Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, fellow members of the forum.

I am concerned about my BB 300C srt8 2006... It has been at the dealer for more than 3 weeks now... It only has about 6000 miles on the odometer and they don't know what is wrong with it!

One of the plastic fans broke as I was in bumper to bumper traffic, so I stopped because of the noise... let cool the engine a little bit and saw the broken fan and a little water coming from the radiator's panel.

So, I took my car with a crane to the dealer, where they changed two fans and motors, the radiator, the cap of the cooler liquid deposit, the termostat... and so and so... they even gave me my car back about a 12 days ago, (all compliments due to the after mkt equipment, looks, and personalization).

But guess what... still showing that the engine temperature dial goes to the red line after a few minutes of driving around... So, the car went in again immediately.

The service manager called me today to say that "the factory" may allow him to change the dials in the dashboard... and see what happens! I think it should not be a trial and error situation!

Can any of you provide a little help here for me please? It will be greatly appreciated...

JUST300

·
Registered
734 Posts
I wonder if they bled the system, sounds like you might have an air pocket in the system. Does it get hot, but go down to around regular temps when you start driving? If so, that might be the result.

Secondly, did they change the thermostat and also flush the system? Might want to have them do so

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I wonder if they bled the system, sounds like you might have an air pocket in the system. Does it get hot, but go down to around regular temps when you start driving? If so, that might be the result.

Secondly, did they change the thermostat and also flush the system? Might want to have them do so

He said "they changed two fans and motors, the radiator, the cap of the cooler liquid deposit, the termostat... and so and so". Could have gotten a bad t-stat or some grease-monkey could have screwed up the installation of it (bleeder valve down, perhaps backwards even). All that they did sounds like they over-reacted, especially a flush job at 6000 miles!

Has the coolant level in the expansion tank gone down any significant amount since you got the car back. If so, there might have been air in the cooling system and it is working its way out to the tank while the coolant is entering the engine. There's a 1/4" pipe plug at the top of the water pump. Carefully unscrew it (to avoid loosing any coolant that may be present) while the engine is cold to allow any trapped air to escape and coolant to rise within the engine. Then drive it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
He said "they changed two fans and motors, the radiator, the cap of the cooler liquid deposit, the termostat... and so and so". Could have gotten a bad t-stat or some grease-monkey could have screwed up the installation of it (bleeder valve down, perhaps backwards even). All that they did sounds like they over-reacted, especially a flush job at 6000 miles!

Has the coolant level in the expansion tank gone down any significant amount since you got the car back. If so, there might have been air in the cooling system and it is working its way out to the tank while the coolant is entering the engine. There's a 1/4" pipe plug at the top of the water pump. Carefully unscrew it (to avoid loosing any coolant that may be present) while the engine is cold to allow any trapped air to escape and coolant to rise within the engine. Then drive it.
So what if it's only 6k miles for a flush or not.. Look at what his car is going through at 6k miles now. It's just good to do just in case any debris might have gotten into the system. Once again, you never know

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Yah, so what, but with "a little water coming from the radiator's panel" it's pretty unlikely that anything went into the system with the water coming out of the system.
Oh well, it was probably some kind of protocol, and free anyway (this time) under warranty.
So maybe they can finish the job when he takes it back for the overheating situation, if it does clear up by itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow... I got my car back! And after asking what was done to fix it, the only clear thing they asserted to explain to me me was that they programmed some different sensitivity into the heat sensor, so that the reading in the dashboard don't get all the way up to the red area... Is this even possible?

No one said anything about a full flush at the Chrysler service... don't even know if they did it...

I been driving around a little and the reading goes above 3/4 (90) of the dial, and then goes down to less than 3/4... will be checking on the level of coolant and will se how it goes...

Thanks a lot for your replies!

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Wow... I got my car back! And after asking what was done to fix it, the only clear thing they asserted to explain to me me was that they programmed some different sensitivity into the heat sensor, so that the reading in the dashboard don't get all the way up to the red area... Is this even possible?
It is possible that they programmed the fans to come on at lower temperatures, thus the dashboard readings are lower.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts