Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Did I imagine this, or is it possible to get a galvanised parking brake actuator?

I am pretty sure mine is sticking again. Nearly failed it's MOT in March, so would like to replace once and for all.

Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You on about the piece in the rear shoe assembly? The part that the cable is attached too and controls the raise and fall of the shoe linings?

Usually often use, slight adjustment and a decent grease keeps them sweet!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that's the one.

I am afraid I can't do the work myself and having to rely on others (i.e. mechanics) doesn't seem to do the job. They say they have cleaned it and greased it, but it still ceases. And, I don't use the car very often, so there is more of a chance for it to cease up.

My next plan, is to ask a mate to take the part out (both sides), give them to me and I'll clean them up, dip them in rust remover and then spray paint with anti-rust paint. That should do the job...

·
Registered
211 Posts
As long as the paint doesn't rub against the inside of the mechanism...

They are a common problem and I've luckily only had to do mine once. They just appear to collect all the road gunk and store it inside trashing everything!

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Unfortunately it's a losing battle with them actuators......I've done loads,coppaslip helps but doesn't really cure forever

·
Registered
409 Posts
Mine has been a constant source of irritation since day 1, generally to release it I have to put in on and release about 3 it about cycles till the red light goes out::frown::
Stripping down and thoroughly scrubbing/cleaning the actuators with WD40 followed by the coppaslip treatment will completely eradicate your problem. Even when the light's gone out you're probably still driving against the pads, so it's not great for fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Mines been operating OK for 7 years from new without any form of lubricant or maintenance. Admittedly the car doesn't get used very often but I always apply the parking brake while its stood in the garage and it definitely fully releases. Also works very well when in operation. I couldn't possibly set off without releasing it.

Jack

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,768 Posts
They just appear to collect all the road gunk and store it inside trashing everything!
How does this gunk find its way into the drum? Is there a wide gap between drum and backplate? Could driving style be to blame; eg driving through flood water and/or muddy roads or maybe it's just surface water during rain? Perhaps it's mileage dependent and as I've only reached 38K it might be still early days. I can recall seeing a pic on this forum, sometime ago, of a drum which had problems and it looked as if the whole of the inside had been sprayed with a concrete mixture.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I daresay the remnants of salty, slushy puddles will find its way in .

But all the way back to my old Volvo 740, anytime I've dismantled an inner rear brake disc handbrake system
it has looked surprisingly uncontaminated.

I think the secret is to use it on every journey , to ignore the park brake for 364 days a year yet expect it to
to work with 100% efficiency on MOT day is expecting too much of motor engineering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts