Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I called the dealer about the rotor issue. My 300 SRT8 has just over 500 miles and the rotors are scored and grooved pretty badly. The rears are worse then the front, but nevertheless, the fronts are scored too. I spoke to the owner, who i got to know decently, and he said no problem, they will take care of any issue with the car. "Anything you need, we will take care of" was his line. I asked him if he was familiar with the TSB and he said he was. He transferred me to the service manager who proceeded to tell me he hasnt heard of the TSB on the brakes and "how is it possible for the information to be on the computer and me (him) not know about it" I said its out there, and i have the print out to prove it. He said to come in later in the week when our schedules matched up and he will "take a look" and see if there is a problem. I have a feeling this guy is gonna be a doosh, so if he is, anyone have any opinions on how i should deal with it...Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just go to another dealer if he's a douche. It really shouldn't be necessary, though - just go, and print out the TSB in case he has any doubts. It's printed out pretty clearly on the TSB sheet, and there's a TSB number he can use to look it up.

Don't stress - it'll probably be a non-issue once you get there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Along those lines, I talked to the SM at my dealership, and his response was that my brakes weren't gooved "enouhg". Said if he sent my rotors back to Chrysler after replacing them, that Chrysler would make him eat the cost of the slotted rotors since mine aren't grooved "enough."

What is enough? They definitely have fine groves all over all four of them, but they aren't exactly deep grooves (a bit shallower than on a vinyl record).

THis dealer is the closest one, handiest to me, I'd like to get teh work done there, so should I just keep driving til the grooves get deeper, or can I press the issue with this guy?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Didn't the TSB say something about how much it was grooved, in mm? I'm too lazy to look up the TSB at the moment, but I believe there was some sort of spec in there.

Could be wrong. I often am :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
dux said:
Along those lines, I talked to the SM at my dealership, and his response was that my brakes weren't gooved "enouhg". Said if he sent my rotors back to Chrysler after replacing them, that Chrysler would make him eat the cost of the slotted rotors since mine aren't grooved "enough."

What is enough? They definitely have fine groves all over all four of them, but they aren't exactly deep grooves (a bit shallower than on a vinyl record).

THis dealer is the closest one, handiest to me, I'd like to get teh work done there, so should I just keep driving til the grooves get deeper, or can I press the issue with this guy?
If you have very low miles on the car, maybe you should just drive some more. The grooves should get deeper.
The TSB says if even one rotor is grooved, all should be replaced. If the SM used his head, he would realize that all he needs is two grooved rotors to send back 8. If another SRT8 comes in with only two bad rotors, he's covered.
My rotors didn't look that bad when I took them in, and I explained to the SM that they were badly grooved at one point, so "check for wear". He measured the rotor thickness & found that all four were below min. He ordered new rotors, and I bringing the car in tomorrow AM.
Good luck!
-Steve

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
I believe (according to JMatt….the discoverer of the rotor grooving issue with pics) that the worst grooving seems to take place around the 1500 mile mark. This is when I really noticed mine. Then around 6k they smoothed out quite a bit. So get out there and drive your beast more….they’ll groove just fine. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts