Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's the quality of your paint?? I'm not too happy with mine, to be honest. I really really like the car - but am disappointed with the quality of the paint job. There are two pieces of "dirt" in the paint - little "bumps" that are about half the size of the head of a pin - one on the rear pillar on the driver's side, and another on the top, near the centerline, back toward the rear window.

I took a picture that shows the overall quality of the finish. There is orange peel all over the finish, and what I've heard called "FLA" in the hood and top. ("FLA" is a reference to the texture of an overweight woman's posterior.) To see the orange peel, you have to view the image "full sized", rather than shrunk down like some browsers do... The file is about 500K in size.

The second pic of the dark car is what a world-class paint job looks like. IMO, if Chrysler wants to try to complete with the high-end European and Japanese luxury performance sedan segment, they've gotta step up to the plate with regard to the single most important factor in the emotional impact of the car...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine does not have that orange peel look. It looks like there was to much heat during the drying process. I would try to get Chrysler to repaint your car. I think the quality of the paint on mine is about the same as the BMW I traded in for the C.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't have OP, but have noticed 2 very small areas in the paint on mine where it appears there is an imperfection. IMO you can look at it 2 ways. 1st is character. 2nd is low paint quality. Was I a little upset when I found them for the first time? YES!
**My daughter (12) today says to me in the grocery store parking lot.
Why do people everywhere we go stare at your car??
Suddenly, the 2 paint imperfections in it became character....

I looked at both pictures - how much was the BMW? As far as "competing" with the high-end Euro and Japanese luxury performance cars, what are you considering high-end? The guy driving the BMW won't be able to see your paint anyway....you'll be out of focus and all he'll see is little red lights.

There are some sacrifices in materials with the 300 - thus the price point...it's one hell of a car for the money though! (I know you agree as you drive one too!).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pd171 said:
I would try to get Chrysler to repaint your car.
Thanks for the replies, guys.

As for repainting, I'm reluctant, actually. The concern I have is with the quality of the non-factory paint job, since it can't be cured like it is at the factory. But maybe I should pursue it, I dunno. I've heard white paints are the hardest paints around, so maybe that offsets somewhat the benefit of the factory baking...

Prolly, they'd just need to wetsand and re-clear. Orange peel in an of itself isn't a terrible thing - it just has to be removed with wetsanding, and then you can have a truly terrific looking paintjob!

I'm just curious what you all have received - if my paint is really sub-par for the car... (Knowing that will help in addressing the issue, if I choose to do so...)

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you think your's is a prob, rather than the dealer, try and take it to reputable body shop, stop by there and ask their opinion - especially if you know someone there. I know quite a few, and when they do it for a living, they will tell you whether you have a prob or not.
Good luck! I hope you love your C as much as I do.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm wondering are there specific colors that have the OP? I have a BB C and yes it does have a couple of small imperfections ( little white dots ) in the pant but overall I think the paint quality is great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My buddy owns a paint shop... This winter i am having it repainted w/ a bit more class to the Vanilla that is already there... Wet sanded and buffed will make it look a whole lot nicer... I'll post pics of my new scheme soon...

·
Registered
528 Posts
CottyGee said:
IMO, if Chrysler wants to try to complete with the high-end European and Japanese luxury performance sedan segment, they've gotta step up to the plate with regard to the single most important factor in the emotional impact of the car...
Look pal, the single most important factor in the emotional impact of the car is the ENGINE!
That "world-class paint job" comes with a pretty high price - NO PERFORMANCE!
What are you, some kinda shill for the competition (who really must be worried sending guys like you out on the Internet UNARMED)?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Maybe it's my eyes, but I can't see anything wrong in your picture. Sure, if you have little specks of dirt, that sucks. You have to make a decision whether to just live with it, or risk the chance that it will look worse after the dealer messes wiith it. I had some paint imperfections with my Liberty, and the dealer was able to wet sand it and it looked perfect afterwards.

As for me, I have the Cool Vanilla, and I must say, paint wise, this is the best quality job I have seen on any of my new vehicle purchases.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have the Cool Vanilla and I love the high glossy shine on mine. Looking at the pics you compared you must keep in mind black always looks glossier. BTW I have seen on this forum light and dark colored C's that have used different waxes and when done the paint looks like glass. Just my 2cents.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
comparing a pristinely prepared Black paint is useless against white. Black is the most reflective color and white is not. I have a perfectly maintained Brilliant Silver E55 and my Black Magnum outshines it because it is well... Black. Our Cool Vanilla 300C does not outshine the Black Magnum either. White is not a relective color.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
I can see some OP in your photos but IMO it's best to leave it alone unless the defects begin to break down the paint, only because what you have now is 'known' but you never know what you might get.:eek:

BTW, I don't think Chrysler was trying to "compete" with BMW at all, I think they were trying to create their own little niche.... and did so quite nicely!! My Hubby traded his 2000 740is so that I could have my 300C and not have to trade in my Vette. There IS no competition IMO: the paint on that "luxury performance sedan" was iffy as was the space, ride, etc. My C is roomier, plusher, performs better and doesn't sound like it's powered by "rubberband" doing so, it has style and doesn't look like every other car out there AND it has real cupholders!

Good luck with your paint issues, let us know how you handle it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man, there are some folks here that get themselves pretty wound up over all this. I'm called a shill, and told my comparison isn't valid, blah, blah, blah. Oh - and not to forget the nice comment insinuating I somehow am lacking intelligence. :mad:

Please forgive my use of generalities. Clearly it is possible slice a "targeted market" very finely. However, on a global scale, Chrysler is obviously trying to compete with the higher-end. The quality of the finish on my car is medicore at best in my opinion, falling short of the mark for an "upscale" car. My Cadillac STS has a vastly superior finish. Heck, my Ford Taurus had a better finish! As did my Dodge Dakota and my Chevy Lumina Z34... My point is that the finish on my car does not meet my expectations.

And speaking of finish... Clearly dark paint is more reflective. But that's not the point. The point is the quality of the finish. I posted the link to the second picture to depect perfection in paint finish - solely for the purpose of providing a point of reference regarding the finish of the paint on my car. That car just happens to be dark paint and just happens to be a BMW.

So my question remains - how does the quality of the finish of your 300 compare to the finish on mine? If 99% of the 300s have a better finish than mine, I've probably got room to get something done. But if it's more like 1 in 5, then it'll be much more difficult...

So, how's your paint??

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh - one other point...

The car was professionally detailed and an acrylic sealant applied in a two-step process. This was when the car was 2 weeks old. A week following the application of the sealant, I applied a coat of P21S wax.

No amount of wax, clay, sealant, or any other surface treatment will rectify the underlying problem in the color coat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cotty,

I here ya. When I clayed my car I found 3 specks of painted over grit. I was thinking "how does this happen". Don't they clean the surfaces before they paint. Don't they have a dust free booth. Don't they have quality inspectors. Apparently not.

I've got some OP as well. Not where you've shown it but on the side on the trunk lid with the emblem.

I don't think your going get the quality of the foreign manufacturers. I think we would like to believe it should be as good as other domestics, but is it? You'd think that they would have enough experience with paint after producing cars for 70 some years that it would be one of the highlights.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HEMEEE said:
Not getting worked up... just responding...
I'd agree that you didn't get worked up. But others appear to have done so.

GreenMachine said:
I don't think your going get the quality of the foreign manufacturers. I think we would like to believe it should be as good as other domestics.
Kind of exactly the point I was making... Foreign or domestic - doesn't matter - a $40,000 car should have a first class paint job, end of story.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.