Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered in the forums but the more I read the more confused I get.
I have a 2007 5.7L 300c.
A few months ago my left headlight went out. I went to my local car parts store and they gave me a price of $400 for a replacement bulb! (I live in New Zealand so we get ripped off down here). The old bulb is a DiS 35w from Osram.
I decided to get a new pair of xenon bulbs from Ebay for about US$50.

I replaced both bulbs but they flickered heaps and sometimes the left one would turn off completley. Now the left one wont work at all. I tried plugging in one of the orginal Osram bulbs (the good one) and that wouldnt work either, I swapped the bulbs around and still no go.

Im guessing my ballast is broken? Im worried if I buy an OEM Ballast the new xenon bulbs will stuff it up. At a cost of NZ$900 for one ballast I cant be getting it wrong.

So now Im thinking of getting a HID Kit with bulbs and ballasts from Ebay. They seem to go for around US$100.

To add to the confusion I asked a seller on Ebay if his kit was a simple plug and play install for my 300c, he replied by saying I may need a canbus?? :headache:

Ive also read that the ballast is attached to the OEM Bulbs?

If someone can help me out here I'd be so thankful!

Also, how many ballasts do 300c's have? Are there seperate ballasts for high beam, low beam, park lights and fog lights? If I'm taking my front bumper off to get to the ballasts I may as well replace my fog lights too but if thats going to be a mission I'll forget it.

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
Under each headlight is the ballest and it controls your low beam hid headlight..and yes you will have to take the facia off to get to it.and only replace the bulb with a D1S compatible bulb.and if your ballest is the problem chances are your original bulb is still good,or did you check it by moving it to the other side?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I swapped the bulbs around and the left side is still out. So I guess its the ballast?
Any recommendations on a good after market HID Kit?

·
Registered
899 Posts
ya that sounds like a ballast issue...i say go aftermarket. i swapped to a d2s kit which is much cheaper to replace if anything ever goes wrong again. just need an adapter so the bulb will be held in place properly. definitely don't get the oem ballast from the dealer tho. i found some d1s bllasts when i replaced the first oem one that went out on mine for about $150

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for DIPING on your tread, BUT... Very interesting fellas, I have a simillar problem, in my 2006 300c srt-8. I drove through a simi-flooded street last night, NOW... My passenger HID(OEM) will not come on @ all. To rule out the bulb, purchased new one @ Advanced Auto/ 99$. After proper instalation(EASY), Nothing!.!. The mangaer of store was reluctant to refund $, after much deliberating, He saw it my way! So now my question... Ballast??? Any way to check? Do you have to pull hole front clip/ bumper cover, to get to ballast?

·
Registered
899 Posts
probably fried the ballast. those things can be sensitive....first one i lost was right after a small little bump while doing my first set of halos...

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,568 Posts
Question for the thread originator. You said you bought some xenon bulbs. Are they D1S HID bulbs with a bi-xenon high beam? If not, understand that a xenon low beam won't work. Before you go any further, go online and get a new set of D1S HID bulbs (they can be a bi-xenon high beam bulb) in the Kelvin value you want. Stock is 4300K I believe. The higher the number, the more blue they get. I have 6000K in my Ram and 8000K in the SRT (low beams and fogs) and I like that color.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maddog, I bought D1S bulbs but I don't know if they were bi-xenon. They worked and the right one is still going. When I put the high beam on it lights up yellow so I assumed it was a different bulb all together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I am new here but am in need of some guidance. I have a 2006 300C, 5.7L & have replaced the factory headlights (lows, highs, & fogs) with aftermarket HID's over a year ago. Just recently the passenger side low beam has gone out & I have replaced the HID bulb, ballast, bought ALL new HID bulbs & ballasts, replaced both of the 30 amp fuses under the hood, & even tried installing the factory bulbs back in & still have had no luck with the left side low beam. Put a test light on it & the connector has no power to it. I have checked the harness for a kink or cut of some type but can not locate such.

Is there something that I am overlooking or just haven't looked at yet? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Hello. I am new here but am in need of some guidance. I have a 2006 300C, 5.7L & have replaced the factory headlights (lows, highs, & fogs) with aftermarket HID's over a year ago. Just recently the passenger side low beam has gone out & I have replaced the HID bulb, ballast, bought ALL new HID bulbs & ballasts, replaced both of the 30 amp fuses under the hood, & even tried installing the factory bulbs back in & still have had no luck with the left side low beam. Put a test light on it & the connector has no power to it. I have checked the harness for a kink or cut of some type but can not locate such.

Is there something that I am overlooking or just haven't looked at yet? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Have you checked the ground wire connection just behind the headlight on the unibody cross-member?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate to bring up an old topic... but I'm having the same issue with my 2011 300c. My left headlight is not working and I have tried several different combos of ballast and bulbs. Does anyone have a workaround?

·
Registered
2 Posts
maybe something with a wire connection or a bad fuse or relay? i would try and look at the fuses especially. ive had a fusebox corrode to all hell and it was the fuse for the ignition (?) anyways the car would not turn on until i took out all the fuses and coated them with some dielectric grease. maybe you have a related issue. im not too savvy with these things so im not too sure

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Did any one find a solution to these problems?!
I don't see any solution mentioned, but don't overlook a bad ground connection to the frame just behind the headlight area. My right headlight would wink out occasionally, then one time I noticed a rapid flashing right turn signal. Ahha! same ground connection point to the frame. Cleaned and tightened it and all is well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had similar issue...ended up being a fuse and/or relay (it's been a while).
I wish that I had seen this before I bought a bulb and a ballast. I swapped both out before checking the fuses and relays, and it was a 20amp mini-fuse that was the problem. Because the problem was intermittent at the beginning, and would sometimes rectify itself if I reseated the wiring, it never occurred to me that it could have been something in the fuse box. Oh well, at least now I know that I can drop the front fascia if need be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts