Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Been loving my '12 300C, but of course itching to do some mods... OTOH I am inclined to try to upgrade to the lifetime warranty (Usually keep vehicles well past 100k miles, so it seems like potentially a good investment).

My understanding is anything MOPAR branded that's a basic bolt on (exhaust, CAI etc) is a no-brainer. I know most of these mod types still wouldn't legally void the warranty, but I'd want it to be a basic no brainer, don't want to fight with a dealership to prove that something did or did not cause a fault.

1) Lots of people talk about the diablo tuner, but I thought I also saw somewhere that the car tracks that it has been reflashed. If you had a major engine fault, and a dealer can tell the car was reflashed wouldn't that be a warranty killer? Or is it invisible to the dealer?

2) Is there any proven performance gain with the MOPAR exhaust/CAI, or is it just for sound?

3) Does the Mopar exhaust have the dreaded "MDS Drone"?

What else is there that's worth-while and won't cause a fight over warranty coverage?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't have specific answers to all your questions but I do want to clarify that mods do not "void" the entire warranty on your car. They only void the warranty on the system that the mod is related to.

For example, if your window switch stops working but you have a tuner on the car, the dealership isn't going to deny you a window switch warranty. The tuner has no relation to the window switch. However, if you have any type of engine problems with the tuner (knocking, pinging, engine explodes) and try to get it covered under warranty, you will get denied.

I also want to point out that I've had modded cars at the dealership for service and they make damn sure to document whatever they see. For example, they always do those 21 point checks or whatever during an oil change. Well, under "suspension" it said "unable to check: aftermarket suspension installed" and under "check exhaust system" is said "unable to check: aftermarket exhaust system installed, no smog equipment."

So just keep that in mind. They document it all.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have specific answers to all your questions but I do want to clarify that mods do not "void" the entire warranty on your car. They only void the warranty on the system that the mod is related to.

For example, if your window switch stops working but you have a tuner on the car, the dealership isn't going to deny you a window switch warranty. The tuner has no relation to the window switch. However, if you have any type of engine problems with the tuner (knocking, pinging, engine explodes) and try to get it covered under warranty, you will get denied.

I also want to point out that I've had modded cars at the dealership for service and they make damn sure to document whatever they see. For example, they always do those 21 point checks or whatever during an oil change. Well, under "suspension" it said "unable to check: aftermarket suspension installed" and under "check exhaust system" is said "unable to check: aftermarket exhaust system installed, no smog equipment."

So just keep that in mind. They document it all.
Yes, I'm aware of the first part, but the main thing I'm concerned about would be the drivetrain, which is what would be affected by modifications in general. i.e. I saw something about a recall for certain cars that excludes the 300C, but includes other cars with the same engine.

Your second statement is exactly what I would be concerned about.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i just read this and not 2 minutes ago i started a thread about the tuner itself too. hopefully someone can give us the direct answer about it as i am curious to start doing engine mods too and don't want to have a prob at the dealer either cause they use any excuse to say you have to pay.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You guys seem to have a good understanding of what mods do to a warranty, which is more than I can say for most forums posts. If you install any modification then you are basically opening yourself up to the discretion of the tech, service advisor, or service manager. The results of this could simply be, "yeah we understand engineering and there isn't any way the CAI caused your transmission not to go into reverse", or "oh you modified the powertrain for more power so that caused it". So in reality there is no answer to this question, you will have to accept what could be some risk when doing any mod based on who is making the warranty claim decision. You will hear stories of people who had no trouble, and stories like the one above that document everything for future claims. How much do you trust your dealer?
As for tuners, IMO you're playing with fire there. A dealer will be able to point to it as the cause for a whole lot of issues, including electrical, if they so choose.
I have a CAI and a Magnaflow exhaust on mine and it has improved my gas mileage by about 2 mpg, but as for performance, eh, who knows, not much from the butt dyno. I just wanted better sound. As I understand it the Mopar exhausts are made by Corsa? They definitely do the best job of removing drone that I have seen.
When you say "performance" are you just talking about straight line speed? There are plenty of other performance mods you can do, strut tower braces, stiffer sway bars, coil over suspension, big brake kit, etc...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Would like a bit more effortless "down-low" torque, I am a little surprised that this engine seems to like high RPM..
Really not looking into suspension mods, actually if anything would be looking to swap my 20" wheels for 18" to get a softer ride... My driving is mostly straight line interstate, so I like a comfy ride, and passing power... I want a modern interpretation of a 60's Cadillac lol.

Do the SRT8 have the "Mopar" exhaust, or something else? I drove a manufacturers demo SRT 300 (2nd gen) a couple years ago, and remember being honestly underwhelmed with the car itself but LOVED the exhaust note.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts