Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

As the title states, the power shade the covers the panoramic sunroof in my 2013 300 S is broken. When attempting to close the shade completely, I would have to try 3 times to close it, as if it was hitting something. Well, the other day while closing it, I heard a POP and now only one side of the shade (driver's side) attempts to close. The fabric is loose on the passenger side and the shade doesn't move.

Has anybody run into this before? Pictures of the tracks below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p08k0asqzanf2iw/Photo-2018-07-30-15-23-05_4821.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/12vye9izff8yoaw/Photo-2018-07-30-15-23-05_4811.JPG?dl=0

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes, on our 2011. Sorry to say that the panoramic sunroof is a rattling, problematic POS option. Fixing that will require removing the headliner. You can price the repair at Chrysler and optionally take it to a GOOD sunroof shop. There is a plastic strip along the sides of the shade that run in a track. Either the strip has separated from the shade or it is out of the track. I'm told that once they pop out, they don't usually stay in for long. Apparently they stretch width-wise and come out again. I wish I could give you better news. Maybe someone knows something different, but that's my experience.

Postscript... re-read your post.... could also be your mechanism if the shade itself is still in the track.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealership charged me $125 to tell me it’s a broken track and it will cost...

$3,500 to fix! Wow!

They want to replace the shade, the track mechanism, basically everything. Time to starting thinking about brands other than Chrysler.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Dealership charged me $125 to tell me it’s a broken track and it will cost...

$3,500 to fix! Wow!

They want to replace the shade, the track mechanism, basically everything. Time to starting thinking about brands other than Chrysler.
$3500?? wtf??

·
Registered
154 Posts
First thing to do IMHO, is to try another dealer and if not satisfied, go to some reputable sunroof shops and see what they have to say.

You have nothing to lose. That particular dealer isn't prepared to service something that might actually be serviceable and instead wants to do a swap, which I don't think is the right approach unless you just won lotto.

Keep in mind that if they need to get into the mechanism, there is some labor in taking down the headliner and putting it back in.

Don't give up just yet. It's only a mechanism and I'm sure there are parts out there for it, or perhaps what happened can be corrected without parts.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear this (coincidentally I have the same S-model/year). SO annoying, and that queote does seem exorbitant to say the least. While I can't help you I'm going to have to go on chanting my usual mantra for others: Lifetime warranty (w/$100 deductible), Lifetime warranty (w/$100 deductible), Lifetime warranty (w/$100 deductible).... I paid about $2,100 for mine and that would've recouped the cost right there.

Preaching aside, best of luck with this; I'm sure you'll be able to settle on some acceptable resolution (i.e., third-party shop, etc.).

·
Registered
73 Posts
+1 if you plan on keeping one of these LT, then yep... could not agree more. I just called last week and added 5yrs & 60K w/$100 per occurrence to mine which will more than cover me till I'm ready for next car. BTW, they even offer zero % and payments if you need/want to go that route.

·
Registered
10 Posts
$3500?? wtf??
I HAD MY 2015 300 LUXURY REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY..DO DO THIS JOB IN AUSTRALIA COST IS $7000 AUD..FOR SOME REASON LIST/QUOTE ON SHADE WAS $2500 AUD..ALSO HAD THE DASH REPLACED WITH NEW LEATHER..$9000 AUD.. SO I KEEP THE SHADE IN AUTUMN -WINTER- SPRING FULLY OPEN..DASH HAS QUALITY COVER.. HERE IS ONE THING I DID NOTICE..IF SHADE IS EITHER FULLY/HALF OPEN AND YOU HAVE WINDOW/S WOUND DOWN THE SHADE TAKES A BEATING BY FLAPPING OF WIND PRESSURE..CHEERS

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts