Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was wondering if anybody can help diagnose a overheating issue I have. I have a Diablosport Intune and a Jet 180 tstat. With the Diablo tune and fan setting at 185/195, the car would run at 87 C (190 F) all the time. I live in the country and rarely encounter heavy traffic. About 4 months ago, I got a Johan email CMR tune. It was at this time that I was doing a job in the city and was getting caught in peak hour traffic and I noticed the temperature fluctuating. When idling in traffic, the temperature would rise as high as 112 C (233 F) and then once I drove off it would settle back to 190. We discussed this and set the fans on 185/194. There was a slight improvement but still the temp would regularly go over 212 in traffic even with the HS fans on. What set the alarm bells ringing was a few days ago, there was an accident on the freeway and traffic was at a stand still. I was watching the temp gauge going up and up until it almost hit the red which is 250! I was about to switch the engine off when it started going down and stabilised around 210. I quickly did an illegal u-turn to get the car going again, 190 again no problems. The temp also goes up high after a long drive and I stop and idle for a few minutes. I can hear the HS fans going but the temp still keeps going up. I've checked the coolant level and its on the min line while its hot but I don't think adding a bit of coolant will solve the issue. Is it a software or hardware issue. I'm planning to go back to the Diablo tune to check if it's a software issue and top up the coolant. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
I would do two things:

1. Check/test both fans for proper operation.

2. When was the last time you changed your coolant?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1: As far as I can tell, the fans are working OK, both fans working at LS and HS

2: The coolant was changed 6000km or 4 months ago with specified Mopar coolant

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
With the engine "cold" add coolant to the max line. Hot coolant at the max line with a hot engine tells me you are low on coolant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed to the Diablosport canned tune and it was running a bit cooler, but temp was still fluctuating at idle but didn't go as high as Johan's tune. I then topped up the coolant and everything is fine now. I only topped up just over 1 litre of distilled water, and that was enough to almost cook my engine. I guess I'll just have to be more careful with the coolant level. Thanks guys for the feedback.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check the face of the fan at the connection point. Where the Fan attaches to the output for the motor. Their is a weak spot their. Yes the fan will still work high and low but not as much as it should from the factory.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
I would also ensure the little brass check valve is installed at twelve o'clock and the system is burped properlY.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'm having the same issue: getting hot while idling in traffic.

However, MY issue, the fans never come on, unless I turn on the AC.

So I'm thinking it's the temp sensor, even though there are no codes.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Or your fan relay has quit working properly, teahead.
Ya, could be. I pulled it off and sprayed electrical connection cleaner; didn't help.

I'll try the temp sensor 1st; only $9.00.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts