Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP
Suddenly my alarm went off
Dash display was lit up when I got into the car and the heater was running with no key in the ignition.
Started car but then it stopped
Fuel gauge not working
Heated seat lights on and won't turn off
Turn key off and remove but dash stays lit
What's going on?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Stupid question I know but has it been standing in heavy rain ( who's car hasn't in the last 2 months ). Had a similar problem in my previous ride a Vauxhall Signum 3.0 CRD, rain water got in through the pollen filter and soaked all the electrics in the passenger foot well. Only way I could stop heater and an array of lights was to take out the fuses and put an oil fired heater in the car. Pain in the rear end as I could not drive the car for a week. It turned out that there was a small drain hole in gutter under bonnet which was blocked.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Oohwer that don't sound good. You could try disconnecting the HID translator module (located near the washer bottle filler), I know they can cause loads of strange going ons but never heard of the problem your describing (worth a try though).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and I will try when it stops raining.
Just tried it again and lights operate of Their own accord only.
Panel and panel lights not working at all.
Drivers heated seat perm on and passengers not working.
A very weird situation:wtf:

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I recently had a problem with the reading lights and puddle lights not turning off after a journey in heavy rain and surface water. Another member had a similar problem with wipers. I suspected water ingress in the Front Control Module (FCM), located just behind the windscreen washer filler. The FCM controls many functions associated with lights (including functions linked to Remote Keyless Entry), wipers, A/C, heated seats and many other items. The problems had disappeared the next day. See this link:http://www.300cforums.com/forums/uk-europe-regional-forum/152042-windscreen-wipers-wont-turn-off.html#post1685682

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently had a problem with the reading lights and puddle lights not turning off after a journey in heavy rain and surface water. Another member had a similar problem with wipers. I suspected water ingress in the Front Control Module (FCM), located just behind the windscreen washer filler. The FCM controls many functions associated with lights (including functions linked to Remote Keyless Entry), wipers, A/C, heated seats and many other items. The problems had disappeared the next day. See this link:http://www.300cforums.com/forums/uk-europe-regional-forum/152042-windscreen-wipers-wont-turn-off.html#post1685682
Many thanks
I reckon that it is water ingress because it was last used in very heavy rain and then parked up for 4 days. Waiting for a dry day to try and sort out and will reply with progress

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I had the lights problem after traversing the M3 in heavy rain and splashing through some fairly deep surface water which had taken me by surprise. It appears that later 300C models have a different design of FCM in black plastic, rather than metal and with tidier looking cabling coming out of the bottom. I don't know whether there's much you can do, other than wait for the drying out of whatever is causing the problem. The TCM contains a number of solid-state control modules which switch components on or off depending on whether inputs are connected to ground or +12V. I would imagine that very small currents are involved in these operations, so even a single drop of water might be sufficient to close a circuit.

·
Registered
840 Posts
glad my C is garaged every winter !
Most VW/Audi cars suffer from the drain holes in the scuttle blocking and flooding the cars foot wells. then if left, the ecu box under the front seats gets upset and throws a wobbly. Can result in big expenditure...
So check the carpets for wet as well as getting fcm dried out. WD40 type spray should help.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Most VW/Audi cars suffer from the drain holes in the scuttle blocking and flooding the cars foot wells.
And don't I know it! One of the offending drain holes on my A4 is under the battery tray and both battery and tray have to be removed for access. Fortunately, the ECU is located in the engine compartment.

Does anyone know where the drain holes are located in the CRD?

·
Registered
773 Posts
glad my C is garaged every winter !
Most VW/Audi cars suffer from the drain holes in the scuttle blocking and flooding the cars foot wells. then if left, the ecu box under the front seats gets upset and throws a wobbly. Can result in big expenditure...
So check the carpets for wet as well as getting fcm dried out. WD40 type spray should help.
The last Audi I owned had all the door skins replaced due to corrosion...

·
Registered
448 Posts
And don't I know it! One of the offending drain holes on my A4 is under the battery tray and both battery and tray have to be removed for access. Fortunately, the ECU is located in the engine compartment.

Does anyone know where the drain holes are located in the CRD?
Not sure where the drain holes are in our 300Cs, but I'm familiar with where they are in Audi A4 B6 / B7s!

If it is a B6 / B7 don't bother removing the battery and tray, just pull out one of the large wiring grommets in the bottom of the battery / wiper compartment to allow the area to drain, and leave it out. Interesting design fault, water stays in the compartment and builds up, working its way steadily up the outside of the brake servo until that eventually rusts through, luckily sorted mine soon after buying it, allegedly had a full Audi history, but that compartment was still half full of water.

Some Passats of the same era allegedly had similar issues, probably worst in these parts of the world given the amount of rain.

Anyway, I hope you got your issues sorted in the end RB64.

·
Registered
840 Posts
My sis has had a Passat & two A6 estates, & they have all flooded the footwells! Never saw any signs of rust though to be fair. The ingress was through grommets in the bulkhead. I cleaned out the drains & they were never a problem again, She doesn't park under trees etc!
After a week with a dehumidifier inside they were all fine.

Didn't enjoy changing the drivers side headlight bulb for her though, on the A6 2007> the air filter box/Maf/and more all needs removing...

The previous A6 was nearly ten yrs old & there was no signs of rust anywhere. Good cars imo.

David; Maybe careless previous owners had scraped the door bottoms onto kerbs, scratched the paint off = rust!

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Not sure where the drain holes are in our 300Cs, but I'm familiar with where they are in Audi A4 B6 / B7s!

If it is a B6 / B7 don't bother removing the battery and tray, just pull out one of the large wiring grommets in the bottom of the battery / wiper compartment to allow the area to drain, and leave it out. Interesting design fault, water stays in the compartment and builds up, working its way steadily up the outside of the brake servo until that eventually rusts through, luckily sorted mine soon after buying it, allegedly had a full Audi history, but that compartment was still half full of water.
It's a B5 (MY97). Two rubber one-way valves removed, so no further problems. Unfortunately, no mention whatsoever is made of these drain holes in either Owner's or Workshop Manuals. I've not come across anything in the 300C documentation either. However, the 300C does seem to be better protected against ingress of debris below the windscreen.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Must be a common thing on most cars, because my old MG ZT did it and they were known for the drain holes blocking and soaking the ecu.

·
Registered
840 Posts
A main dealer will never do this job at a normal service. they just want to charge you hundreds for a job you can easily do yourself in 20 mins. In my experience they don't even do tyre pressure checks. I use an independent self employed guy. get a straight answer from him!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Don't fully understand where these holes are. Mine is a CRD.
This happened to a friend of mine recently in a Renault Megan. Took him ages to get it dry again with a heater...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts