Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

firstly - love the 300C and despite having a little history of issues, love my car !

however, despite this, in the last week the dreaded red lightning light has appeared on the dash for the ETC, not always on every trip, and not always at first when driving.

After three consecutive trips this caused the yellow engine management light to come on and i had to call out the RAC.

One of the symptoms was that whilst driving with the light flashing, at around 40mph sometimes it got a little sluggish with no power being available no matter how hard i pushed down on the pedal. If i slowed at lights or at the side of the road, i could then drive off as normal as the sluggish feeling and power loss would go away.

Upon inspection the RAC scanned the car and came up with fault P213C but were unaware of the cause as it was for two things - electronic throttle control and also EGR valve fault.

he has suggested i either had a dirty / sticky EGR valve which would be pretty cheap to get fixed at a garage OR i had a problem with the throttle assembly.

I have trawled the web but not seen any chat regarding the fault code and wondered if anyone had any experience with it at all. I seem to have the worst luck with cars but would really like to stick with my 300C.

On a final issue - i have noticed my headlamps have been flickering randomly when driving. This usually happens just after i have dropped down in gear, and is for both lights.
I had thought this would be a bulb or a ballast issue, but as both were flickering at the same time i thought this may not be the case.

On a totally unrelated issue i have also noted that the aircon now no longer blows out cold air and to get it to blow hot i have to turn temp gauges up to 23 (probably unrelated)

big pressure from wife to sell and move on - but have already invested in car with new mechatronic unit last year.

Many thanks in advance
Leon

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I think you may have misread the code,I don't think its p123c,maybe it's p1230,which is a throttle position error

Reactions: Leonbr

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did see the P213C come up on the display connected to the car, and it is also on the paperwork provided from the RAC.

when i googled it - "i got P213C Exhaust Gas Recirculation Throttle Control Circuit 'B' Low 3. " but know google is not the answer to everything.

I did have a fuel save chip connected to the CRD but he asked me to disconnect this and this gave a temp fault of P0193 - but was cleared once the the cables connected back to spec.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
A P213C code is possible code on the diesel. "EGR Airflow throttle control Circuit B Low"

This fault relates to the EGR Airflow unit at the front Left of the engine (When facing engine with the Bonnet up"). Not specifically the EGR Valve itself. (The EGR valve is at the Rear RH of engine)

It will come up if the system detects a short to earth on the EGR Airflow Control Valve motor or poss other faults on the Air Flow motor itself.

I would check for the "old favourite" first which is the possibility of insulation rubbing through on the wiring (Particularly at the rear RH side of the engine where the cable loom runs below the Air Con Pipes. Twist the wires around and check for signs of rubbing.

Other than that you need to check the 6 pin plug at the front left of the engine and check the motor windings for problems/sensible resistance readings.

No need to strip or change the EGR valve itself at the moment.

See drawing attached

Jack

Attachments

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Further to the above. If you cant find any rubbed wiring after a good look around.

1) Check the motor/actuator itself by unplugging the 6 pin plug and checking the resistance of PIN 1 to chassis. Should be a high resistance/open circuit. Check the resistance of the motor windings across pins 1 & 4. I don't know the reading to expect on this but I would estimate a reading of between 2,000 ohms (2K) and 10,000ohms (10K) as acceptable.

If the above checks OK continue below

2) Check the wiring for faults between the Air Flow Motor and the ECM. Unplug the same 6 pin plug and check the resistance from Pin 1 on the wired part of the plug to chassis. (Should be quite a high resistance or open circuit I think, but not certain. To check properly would really need to unplug the ECM for this check). Secondly check the resistance between Pin 1 and 4 on the wired part of the plug and should again be quite a high resistance. At a guess both readings higher than 10,000 ohms (10K).

Jack

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers jack

Currently raining up here in merseyside, but have just downloaded a picture of the airflow unit so I can locate and check the wires when I get chance.

Can strip down a camera but at a loss when it comes to cars - so appreciate the help

Thanks for the replies - will update once I have had a look

Cheers
Leon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts