Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this problem? The outdoor temperature indicator occasionally gets stuck, so far at either 74 or 76 degrees. I originally thought that this was the temp of the garage (which is unlikely, as it is un-cooled), and then it doesn't notice the change.

However, just now I was parked outside in 90+ degrees, and it stayed at 74 for the entire 15 minute drive home. On longer drives, it usually gets un-stuck at some point, but I haven't noticed a pattern.

Guess I'll have them check this out when the fix for pulling to the right comes in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just brought my car in today with same problem, they said that temp adjust automatically after running over 40 mph for over 2 min. I told them to check it anyways. Will see this afternoon on what they say

·
Registered
281 Posts
So Chrysler has designed a system that will never show the correct current temperature if all of your driving is in the city at 35 mph or below? That doesn't quite sound right.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just got my car. they attached it to computer and they said it was ok. I guess you do really have to drive over 40 mph for it to adjust

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem. This is the only car that would require you to drive at 40mph in order to get an accurate temp. There has to be a better answer ( sounds like a recall).

·
Registered
563 Posts
In the 300M, I drove at less than 15 MPH in a parking lot and I got a temp update. Staying below 30 MPH it continued to update. Temperature intially read 6 deg higher than bank sign display (92, was really 86). After a little driving at highway speed, it read 86.

It's like the air around the sensor has to clear and the metal heated from the sun has to cool off some via driving.

I guess the new system works similar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I live in Houston, and my temp sensor is consistently about6-8 degrees high. Even at cold start in the morning. I garage my car, so it is not an issue of the metal being heated by the sun. Took it to my local dealer and got a similar explination that I have to run the car at about 30-40 MPH to get a reset. Apparently they guys at the dealer don't have a clue....

2 Questions: Why do I consistently get wrong temps if the system is supposed to reset itself? Once recalibrated, what keeps throwing it off?

My guess is that there is a Firmware bug in the system and a fix will be coming soom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
temp reading

Is it possible the signal is coming from the air intake and is delayed to 30-40 mph to get a true reading before showing on the display.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My temp reading is rarely correct now since adding the tint to the windows...where is the sensor, and did the tint cause "sensorus interruptus"? :~

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
This is the weirdest temp guage I have ever seen, I remember my uncle's 76 Eldo had an analog circular temp guage mounted on the driver's side mirror that was very accurate. Mine seems accurate, just takes it's time to get a reading.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am not sure as I dont have mine yet... but I bet it will work fine. What in the hell is gonna change in your life if it is showing +8 degrees? You gonna go in the house and change shirts? Maybe carry a jacket?

You ladies can not be serious! Is your skin fragile at certain temps?

Do you think you might be over analyzing your car and its functions a bit if you actually know how long it takes to update the temp sensor in it?

·
Registered
631 Posts
The temperature does stick occasionally in my car as well. But it eventually updates...the thing that bothers me is its not consistent. Sometimes it will update right away and continually update while other times it will be stuck for 15-20 minutes. I think it tends to bother people because the temperature reading is right in front of you. So when the guage reads 72 degrees and its in upward of 90 degrees outside and its displayed incorrectly, it bothers you. I had the same problem in my cadillac but it never bothered me because the temperature guage was away from the drivers view. In this case its sitting right in front of you. Just my .02.

·
Banned
14 Posts
I work for a dealer and to fix the problem you need to have the cluster replaced

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
midwestrc said:
I am not sure as I dont have mine yet... but I bet it will work fine. What in the hell is gonna change in your life if it is showing +8 degrees? You gonna go in the house and change shirts? Maybe carry a jacket?

You ladies can not be serious! Is your skin fragile at certain temps?

Do you think you might be over analyzing your car and its functions a bit if you actually know how long it takes to update the temp sensor in it?
Yes we ladies are serious and as I stated mine seems to work fine, just slow. The X5 is amazingly accurate and has a freeze warning chime below 37F which is very important on wet bridges, my 88 Merkur XR4ti also had an ice chime at 36F. 6-7 yrs ago I wiped out on a bridge in November in my 87 300E, I don't know if a working temp guage would have alerted me that it was cold enough to freeze over but it sure would have been nice to at least have a chance. One could say many cars don't have these temp warnings and we got along fine without them, the same could be said for seat belts, ESP, window bags, ABS, etc. Maybe I was the idiot for not realizing how cold it was, you never see the missle that kills you. This BTW has never happened again with my new found respect for ice potential and a good temp guage could be very helpful.

·
Banned
14 Posts
The cluster is what you look at when your driving. its what the tach , spedo and
gauges are. where the temp and compass are. that piece of your dash is the cluster.
Tim.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts