Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I appreciate that this has been discussed many times before but would welcome any advice on this please.

I have owned the car (2007 CRD) for a couple of years but the parking brake never seems to work that well. I understand the previous owner of 7 years hardly used the parking brake. I have the MOT soon and am not sure it will pass on the parking brake.

Most of the time when I tread on the parking brake pedal, it goes 'clunk' in two or three positions and the pedal goes a good distance towards the floor.

If I tread really hard it does hold the car to some degree but certainly not on any kind of hill.

Should I be hearing a 'clunk' when I tread on the pedal?
I have read about the actuators and adjusting the parking brake in the rear hub. What are the things I should be doing with the parking brake in regard to regular servicing?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Definitely the actuators. They seize and cause that clunk. Take the brakes apart, clean or replace the actuators, copper grease them. Then reassemble and adjust

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
There's a reasonable video here: Link though you don't have to take the bearing off as explained in the video.

Adjustment process for the parking brake here: Link

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent, many thanks for the further info, that is really helpful.

I have read in the forums that some owners do seem to have a smooth pedal action while others have had a ratchet type clicking action, which I assumed meant there were 2 different types of parking brake mechanism.

Mine definitely doesn't work well though, it does sometimes if I stand really hard on the pedal, but the click/clunk makes me feel slightly nervous!

I've looked at the video and it looks like it may be quite challenging for me, but may have a go in a couple of weeks before the MOT. When you say no need to remove the bearing, do you mean the section of video where he removes the hub? (from around 6:10 on the video where he removes the rotor/disc up to 9:00)

I see they sell a service kit in the Custom Shop, so I guess it may be worth getting one of these:

......actually, if I do not need to do the section from 6:10 to 9:00 it doesn't look too difficult.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I've had my car from new in 2006, but never had an issue with the parking brake - no clicks when operating, other than a single click when releasing.
However, I've never been impressed with its efficiency and always surprised when it gets through the MOT without comment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts