Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just checking to see if any of you have had the same problem that I often occurs with my parking/emergency brake. I often find that my brake is on, when I get in my car, even though I know that I did not put it on. I have found that it does this on it own, even when I'm not parked on a hill. It is so annoying! I will start driving, not knowing that it is on, and the sensor will beep at me. Anyone else experincing this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Could it be that your hitting it on your way out of the car? I've found that all you have to do is literally tap the pedal for the parking break light to come on. Just a thought.

·
Registered
411 Posts
GoBlue said:
Could it be that your hitting it on your way out of the car? I've found that all you have to do is literally tap the peddle for the parking break light to come on. Just a thought.
It's common in the 300's, the lever is extra sensistive, happens often to me..Just pull on it

·
Registered
701 Posts
SpeedyGee said:
Just checking to see if any of you have had the same problem that I often occurs with my parking/emergency brake. I often find that my brake is on, when I get in my car, even though I know that I did not put it on. I have found that it does this on it own, even when I'm not parked on a hill. It is so annoying! I will start driving, not knowing that it is on, and the sensor will beep at me. Anyone else experincing this?
If you are really not pushing the pedal by mistake, then you should take this problem to the dealer. I don't have this problem.

Probably I don't hit the pedal by mistake because I use the feature that automatically moves the seat back and raises the steering wheel when I turn off the car. It's great!:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
artichoke said:
If you are really not pushing the pedal by mistake, then you should take this problem to the dealer. I don't have this problem.

Probably I don't hit the pedal by mistake because I use the feature that automatically moves the seat back and raises the steering wheel when I turn off the car. It's great!:biggrin:

It happens to me once or twice a month, and I use the seat glide feature. I don't know if I clip the e-brake pedal with my big feet when getting in or out, but when the 'ding' sounds I just flick the release handle. Apparently DC likes to get that warning light lit and the chime ringing at the slightest provocation, perhaps because the same switch is used to turn off the DRL's and they don't really want the e-brake to start to engage when all that is required is to turn off the DRL's?

It could be worse. I used to have one of those "Better Idea" Fords with a plastic t-handle e-brake release on the bottom left end of the dash that would catch the cuff on my pants and hang me up. One day I broke the handle off of the rod. When I replaced the t-handle I remounted the whole assembly forward about an inch. No more problem. So much for the "Better Idea" phrase.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know for a fact that I am not hitting the pedal. I have the same seat feature set up, and I have monitored this problem for a while, looks like I will have to add it to my list for the dealer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This happens to me quite often as well. I just assumed I was grazing the parking break upon entering...even with the "easy exit/entry" enabled. When I pull the release I don't feel the break pedal move but the light goes out. Just a quirk that I've learned to live with.

SpeedyGee said:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Happens to me too. Just happened today again. Glad you posted this, I was going to ask that very same question. This is going into my list for the dealer along with my subwoofer-rattling trunk lid.

·
Registered
227 Posts
haas is right. It is very common in the 300. The parking brake is real sensistive. The parking brake is not on, just the light. The slightest touch will make the light go on.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Could be the temp

Steve Desjardins said:
anytime. It happens all the time even if you think you don't hit it. Sometimes you will hit it when you exit the vehicle.

sometimes the plastic shrinks in certain ways and moves around to trigger things , I think it happens in colder places..I used to have a car that the horn would start up by itself. It was caused by the overlay/skin on the center of the steering wheel shrinking from the extreme cold. I always had to pull the fuse out in the winter.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I hate shrinkage due to cold.....with that said, I have the same issue with the brake light on sometimes and I don't believe I'm hitting the PB on exit?:biggrin:

·
Registered
110 Posts
add me to this list. it happens to me about once a week.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i do it about every other time i get into the car. i think if i look at it too long, it will set.

don't sweat it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
SpeedyGee,
say it...
say it...
I'm a parking brake accidental hitter...

that's it!!!
first step on the road to recovery...

don't worry - we've all done it...

·
Registered
231 Posts
cbutler32 said:
SpeedyGee,
say it...
say it...
I'm a parking brake accidental hitter...

that's it!!!
first step on the road to recovery...

don't worry - we've all done it...

LOL thats too funny

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Let me hopefully settle this .

My dealer , www.walser.com indicated that there is a "service bulletin" on this issue . They explained that this is a vulnerability and the driver is encouraged to not bump the pedal while entering the vehicle. In other words , it is a nuisance and not important enough and/or too expensive for Chrylser to fix , so we are supposed to live with it. And I guess that , if that is the worst problem i have , life is pretty darn good. I d rather publicly fund bus passes for all left lane slugs driving 45-59mph who worship the so called global warming cause , given the choice. Cheers!

Trader John
PS. My bad ass Pirelli Scorpian P255 VR 50 19 snow tires are a blast on dry, I tear around cloverleafs and still rip right up snow covered hills. But , I cant wait to put the hockey pucks (P255 45ZR20 Goodyears) back on when it reaches 45-50 degrees F.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think the pedal return spring is - not - quite - exerting enough tension force.

Zilla

1 - 20 of 29 Posts