Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
After that red lightning bolt appeared and hours of forums I realised that the problem would be in the swirl motor...
In the meanwhile, I have changed the EGR valve, cleaned the air filter (K&N) and I did a maintenance at the turbo.
Yesterday I did the swirl motor bypass, deleted the DTC and went for a ride!
After 500m the "red light" appeared again...
What else can I do?
In the beggining of this problem I used to see the following DTCs: P0403 and P0670.
Since yesterday I get: P0404...
The symptoms are the same: engine "hiccup" below 2.000 rev and somewhere between 1000 and 2000 rev usually appears the "lightning bolt"... On the other hand if I make a trip on the highway above 140 km/h the light never appears...
Strange? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
P0404 is that the EGR has not moved to the required position (Or more correctly the system THINKS it has NOT moved to the correct position)

It is at lowish RPM that the EGR is expected to do its job so running OK at higher revs without problems makes sense.

I assume its NOT a new EGR valve that's been fitted ?

Firstly you need to check there are no wires rubbed through in the engine compartment, check these very carefully in the area of the Air Con pipes (I haven't covered this in detail because you may be aware of this common problem)

If no problems with the wires its useful to know that the system checks for an EGR failing to move by actually looking for a Mass Air Flow Meter change, so a dodgy Mass Air Flow Meter could easily bring up the P0404 code if the EGR moves but the Mass Air Flow meter doesn't see a change in Air Flow (Your Air filter may have contributed to this if it has allowed oil to pass from the K&N filter to the MAF)

You could choose to fit a resistor in place of the EGR which will a) improve the running but will result in a code appearing after a few runs but the car wont go into limp mode.

EDIT
The error codes you got originally did NOT relate to a Swirl Motor problem so there appeared to be no need to fit a resistor. The warning light coming up doesn't point to a failed Swirl Motor in every case, you have to rely on the error codes to point you in the right direction.
Jack

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P0404 is that the EGR has not moved to the required position (Or more correctly the system THINKS it has NOT moved to the correct position)

It is at lowish RPM that the EGR is expected to do its job so running OK at higher revs without problems makes sense.

I assume its NOT a new EGR valve that's been fitted ?

Firstly you need to check there are no wires rubbed through in the engine compartment, check these very carefully in the area of the Air Con pipes (I haven't covered this in detail because you may be aware of this common problem)

If no problems with the wires its useful to know that the system checks for an EGR failing to move by actually looking for a Mass Air Flow Meter change, so a dodgy Mass Air Flow Meter could easily bring up the P0404 code if the EGR moves but the Mass Air Flow meter doesn't see a change in Air Flow (Your Air filter may have contributed to this if it has allowed oil to pass from the K&N filter to the MAF)

You could choose to fit a resistor in place of the EGR which will a) improve the running but will result in a code appearing after a few runs but the car wont go into limp mode.

EDIT
The error codes you got originally did NOT relate to a Swirl Motor problem so there appeared to be no need to fit a resistor. The warning light coming up doesn't point to a failed Swirl Motor in every case, you have to rely on the error codes to point you in the right direction.
Jack
Thank you so much for your help!
You're right! It's not a new EGR (it is from a 300C also, but not new)!
Today I don't have the oportunity to do something but tomorrow in the evening I will make some "extra hours"!! Do you know where I can get more literature about rubbered wires in this CRD engine?
Once again thank you very much for your guidance!!
If you need something from this "wine land" just let me know - Porto, Portugal!!
Best Regards,
Pedro Sousa

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Hi Pedro,

See attached picture for the area to check for rubbing.

Grab hold of the whole cable loom where it goes under the Air Con Pipes (Where I've drawn the Yellow circle) and twist the loom around to see if there are any signs of rubbing.
It is a common problem and cause many strange faults
If any wires insulation has rubbed through and the wire is showing you need to insulate each wire.

Hope you get it sorted soon friend.

Jack

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok! I just finished a 20km trip with lots of speed variations and till now I have no errors. The symptoms have disapeared and it seems like new... I did the EGR bypass with a 4K7 resistor and I have made a MAF cleaning.
I'm just curious why the EGR that I tested since Tuesday (from a car that is working perfectly with no DTCs) is giving me so much stress...
Do I need a new EGR valve? I' m tempted to keep the bypass... What do you think?
Once again thank you very much for your precious help!!
Best Regards,
Pedro Sousa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts