Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I did the key dance on my 2005 5.7 and the code that popped up is P0430 which as I understand it means that one cat converter seems to not be as efficient as it should.

I understand that this could be caused by a broken/clogged/etc cat or a failing O2 sensor. But could it be caused by my flex pipes that are getting pretty worn out too? Like, if there's an exhaust leak or something.

Anyway, I'd like to have your help/input on how to diagnose what the problem really is. Thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey folks, I did the key dance on my 2005 5.7 and the code that popped up is P0430 which as I understand it means that one cat converter seems to not be as efficient as it should.

I understand that this could be caused by a broken/clogged/etc cat or a failing O2 sensor. But could it be caused by my flex pipes that are getting pretty worn out too? Like, if there's an exhaust leak or something.

Anyway, I'd like to have your help/input on how to diagnose what the problem really is. Thanks!
Have the same issue with my 05 300C. I had a leak by the flex pipe witch then caused the 0430 code to pop up. U can try a cleaner & use higher grade gasoline. I've heard people taking the cats off & soaking them overnight with a cleaning solution. Hope u get it fixed!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yes, ANY exhaust leak, even pinhole size can cause this code. A good muffler shop should be able to fix it though, especially if the have the capability to smoke test the entire system. It's by far, the best way to check for exhaust leaks anywhere in the system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, ANY exhaust leak, even pinhole size can cause this code. A good muffler shop should be able to fix it though, especially if the have the capability to smoke test the entire system. It's by far, the best way to check for exhaust leaks anywhere in the system.
Getting flex pipes/cat converters fixed is pretty expansive though and I'd like to postpone for the moment it if possible. Do you know any way to diagnose the O2 sensor instead?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Getting flex pipes/cat converters fixed is pretty expansive though and I'd like to postpone for the moment it if possible. Do you know any way to diagnose the O2 sensor instead?
Sure, you can hook up a fairly high end diagnostic scanner and monitor their operation and fuel trims. You can also just replace the downstream O2 Sensor on the passenger side too. If you do it yourself, it'll only cost about $50, and on the LX's they're easy to change. One caution though, the P0430 DTC is telling you there is a problem. If it is not corrected sooner rather than later, you COULD end up having to replace the catalytic converter. That will be a lot more expensive than fixing the exhaust system. Just a heads up and something to consider.

Before I did anything, I'd do two things. First, I'd take it to a good, trustworthy muffler shop and have them check for leaks and perhaps give you an estimate if there are obvious problems ANYWHERE in the exhaust system, especially the affected (passenger) side.. If there are, they should be fixed BEFORE you go any further. If there are no leaks anywhere in the system, hook up a diagnostic scanner and monitor the operation of the O2's and see if the long and short term fuel trims are within tolerance....no more than about plus or minus 5% rich/lean.

Here's a thread I did on one of the Jeep forums when I had O2 problems with my 5.7 Jeep. This applies to our LX/LY vehicles too. Hope it helps enlighten you a little.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure, you can hook up a fairly high end diagnostic scanner and monitor their operation and fuel trims. You can also just replace the downstream O2 Sensor on the passenger side too. If you do it yourself, it'll only cost about $50, and on the LX's they're easy to change. One caution though, the P0430 DTC is telling you there is a problem. If it is not corrected sooner rather than later, you COULD end up having to replace the catalytic converter. That will be a lot more expensive than fixing the exhaust system. Just a heads up and something to consider.

Before I did anything, I'd do two things. First, I'd take it to a good, trustworthy muffler shop and have them check for leaks and perhaps give you an estimate if there are obvious problems ANYWHERE in the exhaust system, especially the affected (passenger) side.. If there are, they should be fixed BEFORE you go any further. If there are no leaks anywhere in the system, hook up a diagnostic scanner and monitor the operation of the O2's and see if the long and short term fuel trims are within tolerance....no more than about plus or minus 5% rich/lean.

Here's a thread I did on one of the Jeep forums when I had O2 problems with my 5.7 Jeep. This applies to our LX/LY vehicles too. Hope it helps enlighten you a little.

Thank you for that very clear response. I think I'll go to a muffler shop then, and get estimates and everything.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Let us know what all you find out.

·
Registered
620 Posts
All right. ....glad you got it fixed and it didn't cost too much.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The catalytic converter should be about the last thing to replace. Check for exhaust leaks, no matter how small. A good muffler shop should, with some certainly, be able to check the catalytic converter by checking exhaust pressure both before and after the cat. You can also use the heel of you hand and moderately hit the cat. and see if it rattles, indicating that the honeycomb is probably coming apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same code on my 2011 300 .. really haven't notice much of a difference while driving lately had this code come on last Saturday 6/20 . On the freeway I did see some rubber bouncing on the freeway and I felt it hit under my car not sure if this could of cause anything?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same code on my 2011 300 .. really haven't notice much of a difference while driving lately had this code come on last Saturday 6/20 . On the freeway I did see some rubber bouncing on the freeway and I felt it hit under my car not sure if this could of cause anything?
Maybe it knocked something loose? Like... maybe there's a gap that causes an exhaust leak now or the O2 sensor got damaged maybe?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If something hit under the vehicle, a complete check is necessary, especially if you're now getting a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) showing. I've seen street debris put big dents in cats. and mufflers, break wires, and cause all kinds of damage under there. You may not notice any difference driving but, if you're getting a P0430 DTC, you need to figure it out and get it fixed....see my Post No. 5 above.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts