Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Then Bought car a week ago been driving it everyday been doing fine no problems then the other day going down road it started overheating but let it cool down put some coolant started doing fine then it did it again pulled up code p128 replace coolant temp sensor the thermostat and fan relay .then burbed coolant system did not overheat letting run at idle for good 30 min drive it it like 30 mins never got hot stopped at gas station turned off car then started drive then started overheating again no clue any advice

·
Registered
78 Posts
Then Bought car a week ago been driving it everyday been doing fine no problems then the other day going down road it started overheating but let it cool down put some coolant started doing fine then it did it again pulled up code p128 replace coolant temp sensor the thermostat and fan relay .then burbed coolant system did not overheat letting run at idle for good 30 min drive it it like 30 mins never got hot stopped at gas station turned off car then started drive then started overheating again no clue any advice
Its a real bitch to get all the air out. What year and trim level/engine is it?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
Its a real bitch to get all the air out. What year and trim level/engine is it?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
IMO, a few things you MUST DO to insure your system is working properly:
---Insure the thermostat was installed correctly with the small bleed have in the "up" position.
---Use ONLY Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) anti-freeze mixed 50-50 with ONLY distilled water. If any other stuff has been in the system, flush it thoroughly before refilling.
--Remove the bleed screw on the water pump, just below the thermostat housing BEFORE you add the coolant. When the coolant begins coming out of the hole, screw the plug back in after wrapping it with some teflon tape. Do not over tighten it like it more than likely came from the factory. It only needs to tight enough so it doesn't leak......it's not holding back the flood gates like I am guessing the factory apparently thinks.
----Finish filling the system, start the vehicle and let it heat up to operating temperature. Let it cool down and re-service the system. This should get a good share of the air out of the system, BUT you'll need to monitor it for about a week each morning when it is cold, and add coolant as needed until it maintains the correct level.
--Once the system is fully serviced and no more coolant needs to be added, do a pressure check of the entire system, including the radiator cap....a common fail item.

Once you've done all this and all is well, your system should be in good order. Also, check the cooling fan(s) to make sure they work on all speeds.....low, medium and high.

Reactions: Korben

·
Registered
102 Posts
What magnuman said, I'd check the pressure cap first though. It's such a common and ignored failure item that when bad and unchecked causes a lot of problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and it also started feeling warm air on the passenger side while the ac was on. It would do fine and I would turn it off and it would come out of the overflow. I changed the cap on the reservoir, then put a thermostat in it and it did the same thing. I saw a little steam coming out through the water pump pulley so I put a water pump in it and that cured my problem, and don’t let it scare you because it’s a surprisingly easy pump to change. This Youtube video is the one I watched and it’s a good one and that’s the pump if you find out that’s what it is $44.95

DF16B984-ED96-4B2B-BC71-0E9A673D2AC2.png

1 - 5 of 5 Posts