Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parking brake needs adjustment?

I'm finding that I have to kick the parking brake in a little firmer than I would expect just to hold my car still in the driveway. Should I get the parking brake looked at?

·
Registered
10 Posts
i noticed the same thing, but attributed it to just being a Very heavy car.... im curious to know as well tho, but i suspect that what u and i are experiencing, Everyone is experiencing, and probably isnt a problem at all....

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had my car on my driveway, which slopes a few degrees. I stuck it in neutral and pressed the brake, it continued to roll. I pressed on it much harder, and it held. Just another data point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had never used my parking brake but the brake light came on this morning. I remember someone else had this problem. I pushed in the parking brake and then released it and the light went off. Hopefully this is not the sign of a problem.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have on several ocassions "touched" the parking brake pedal with my foot when entering the vehicle producing the warning light when I start it up. I just pull the release lever and the light goes out. That puppy is sensitive! Depression of the pedal 1mm must set that warning light!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have noticed that once in awhile, my brake light is on...Has anyone noticed, if you even "tap" the parking brake (which may happen when you exit) it will trigger the parking brake....I mean, even a tap...Can someone check this for me? perhaps I need an adjustment--or is it a design flaw???

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yup. Same thing happens here. Several times - in about a month of ownership. Probably like 8-10x between my wife and I.

If you go into "Easter Egg" mode on the EVIC, it'll tell you where the fault was... (Parking brake.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
It happened to me about 3 times in first 2000 miles but not recently. Brake release turns it off easily. I have not been aware that I actually bumped the brake to make the light come on and I have not been able to make it come on by deliberately bumping it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
"Easter Egg Mode" is achieved by pressing the "N" button on the right inner portion of the steering wheel with the music note button on the left inner side of the steering wheel - hold both down together for 6 seconds, and you get detailed info about what's going on with the car. It's really cool! :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Brake light alarm periodically comes on without provocation here.
A simply tug on the parking brake handle solves the problem - but why?
Glitch I guess.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't had the light come on unexpectedly, but my parking brake is not holding the car in my driveway unless I give it a good kick. Usually those light problems are in a switch mounted next to the pedal. We'll see if the dealer fixes mine today.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Took my "C" into the dealer yesterday for oil change, filter, and rotate wheels. Asked also why my parking brake is so sensitive that the light comes on very often.

Advisor said that after checking, my master brake cylinder was slightly low. It was topped off, no further problem.

Related, I asked why I practically have to stand on the parking brake to get it to hold, Advisor said that the brake is a small drum inside the left rear wheel only. The cable was adjusted as far as it could safely be tightened without causing the brake to drag. Still isn't what I would call a valid emergency brake. Maybe PARKING is exactly what is meant. Go figger.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Suspected as much but haven't had time to look it up. Will do and follow up with the guy next time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I too have this "issue." I did notice that a slight touch of the brake causes the indicator to come on. This has happened twice, I will now pay closer attention.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts