Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Mine works really well, I have not tested with a bike or a small object, but I have used it to parallel park and to back into spaces. So far I think it works great...

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
I have had occasion to test mine on lots of objects - dogs, garage doors, snow banks, other vehicles.

Here's what I learned:

The visual part of the system shows amber lights and is sensitive to the left and right side of the car independently. It also shows more lights as you come closer to an object.

These lights are mounted at the top of the rear window and are visibile in your inside rear view mirror (if aimed properly). It is only effective at very slow speeds.

The audio part only alerts you when you are very close to an object. A red light flashes at the same time. If you are reversing too quickly, you will not be able to react in time to these signals.

So far, they've worked for me in every situation. I find the system very helpful for parallel parking.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with Northern Rider. You have to be paying attention and you have to be backing up slowly. The Red Indicator and the audio alert occur at the same time. However, the amber lamps have gone from one lamp to about 4 or 5 lamps as you get closer to an object on either or both sides of the rear of the car.

Our 2004 Acura MDX has the rear view camera for backing up and it is very helpful also, however, no additional warning except for the view in the camera lens.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I tested a child's bike and it missed. DO NOT DEPEND ON THIS TO KEEP YOU FROM HITTING A CHILD. It is "park assist". Great for bumpers and large objects. The rear camera is a great wide angle visual device for seeing children and anything behind and to the side rear of the car for several parking spaces wide. The camera is very poor for judging distance unlike the park assist. The view in the camera gives the illusion of things being very far away when in fact they are relatively very close. Park assist is great for parallel parking when inching ever closer to the bumper behind you without the usual tap.

·
Registered
127 Posts
II Kings hit it on the head talking about its Assist! However, I tired lots of small objects and it worked well. No childs bike, but my mountain biking laying down it picked it up. I plan to probably add a rear view camera...probably more for geek factor than anything. Neighbors 4 Runner had it and it was pretty cool.

·
Registered
127 Posts
arnoldw said:
Yes, I got a warning in the EVIC that park assist needed service. My sensors were covered with snow.
Not sure if I would consider that a failure. I think it was pretty smart to sense that you had something wrong with them!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Nolmscheid said:
II Kings hit it on the head talking about its Assist! However, I tired lots of small objects and it worked well. No childs bike, but my mountain biking laying down it picked it up. I plan to probably add a rear view camera...probably more for geek factor than anything. Neighbors 4 Runner had it and it was pretty cool.
Mine has also picked up some lawn toys and smaller objects but not reliably, when it picks them up, it works well but I would not depend on it to substitute KNOWING where your (or other) children are. Rear camera is cool and useful, where on the C would you put it and more importantly the monitor. In the NAV display would be perfect but I doubt possible. Hitchcam is great for cars with receiver hitches.

·
Registered
121 Posts
PARK ASSIST! Not save your butt from hitting anything! I'm sure that DC realized that it wasn't a "perfect" system so they named it very carefully. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I backed up and hit something this weekend that took a chunk of my bumper, it was bitter cold. I'm in Michigan by they way ;) I wonder if weather could have played an issue with the parking assist not going off

·
Registered
127 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
Mine has also picked up some lawn toys and smaller objects but not reliably, when it picks them up, it works well but I would not depend on it to substitute KNOWING where your (or other) children are. Rear camera is cool and useful, where on the C would you put it and more importantly the monitor. In the NAV display would be perfect but I doubt possible. Hitchcam is great for cars with receiver hitches.
Yeah, I plan to put the rear view camera in the nav screen. Very simply. First you have to send your head unit in and get it modded to get video input. What happens with the way they have it setup, if there is something going to that port, it overrides the nav screen. I plan to put DVD and such so its viewable there as well.

http://www.avelectronic.com/NavigationVid-Switcher.htm

They have a few pics of it in action with the C. It comes with a port for a rearview camera. It will switch when you are in reverse.

There are a few on the board who have had their screens modded in such a way. (not sure if they have this same video switcher...its pretty neat as if you put headrest monitors, you can select one of 4 inputs for any screen in your vehicle.

off for dinner

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also backed into a curb that just cleared my bumper but unfortunately did not clear my exhaust. I had to get both of them pulled forward again. :mad: :mad: The thing that made me mad was this park assist picks up small twigs from bushes that are not even directly in back of you but it did not pick up that curb. Pretty much messed my whole day up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts