Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paint scratches, polish, and wax

Anyone know of a better wax than Zaino? I plan on using this on my C after an initial wash with original blue Dawn using only 100% cotton Cannon white towels (not from a discount store), I will clay the entire car and then Zaino. These guys are out of New Jersey and have an incredible wax system and procedure for washing your car to avoid scratches. I used this on my Velocity Red RX8 and the shine is so deep it looks 3D. I spoke with one of the Zaino brothers when I bought my system who was very helpful(and sounded a lot like Tony Soprano). for info www.zainobros.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had great results from a product called Buffalo Milke

http://www.buffalomilke.com/

The product is extremely easy to use, (definitely get the Egyptian Cotton clothes they recommend), and delivers an incredible result. I learned about the product on the Internet Mopar Club mailing list, and have used it on all my cars with excellent results.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Where is the Zaino Wax for protection? All I see listed is "polish" - polish is for shine and no protection?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check my kit at home, I don't have that black bottle in your photo. Zaino is a polymer, not carnuba or beeswax based. I'm not so sure a polymer offers no protection, in fact some say it's better than "wax". This stuff is made in NJ, if it will protect cars there it will protect anywhere :D . I've been on several forums where folks have far more experience than my one year of Zaino who swear by it (when you like something, who does'nt swear by it). I am going to check out Buffalo mike, also prior to wax or polish clay is a must to remove all grime.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been using Zaino for 5 years. Best stuff I've used. Easy as heck too.
I've already got 2 coats of Z2 on with the ZFX :cool: One of these days
I'll take pictures after it's been 'zaino-ed'. Only ones I have are when I first
brought the car home.
When I clayed the car, there was absolutely nothing on the finish. No rail dust, tar, nothing. They did a fantastic job at the dealer. I didn't even need to clay :eek:
I use the Maguiers line on my wife's van and that seems to work really well too, but the problem with carnuba wax is that it will leave a yellow haze on the finish after time. It eventually gets pretty noticeable on white.
I've heard good things about tropi-care as well. I see they're a sponsor at another site I visit. Seems to be along the lines of Zaino.
Oh yeah, I've never had a problem with acid rain spots, or anything with Zaino. And bugs and tar and other road grime wipes off with really no effort at all. No I don't work for Sal. ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
Anyone know of a better wax than Zaino? I plan on using this on my C after an initial wash with original blue Dawn using only 100% cotton Cannon white towels (not from a discount store), I will clay the entire car and then Zaino. [/url]
What is clay used for? Benefits of use? This is the first I ever heard of anything like this along with the waxing of a car. Explain application procedures. Before wax is applied. When you say "clay the entire car," I have no idea what you are talking about. :confused:

Thanks,

StCassel

·
Registered
76 Posts
Clay is used to remove any airborne contaminants from the finish,ie. rail dust from the train, tree sap, tar, bug guts, etc. Mine was actually perfectly fine from the dealer, but I've had cars/trucks in the past that you could feel the contaminants on the surface. Especially on the hood, roof, trunk.
Cars painted from the factory most likely have been painted a month or or more before you receive it.
Most paints nowadays don't really require a cure time of more than 2 days before you can wax/polish it(this is for refinish jobs).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Clay will pick up all the little contaminants still stuck in the paint after you wash it. If you rub your hand over the car it will most likely not be perfectly smooth. A clay bar used after washing once in a while will take care of this. You'll be amazed at how dirty the paint still is after you wash it. Meguiars, Zaino and Magic Clay make a clay bar. Its just a rectangle of clay and a bottle of lube. You spray the lube on the car and rub the clay over the paint until its smooth. The clay will get dirty, so you just fold it over. Its great stuff...

I've finally found the best combination for me as far as detailing. I've used a ton of products, including zaino. What I use now is Klasse All-in-one, followed by Klasse Hi Gloss sealant glaze. You then wait 24 hours and then apply P21S carnauba wax. WOW! It will look amazing. The Klasse cleans and then protects the car for 6 months, and the P21s will give it an amazing shine. Very easy to use as well.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
E55 KEV said:
Where is the Zaino Wax for protection? All I see listed is "polish" - polish is for shine and no protection?
So Again! What is Zaino? Is it a coating that does not require a wax for protection.

Anyone every use Liquid Glass? This product is a coating. I need something that helps prevent acid rain etching and bird doo-doo!

·
Registered
76 Posts
E55 KEV said:
So Again! What is Zaino? Is it a coating that does not require a wax for protection.

Anyone every use Liquid Glass? This product is a coating. I need something that helps prevent acid rain etching and bird doo-doo!

Sssshhhh!! We don't question Zaino, we just use it! :D
You don't need to use a wax as the Z2 and Z5 do more than enough to protect the finish from contaminants. I've used Zaino on 4(now 5 with the 300C) cars since 99 and never had a problem with acid rain spots, bird poop, or anything else. Also, tar spots wipe off with ease.
I don't know if this is a testiment to it's protecting the paint or not, but when I had my truck, I bought those ventvisors. They say to use an alcohol swab pad to remove any wax to get the tape to adhere to the paint surface. I did that, and the things still would not stick to the paint. I had to wash that part down with some dawn and then the alcohol pads to get them to stick on.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ditto on the clay fellas, whatever wax or polish (Zaino has various hardners Z2 etc) you decide to use CLAY IS A MUST. All those swirls are from microscopic grime you thought you removed ground into the finish. Follow the instructions it is amazing how much "stuff" is left finish after you wash. Whatever product you use proper cleaning is essential, Zainos website has excellent tips and tricks. I have heard excellent things about Klasse products also. Stay away from polyester towels, 100% USA cotton Cannon or Fieldcrest from a Macy's or Marshall Field's type store, Not K-Mart or Wal-Mart (I love Wal-Mart for Mobil 1) they apparently have a different quality Cannon towel (may be urban legend perpetuated on sites like this). c'mon, you just spent 35K on your car it won't kill you to pay $12.00 for a towel. :D

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Zaino says YES. I agree. My first experience with clay was when I got the RX8 last year. My neighbor (an S2000 nut, installing his own Amsoil bypass filters and prelube!)told me about clay and zaino. I clayed the brand new RX8 after a thorough wash with original blue Dawn (which degreases and removes residue from the transport protection) and was amazed at the grme still on the car which would have been Zainoed (or Zymoled, Klassed etc) right into the clearcoat/paint. :mad:

·
Registered
76 Posts
E55 KEV said:
would a brand new car need to be clayed before using Zaino?
Absolutely. Most cars are transported by train to the various cities and are all subjected rail dust. What rail dust is, is tiny metal shavings from teh brakes of the rail cars. VERY detrimental to a perfect, swirl free finish.
The clay bar actually lifts these shavings off of the finish and on to the clay bar. This is also why it is essential to frequently turn and knead(sp) the claybar.
It sounds kinda difficult, but in the long run, it is really worth it.
Another added bonus of Zaino is the stuff just smells soooo good. :D
Another thing you can do(whether you use Zaino or any other polish), is to apply with straight forward and back motions, like go from the front of the hood to the windshield, top panel of the door to the bottom. No circular motions. Circular motions will almost guarantee swirls. When I traded in my almost 3 yo truck, it had not one hint of swirl mark, or visible scratches. And it was dark charcoal gray.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes yes yes, kneeding and folding the clay is essential which should be in the instructions of any clay product. It is also important that the finish is kept wet as you clay. It seems daunting but it is well worth it. It took about 3.5 hours (some folks plan on a full day) to completely wash, clay and Zaino the RX8. With more sheet metal and no sunroof I imagine the C will take a full morning. Start about 7:30 on a Saturday and be finished by lunch. :D

1 - 20 of 82 Posts