Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting 20 TSW Thruxton's... hyper black..... Does anyone have any advise on if I should paint my calipers & what color?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
patience

Nolmscheid said:
Man...did you ask this question in three different places? patience young man!
yeah, your right..... hard not to get caught up in it all....but my realization is get the wheels put on first....and then digest it for a while...then i'll make a decision from there when the time is right... but any input is appreciated....

·
Registered
323 Posts
wassup man, I have painted my calipers and love it. It is very easy because all you have to do is clean the caliper with an oven cleaner or something of that nature, tape up and spray light coats. i chose to go with racing red because it really stands out, and that is the color that most of the big brake companies go with(brembo). That color will work well with the bleck rims. although, I have a buddy where i am from that has a set of 22" black hre's on his bmw 745 and has the silver brembo brakes, and it looks awesome. IMO, i would stick with red, i think that you will be impressed.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Cosmetics aside.

The best colour (sp. Can.) for calipers is matte black. The reason is that matte black radiates heat away from it's surface the best. This keeps the brake fluid further away from boiling - a very bad thing.

This is also why your coolant rad. is black.

Dark red is almost as good, white is poor and chrome is the worst.

Still your decision though.

John

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
goddardzilla said:
Cosmetics aside.

The best colour (sp. Can.) for calipers is matte black. The reason is that matte black radiates heat away from it's surface the best. This keeps the brake fluid further away from boiling - a very bad thing.

This is also why your coolant rad. is black.

Dark red is almost as good, white is poor and chrome is the worst.

Still your decision though.

John
Boiling fluid aside, matte black would be pretty ugly, I would rather leave them stock. If one is on the track and fluid is going to boil I don't think it will matter what color the calipers are especially if the rotors are glowing red. On the street, color and heat dissipation may have a very slight effect if towing a trailer in the mountains.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Originally posted by II kings 9:20
Boiling fluid aside, matte black would be pretty ugly, I would rather leave them stock. If one is on the track and fluid is going to boil I don't think it will matter what color the calipers are especially if the rotors are glowing red. On the street, color and heat dissipation may have a very slight effect if towing a trailer in the mountains.
I did say "cosmetics aside" in my post.

Efficiency is efficiency no matter how it looks.

I hope you havn't chromed your rad! :eek:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
caliper color

II kings 9:20 said:
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do gloss black..... won't show dirt as much, also...and I guess the most important reason is that I'm going for a black look...not too much chrome (anywhere on the car) --- B L A C K .... yeah...i think that's it...but going to wait another week or so to think about it further....

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I think gloss black :cool: (or any gloss) would look delicious, of course what really matters is what the owner thinks not anyone else when it comes to subjective cosmetic things as this, now if we were talking about putting 20w50 in our Hemi then there would be a right and wrong to discuss.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's decided

II kings 9:20 said:
I think gloss black :cool: (or any gloss) would look delicious, of course what really matters is what the owner thinks not anyone else when it comes to subjective cosmetic things as this, now if we were talking about putting 20w50 in our Hemi then there would be a right and wrong to discuss.
After much thought and careful consideration, I have decided to paint my calipers gloss black... i'm going for that black look.... windows, not much chrome, hyper black wheels, and I expect to have my tailights back from Jon very soon...
http://www.jonstintedtails.com/index.htm
I'm not sure how they will turn out... but my car w/my new TSW Thruxton wheels .... i think gloss back is my best bet (at worst i can also re-paint them!!!)

Sorry for the not-so-close picture of the before....but i'll post the after when completed...

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Cool

foodybat said:
After much thought and careful consideration, I have decided to paint my calipers gloss black.....
Glad to hear, I know it was a decision maker for you :) . It will look nice and don't forget the pics! :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
finally finished...

foodybat said:
After much thought and careful consideration, I have decided to paint my calipers gloss black... i'm going for that black look.... windows, not much chrome, hyper black wheels, and I expect to have my tailights back from Jon very soon...
http://www.jonstintedtails.com/index.htm
I'm not sure how they will turn out... but my car w/my new TSW Thruxton wheels .... i think gloss back is my best bet (at worst i can also re-paint them!!!)

Sorry for the not-so-close picture of the before....but i'll post the after when completed...

Gloss black, as per my plan.... came out pretty good I think.... :p

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
DYI (painted calipers)

Painted Calipers add a nice touch IMHO :) , below is how I did mine.

1. Remove the tire.
2. Clean the caliper, with some type of degreaser to make sure there isn't any brake fluid on the caliper or you can use oven cleaner as suggested by Rollin on Dueces.
3. Let caliper completely dry.
4. Mask off the rotor with tape and I used a drop cloth for the outer wheel well area to avoid overspray onto the quarter panels.
5. Spray the caliper lightly with a few coats, let dry put the tire back on. (I had paint put into an aerosol spray can from my local paint store), there is also others that sell caliper paint kits.
6. Follow steps 1 thru 5, for the next 3 tires.

The hardest thing is jacking up the car to remove each tire:), with that said it's actually a simply mod that will look nice once your Done!! Good Luck and hope this helps for any who's thinking about painting their caliper.

Below is a pic of my finish project! My calipers have been painted now for about 6 months and are holding up very well no chipping or problems whatsoever, still looking they did after I painted them which is great since I painted them CV to match car! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Thanks Gang.

I know what im doing as soon as i get my order from Paintmatch.

So FB did a kit and Angie you just had what knd of paint?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Gunmetal grey metallic or silver is my choice once it's warms up outside.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Scarbrs said:
Thanks Gang.

I know what im doing as soon as i get my order from Paintmatch.

So FB did a kit and Angie you just had what knd of paint?
Glad I could help. I used a matte finish paintmacth put in a spray can! (dries quick), and it looks the same as the 1st day I applied it. :) Very Nice!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.