Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted before about a scratch in my car (when I bought it) that the dealership agreed to fix and paint. It ended up getting resolved after a slight problem with the workmanship and I thought everything was over. Now that the weather is getting better (sunny, warm) and I've been washing the car I've noticed that the color is still off. Is Silver Steel that hard to match? Even for the dealership (that I haven't been to since I bought the car and won't ever go back to)? What do the knowledgeable recommend?

Pic 1 shows the DS after a wash (glossy, matching) and what the PS door should look like. Pic 2 shows the PS on the same day. Note the area above the molding on the front door, which is where the repair and re-painting was done. Pic 3 is the PS today (unwashed :pat:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now I just, and I mean just noticed that I have two different side badges. I read the poll about having one or the other but not both. I bought the car new which should mean any damage that occured prior to my purchase should be reported but I hope that isn't the case (the damage). I have such bad luck with cars I swear.:cussing: :mad: :angryfire

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Now that's a bugger right there... two difference front quarter badges. Make one think maybe something else was going on...

Is the difference you notice in the paint the clarity of the shine and reflection or an actual difference in the paint's hue? From your pictures it almost looks to me like it's a shine/reflection thing vs. a color thing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey GTL. It's definitely color. The top if the door isn't as rich or shiny as the rest of the car. If you look at pic 2, the door rear door and bottom of the front door match each other (and the driver's side) in glossiness. I know the 3rd pic doesn't really help because the dirt masks the issue sorta. It's kinda my fault because I had them fix the scratch. Everything matched perfectly prior to the repair. Oh, and I checked underhood and both fenders look identical (i.e. the fender bolts look untouched, paint matches, etc.) so I think and hope I just got whatever was in the parts bin.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
You can clearly see in your second pic what your talking about, thats not right.
The 3rd pic makes the whole passenger door look like a different color all together.

On the Dull look I bet they didn't sand the clear before they buffed it.
I'd find out the district managers name and take it to another dealer and have him look at it. They should have seen that winter or summer.

·
Banned
775 Posts
I Know If You Take It Back To The Dealer They Have To Fix It " If The Dealer Did The Job " Also The 2 Different Badges, What Was Really Going On? I Would Go To The Dealer And Show Them And Have Them Re Do It.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm a prepper/painter at a car dealership where i live and i can tell you a few things.

1. they didn't blend the doors or fender, with silver hell with any color its almost a absolute must to even come close, we've had the same problems with silver cars just tryin to do one door we redid them before they ever left to make it right.

2. clear has UV additives in it which yellows colors a bit especially silver making them not match.

3. The bottom of the door looks to have dye backed almost dry sprayed not heavy enough clear which looks rough and feels rougher.

Looks like they just let this one go, the people who did it should do it again for free, blend the doors for sure possibly the fender. Most painters wouldn't allow this to go, manager should DEFENITELY not should not of let it go out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts