Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Don't run your car without the thermostat, it will run too cool/confuse engine management etc etc. On some cars, they run bypass thermostats, and without the bypass blocked off, engine will immediately overheat, but I don't know if yours does. (Bypass thermostat has a "foot" on the bottom, easily distinguished). Guys who know this exact engine chime in and say whether "bypass" type or not.

I always test a thermostat before I use it, ie boil it to ensure it opens all the way; so do that before you put it back.

As said above, seeing "recent rebuild", likely there is air in it, as they haven't burped it properly.

Make sure all the air is out of it, manual describes how. Otherwise the cooling system just can't work.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Coolant level is full I haven’t tried burping it but I didn’t notice when I took out the thermostat and swapped out the coolant sensor that no coolant came out so I’m thinking that I’m not even getting coolant to car and notice that when after I’m done with a drive I notice coolant hoes looked swole like they about to pop
Wow, so either hoses are stuffed, or rad cap is. Test your cap (or get it tested).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Rad cap is cheap...just by a new one. Make sure it's the correct pressure rating. 18 lbs, I believe.
That's why I said test it mate. As I said, I had a brand new cap blow hoses off an old car. 13 lb cap (marked on it and packaging); when I tested it, lifted at 19 lb.

I have had "new" thermostats and caps that were wrong from new, hence why always test/make sure. Just eliminates that possibility.

Most caps are ok from new, but can get the odd one, especially with the cheap makers flooding the market. If my hoses were bulging, I'd want to know exactly what the pressure was/try and test it.

Maybe that is just me. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts