Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I haven't used my 300 CRD (2007 -123k miles) much over the last few months. Took it for a spin at the weekend and all was fine until I got a shuddering/kangarooing effect and the car went into limp mode with the red lightning bolt light on the dash.

Managed to get home on limp mode, plugged in my scanner and got codes P0131 and P0404. Today the car won't start at all, it just about fires up, sounds very lumpy, then dies after a few seconds, however, no codes are now stored on the ECU.

My research for code P0404 suggests the EGR valve may be the problem. Has anyone experienced the same issues? Ideally I would take it to a garage to check for codes but as the car will not start I am a bit stuck!

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all,

I haven't used my 300 CRD (2007 -123k miles) much over the last few months. Took it for a spin at the weekend and all was fine until I got a shuddering/kangarooing effect and the car went into limp mode with the red lightning bolt light on the dash.

Managed to get home on limp mode, plugged in my scanner and got codes P0131 and P0404. Today the car won't start at all, it just about fires up, sounds very lumpy, then dies after a few seconds, however, no codes are now stored on the ECU.

My research for code P0404 suggests the EGR valve may be the problem. Has anyone experienced the same issues? Ideally I would take it to a garage to check for codes but as the car will not start I am a bit stuck!

Any suggestions appreciated.
ones a faulty egr valve or carbon build up. The egr valve isnt moving to the position the ecm is telling it. I would suggest this is possibly screwing with the oxygen readings and causing p0131. Link below to a guy changing an evr valve doesnt look mega complicated

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking that the EGR valve may be the thing to clean or change first, so appreciate your views. Strange that my code reader no longer shows any codes, but I have got to start somewhere so will try the EGR valve.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is it starting? May be it just seized when sat still and had issues the first time you ran it. If you cleared the codes it may not be having time to acknowledge them before shuttingndown. The sitting still has caused me all sorts of problems this year. My parking brake system has given up over the winter, i gave it some tlc but getting progressively worse so spent £150 on parts to replace everything south of the cable.

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,768 Posts
Ideally I would take it to a garage to check for codes but as the car will not start I am a bit stuck!
Do you have any breakdown insurance? My RAC cover provides "at home" insurance and I believe their mechanics carry fairly sophisticated diagnostic gear. I assume they would also recover to a nearby garage, if necessary. Haven't needed to put them them to any test yet during my 20 yrs membership.
Strange that my code reader no longer shows any codes,
What code reader and OBD dongle are you using? Some of these devices can be hit and miss.
Ideally, you need a sophisticated diagnostic tool, such as diagFCA or AlphaOBD and a Bluetooth adapter such as OBDLinkLX. It would also help if you could acquire a copy of the Service Manual - I downloaded a copy several years ago from LX Forums.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your suggestions.

No, I can not get it started now. The engine turns and sometimes it just about stutters into life, but sounds very rough and cuts out a few seconds later. I didn't actually clear the codes when I limped back home at the weekend. But the next day I checked for codes again and none were found on the scanner, which seems odd (I have a Torque Bluetooth OBD2 Car diagnostic Scanner Tool Reader ES360, it didn't cost much so I guess it may not be that great).

My car definitely doesn't like sitting around not being used. It seems a lot happier when in regular use. My parking brake has also been troublesome since I bought the car a couple of years ago. It has never worked well and this year it failed the MOT because of it. Decided to let my local garage sort it out and works superbly now....I must remember to keep using it!

Unfortunately my breakdown cover does not include home cover.

Think I may just have to go for the most likely problem, which seems to be the EGR Valve. I will see if I can get it off and clean it first.

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,569 Posts
Have you checked:
1. the fuel pipes down the sides of the engine to the filter - I'm thinking fuel issues
2. the wiring loom that crosses the top of the engine where it goes across the aircon pipe. I'm thinking electrical issues

Just an idea

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a quick update. I disconnected the electrical plug on the EGR and tried to start the car and it started ok. I connected it up again and tried to start the car and it didn't start, so I thought this was a good indication the problem was with the EGR valve.
I managed to removed the EGR valve which wasn't as difficult as I had thought or read in previous posts, mine came 'unstuck' with only a small amount of encouragement. The EGR valve wasn't that dirty but still gave it a good clean with WD40, but noticed that the centre shaft was not moving, so worked on that with more WD40 until I could get it moving. Put everything back in the car and the engine started first time. I have taken it for a couple of short drives and everything seems fine.

I am guessing that at some point the centre shaft may get stuck again and I may have the same problems, but at least I know if I disconnect the electrical plug, the engine should run ok and the car will get me home!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just a quick update. I disconnected the electrical plug on the EGR and tried to start the car and it started ok. I connected it up again and tried to start the car and it didn't start, so I thought this was a good indication the problem was with the EGR valve.
I managed to removed the EGR valve which wasn't as difficult as I had thought or read in previous posts, mine came 'unstuck' with only a small amount of encouragement. The EGR valve wasn't that dirty but still gave it a good clean with WD40, but noticed that the centre shaft was not moving, so worked on that with more WD40 until I could get it moving. Put everything back in the car and the engine started first time. I have taken it for a couple of short drives and everything seems fine.

I am guessing that at some point the centre shaft may get stuck again and I may have the same problems, but at least I know if I disconnect the electrical plug, the engine should run ok and the car will get me home!
Very useful info! Hopefully, I will never need it!
Thanks for sharing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts