Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Detected that the engine has not reached the required temperature level within a specified amount of time after starting the engine. The intent of the P0128 code is to indicate a faulty thermostat.

------
its been like in the 30's all alot this month now its winter.

Already had the Thermostats replaced
Already had Temp Sensor replaced

The temperate gauge in the cluster never gets to the proper Spot, normally sits down at the very buttom or rises just a little but never to half way mark, and when i turn the heat on it gets "warm" sometimes, but Never blows out HOT like it should.

also the red bolt light for the throttle body comes when its really cold like 30 degree's sometimes, but goes off by next start-up and wont come back for like another week or two, (happened 3 times)

---

any idea's or help? going to the mechanic this week

·
Administrator
13,079 Posts
Sounds like you may have a collapsed hose because the coolant isn't circulating. Also, it could be air in your system. Maybe all the system needs is to be "burped" where you remove the the coolant cap and run the engine at idle until it warms up and displaces some of the air. You top off the coolant tank to the "WARM" level and you are good to go.

Oh...and one other thing. The thermostat was replace but did you use one with the vent hole in the flange and is the vent hole oriented up towards the top of the housing?

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do the elec fans run all the time?
i think i have actually heard the fans upon start up, but i haven't had to chance to start the car up and pop the hood and see if i can see them running, im not really mechanically inclined either, might try doing that 2morrow

what could cause them to turn on like that when not neede? bad sensor? wire ?

·
Registered
383 Posts
i think i have actually heard the fans upon start up, but i haven't had to chance to start the car up and pop the hood and see if i can see them running, im not really mechanically inclined either, might try doing that 2morrow

what could cause them to turn on like that when not neede? bad sensor? wire ?
yes but also bad relay. sensor. wire short.........IF the fans are on at start up cold engine this can cause much longer warm up times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
yes but also bad relay. sensor. wire short.........IF the fans are on at start up cold engine this can cause much longer warm up times.
okay guys so the same thing just happened, today.

i was riding home from work, the Red Bolt light came on and Check engine light came on at the same time, but the car never heated up at all the temp sensor never moved from the buttom, (about 15min drive, highway) how are theses two related? does the tempeture not getting hot enough tell the throttle body to affect in a different manner, is that why the red bolt light is coming on too?

i was getting 18-19mpg in the summer/fall

now its winter and along with this on going problem, im only getting 14-15mpg

ulitmately im not going to fix this my self, im going to have to go to the shop real soon, but i just like knowing things and whats going on with my car, cuz its gonna Cost $$$ and this is a on going issue

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Sounds like you may have a collapsed hose because the coolant isn't circulating. Also, it could be air in your system. Maybe all the system needs is to be "burped" where you remove the the coolant cap and run the engine at idle until it warms up and displaces some of the air. You top off the coolant tank to the "WARM" level and you are good to go.

Oh...and one other thing. The thermostat was replace but did you use one with the vent hole in the flange and is the vent hole oriented up towards the top of the housing?

Good luck!
A collapsed hose would cause the opposite MADDOG. His car would be overheating, as opposed to not reaching the proper operating temperature. Sounds like a stuck open, improperly installed, or wrong thermostat. Although I don't know why the ETC thunderbolt would be illuminated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts