistons.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
if the levels ok and the pressure is ok the first thing to do is changed the oil pressure switch to eliminate it.If the oil pressure is low(in the real life)then your engine would be knocking its t1ts off,oh it is,I forgot its a diesel,lol,Seriously though get them to change the switch first(the stealerships will probably do this first anyway)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Interestingly, always on highway at 140 km/h-cruise control on.Level was OK, pressure too. Light disappeared after restart.I bought 5w 30 full synt oil at the next petrol station and refilled approx. half litre- just wanted to be safe..however the oil light came again about 100 kms later, and remained for 2-3 minutes -then disappeared.
On the 15k service I described the case to the dealer- I was told, that 'the oil level was low'- even I told them twice that it was normal according to dipstick.They had no other idea... So, after the oil change- I made 10 000 km- no more oil lamp issue. Oil now 5w 30 full synt mopar.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
if the levels ok and the pressure is ok the first thing to do is changed the oil pressure switch to eliminate it.If the oil pressure is low(in the real life)then your engine would be knocking its t1ts off,oh it is,I forgot its a diesel,lol,Seriously though get them to change the switch first(the stealerships will probably do this first anyway)
just an enquiry - have you ever had any dealings with a CRD?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
now i am not a mechanic, but surely a failing oil pump might give this problem, it cant be just about levels.
I'd tend to agree with you. What confuses the issue though is the fact that the EVIC oil pressure display shows normal pressure, so if we are to trust that display it suggests that the pump is still performing adequately. I suppose it's possible that the oil is knackered, but I would think that's unlikely after just less than a year and 12,000 miles, and in any case, how would the engine 'know' the oil was knackered if the pressure's ok? (edit: just checked - only 10 months and 8000 miles!).

I'll suggest that - thanks. Do you think it's possible that there are two pressure sensors - one for the EVIC and one for the warning lamp? It does seem to suggest a fault with the warning system or sensor, as in every other respect the engine is fine - quiet (yes Ray!), smooth, cool etc.

Except.......

More warning lights today. I had the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) light, and then the Engine light (and what with another flash of the oil warning light, and the cruise control lamp I was lit up like a Christmas tree!). Along with the ETC light the engine revs were restricted, so acceleration wasn't so brisk (more like a normal car!), but in all other respects it was still ok - still quiet, still cool, still showing normal oil pressure and temps. So I'm on the fence at the moment - either there is a serious engine problem, or (more likely, I'm hoping) it is just a fault with a control system somewhere, triggering various spurious errors.

Needless to say it's off to the dealership PDQ, so I'll find out soon.

Same thing happened to me. Interestingly, always on highway at 140 km/h-cruise control on.Level was OK, pressure too. Light disappeared after restart.I bought 5w 30 full synt oil at the next petrol station and refilled approx. half litre- just wanted to be safe..however the oil light came again about 100 kms later, and remained for 2-3 minutes -then disappeared.
On the 15k service I described the case to the dealer- I was told, that 'the oil level was low'- even I told them twice that it was normal according to dipstick.They had no other idea... So, after the oil change- I made 10 000 km- no more oil lamp issue. Oil now 5w 30 full synt mopar.
That's encouraging. So what does that suggest then? Does this engine really kill the oil between services, and how does this trigger a warning if the pressure's OK? Or was there perhaps some swarf or sludge in the sensor that was flushed out in the oil change?

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
just an enquiry - have you ever had any dealings with a CRD?
an engine is an engine is an engine to us,first port of call is the switch unless the engine is knocking then its all over

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Except.......

More warning lights today. I had the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) light, and then the Engine light (and what with another flash of the oil warning light, and the cruise control lamp I was lit up like a Christmas tree!). Along with the ETC light the engine revs were restricted, so acceleration wasn't so brisk (more like a normal car!), but in all other respects it was still ok - still quiet, still cool, still showing normal oil pressure and temps. So I'm on the fence at the moment - either there is a serious engine problem, or (more likely, I'm hoping) it is just a fault with a control system somewhere, triggering various spurious errors.

Needless to say it's off to the dealership PDQ, so I'll find out soon.
ahh now sounds to me like computer error somewhere down the line as so many things being spiked,gotta go on the diagnostics

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spoke to the dealer this morning - he mentioned the dreaded swirl port motor! I can understand this triggering the ETC warning, but I can't immediately see how it could trigger the oil warning light a few days earlier though.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a bit of investigation, the dealer confirmed that the swirl port motor needs to be changed. At 37,000 miles I thought I'd got away with it. Oh well, at least it's happened while I'm still in the warranty period. Has anyone yet tried to claim for this outside the warranty period?

He believes my original oil warning light is unrelated, and since the system is swamped by warnings from the swirl port motor problem, and since the oil light isn't actually on at the moment, he can't tell what's causing it yet. I feel as though I'm in good hands at this point though, and have a replacement hire car through Chrysler Assist, so I'm happy to let them work through the problems.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
hmmm.... thought the symptoms had a familiar ring - it was the oil light that threw me. Surprised you need a replacement car though - I had mine back in 4 hours

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Four hours? I thought this was a big repair. Is the swirl port motor significantly easier than the linkage then? I asked about the linkage, and he said he can't change it under warranty unless there's a problem with it, which is fair enough I suppose. He couldn't do the motor on the spot though, as he had to order in the kit. He did mention that they've had no 'second' failures after fitting the repair kits - they stay fixed apparently (famous last words, touch wood etc...)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Now back to the issue of oil pressure/ light. There is no oil pressure sensor!! (simply a default reading of about 115 kpa) Cheap and nasty. Buy a Merc and you get the sensor. I have tried to get discussion on this topic in this UK forum at least 3 times in the past. Never much interest shown. If you are concerned or at least interested, follow this link. http://www.300cforums.com/forums/australia-forum/60687-no-oil-pressure-reading-update.html Good luck.

Kel.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Kelvin

That explains a lot. I had completely missed your previous posts about this - I'm going to keep an eye on the Australia Forum from now on.

From what I could understand in Chrysler's response to you, the oil warning lamp and the cluster display are based on the same logic (which seems like a very complicated way of avoiding a proper pressure sensor). To me, that doesn't explain why the EVIC 'pressure' display reads OK while the oil light is on. I don't have the car or manual with me at the moment, so can't check, but I seem to remember that the red oil can lamp was described in my handbook as a low >pressure< lamp, rather than a low >level< lamp (I could be wrong). Is there a separate warning lamp for low >level<?

Whatever - if there isn't a pressure sensor to replace after all, I'll be interested to see what the dealer makes of this condition. If there's no pressure sensor anywhere, and the level is definitely OK, what possible logic could trigger the lamp while the pressure 'guess' is still OK? Perhaps a replacement pressure 'switch' is in order.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks for your reply Chris. I have no idea what the solution is. However my experience in the trade is not always favourable to engines not equipped with oil pressure sensors. Detroit diesel also pulled this stunt and claimed that an oil temp sensor was only necessary. If oil temp got too hot, therefore something major was wrong eg. bearings failing, therefore no pressure. Go figure. But it is a poor show by Chrysler in this case. As for the Aussie forum, we have a fairly active CRD dicussion happening at times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On a couple of occasions in the last few days I've had the oil light come on (the red oil can picture on the dash). On the first couple of times I brought up the EVIC pressure display and then pulled over and checked the level. Everything seemed fine - the level is still at the max mark, and the EVIC reported 115p (which is all it ever seems to report apart from zero, unless it is left displayed when the ignition is turned off, in which case I've found it sometimes jumps to 147p!). After restarting the light went out. On the third occasion the light went out by itself without me having to pull over.

It's coming up for a year since the last service, so I'll be booking it in again very soon, and will get this checked out then, but I wonder if anyone else has had this. Is there a known problem with the oil pressure warning light? I can't see why the light would come on if the pressure and level are both fine. I phoned the local dealer in case it is an urgent genuine oil pressure problem, but was told that as long as the level is fine, then I can keep driving it until the next service.
help cause this is my exact problem. Repair shop tried aftermarket and dealer oil pressure switch. Same problem. The repair shop put synthetic oil in my car. I have never put synthetic oil in it. Is this the problem please help two payments away from paying this car off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
helllo i have a 300c from 2007 . 3.0 l diesel v6. and i had the same problem. at 140 km in cruise control.mode the oild light turns on. and after off. a to off the cruise control no more oil light alarm. i do not understand. what was your solution to this situation? you change oil sensor? thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 21 Posts