Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At about 20,000 km I started having an intermittent problem where the Park Assist display would turn during normal highway driving. The the Park Assist would intermittently fail when in reverse and thenfailed completely.

The local dealer is having a major problem identifying the fault (says that the diagnostics are "haywire". He now wants it for three days to try and fix the fault -seems a bit over the top!

Now my son's 300c has now developed a simlar intermittent problem.

Any ideas or advice?

Denis in Wollongong

·
Registered
786 Posts
My park assist in the tourer, sometimes doesn't work. Stopped it, with the towbar into the plaster wall in garage!:pat:

Richard

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
At about 20,000 km I started having an intermittent problem where the Park Assist display would turn during normal highway driving. The the Park Assist would intermittently fail when in reverse and thenfailed completely.

He now wants it for three days to try and fix the fault -seems a bit over the top!

Denis in Wollongong
Your lucky Dennis, mine has a similar intermittent fault, not only does my park assist activate while I am driving forwards the CD player drops out and if the wiper is clicked on the first notch they clean my windscreen dry LOL

Good luck with the 3 days Dennis, I am a diesel fitter myself and my brother is a mechanic, he reckons there is 20+ modules that talk to each other via C-Bus in the 300c, they might never fix your fault unless the circuit fails totally, I have sort of given up on my fix, mine only plays up when it wants to, usally when I have friends in the car or I am on holidays LOL. I will more than likely just source another 12V accessory feed for my CD player to keep that dropping out and not to fussed on the rest.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hi Denis:
I had exactly the same problems. My dealer discovered that when they fitted the trailer plug, they stuffed up. It's not a conventional fitting procedure apparently.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Hi Denis, welcome to the forums.

Do you have a towbar? As Kelvin mentioned, they actually have a reed switch inside the trailor plug, which cuts earth to the module when the flap is lifted.
Sometimes these can play up & shut down the park assist module.

I will more than likely just source another 12V accessory feed for my CD player to keep that dropping out and not to fussed on the rest.
This would work if you have an aftermarket radio, but the factory unit receives constant power only. The 'ignition on' signal is sent via the Can B bus :pat:

Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
This would work if you have an aftermarket radio, but the factory unit receives constant power only. The 'ignition on' signal is sent via the Can B bus :pat:

Cheers
Phil
:pat: :pat: Glad I didn't waste my time, thanks Phil

One other fault I forgot to mention is that when it plays up, the radio, wipers and the park assist the indicator hesitates when it is flashing almost to a constant-on like the flasher can doesn't exist.

Seems like too many functions faulting to be just one module on a 300c, on a Commodore yes but the 300c no so I am thinking I have a C-Bus wiring fault, you haven't got a scan tool I could borrow for a few days so I can watch and see which ciruit is turning red that is giving me dramas :biggrin:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Mine plays up as well every so often. Generally locking the car and then unlocking seems to fix.
Had a warning display the other day to get the parking assist fixed, but has now gone away and all seems to be working OK

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hey Kelvin & Phil

Thanks for the heads up on the trailer plug reed switch.

I'm suffering the same intermittent park assist problem with Mopar towbar fitted. Park assist has been more off than on lately.
This week evic showing "service park assist" message a few times.

I noticed the earth wire from the park assist module was cut and spliced to another wire that disappeared into the trailer wiring loom.
your explanation makes sense. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
You haven't got a scan tool I could borrow for a few days so I can watch and see which ciruit is turning red that is giving me dramas :biggrin:
Haha you'll have to make a trip down to Melbourne :biggrin:
It could be just the front control module playing up, this is the main communication gateway & actually controls the indicators directly.
I've had a couple lately actually filled up water.. just after a full house detail at one of those car wash cafe's :scared: !!

Jaffa, not a problem mate. It's not the most ideal way to switch off the park assist when towing, but it does work.
Problem is trailor plugs are out in the weather & are prone to being damaged in general. I'd prefer a switch in the trunk, you're going to have it open when hitching a trailor anyway.

Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hello all

The magnetic reed switch function is a neat idea but poorly executed.
Reed switches are notorious for failure and are not designed to work exposed to the elements.
The problem is they usually go open circuit and can't be repaired. Replacement is the only fix.
Not so easy when it's moulded into the plastic connector??? :dead1:

Why have it when there is option to turn off park assist in evic? only takes a few seconds.
It takes time to hitch up a trailer. Does Chrysler think we so impatient that we need this feature.
It's been causing me more grief than happiness.

Should I have the dealer replace the connector and this fault will go away and never come back.
Don't think so - knowing reed switches track record :rolleyes:

An easy solution to the park assist problem - short out the reed switch.
May not suit everyones taste but it works for me.
Now park assist is working properly and no more "service park assist" messages in evic.

This is one happy chappy. Thanks DenisM for 1st posting :fing02:
Luv this forum.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Haha you'll have to make a trip down to Melbourne :biggrin:
It could be just the front control module playing up, this is the main communication gateway & actually controls the indicators directly.
I've had a couple lately actually filled up water.. just after a full house detail at one of those car wash cafe's :scared: !!
Cheers
Phil
Ahhh Melbourne, where the Greek language is English :biggrin:

Do you redeem fuel dockets for warranty work :biggrin:

Front module you reckon Phil, the logged faults mostly say "lost communication to front lights motor etc... can't remember the odd other 30 but they vary, I wouldn't imagine water is my drama being in a drought declared region :biggrin: but it plays up really when it feel likes it, say sometimes upon start up and say at 100km/h about 2 hrs into my holiday

Nice write up too Jaffa :fing02:

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Ahhh Melbourne, where the Greek language is English :biggrin:

Do you redeem fuel dockets for warranty work :biggrin:

Front module you reckon Phil, the logged faults mostly say "lost communication to front lights motor etc... can't remember the odd other 30 but they vary, I wouldn't imagine water is my drama being in a drought declared region :biggrin: but it plays up really when it feel likes it, say sometimes upon start up and say at 100km/h about 2 hrs into my holiday

Nice write up too Jaffa :fing02:
If you make the trip down, & shop at woolworths.. we'll knock 4cents an hour off the labour charge :fing02:

By that description, it might indeed be a wiring issue. A bit hard to speculate on these things without seeing the vehicle i'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
By that description, it might indeed be a wiring issue. A bit hard to speculate on these things without seeing the vehicle i'm afraid.
Yeah I think that also Phil and being in the trade myself too I know this one will be a hard one to crack, hopefully something open circuits permanently one day..........hopefully before my next holiday

·
Registered
31 Posts
You mate are an absolute bloody legend.

I have been chasing dead park sense system down for only 6 months :(

Found your posting and pics just now (after removing the rear bumper for the third time GGRR)

Didn't know about the bloody reed switch ...bridged it out and everything works like a charm.

Again my thanks

Dave

·
Registered
389 Posts
The reed switch is the most reliable type of contact switch and made of glass but if it’s bent or pushed in any way or even if the tails are pulled on it will break into two parts and stop to work which may be your problem, also check the magnet gap between the reed switch and the magnet could also be a problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts